webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Who/what do you use to serve in-app advertising?
Who/what do you use to serve in-app advertising?

Old 08/17/2011, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'd like to make my app have a free option with advertising served in it. Who does everyone use for this?
6tr6tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2011, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mobile Advertising | Buy Ads | Monetize Traffic | AdMob
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

if you login to admob now it says webos support being DC'd along with rest of admob wap 9/30/2011.

how do we get ads now? free app developers need the revenue. What other ad model works (show us your code)
EasyPulse - free HR calculator
cyberprashant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
if you login to admob now it says webos support being DC'd along with rest of admob wap 9/30/2011.

how do we get ads now? free app developers need the revenue. What other ad model works (show us your code)
Here's what it say:

Google and AdMob are aligning mobile product portfolios to deliver industry leading tools for advertisers and publishers. As part of this review, support for webOS ad serving on the AdMob network will be discontinued on September 30, 2011.
Thanked By: ghostinator
Old 10/16/2011, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

as 2 days ago looks like adserving on webos has completely STOPPED by admob. They gave a 15 days grace but I see no alternatives at the moment.

If someone finds an alternative please post your code and links.
Old 10/17/2011, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

There literally aren't any others that support webOS ad delivery, and attempting to use Adsense for Mobile Sites as a workaround will get you banned from Google's ad services, guaranteed. If Admob finally dropped webOS, it means effectively all 'free' apps on webOS that don't use an internal ad-serving platform (such as those used in apps backed by larger companies) are now non-revenue generating and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

The relatively low adoption rate of webOS compared to other platforms was a big factor in Radio Hibiki not going the 'free' route to start out--and eventually not at all--because AdMob's support was very tenuous and their 'support' was never truly official to begin with. The ads that came up were typically irrelevant as a result. I hear it worked out for some, but it was never for me.

The best option for those that rely on revenue at this point is to switch to a paid model and add features that make their app worth the money while putting their free versions into a 'maintenance-only' release mode. It sucks, but that's the reality of doing business on a platform widely perceived as dead.

Last edited by vanadium; 10/17/2011 at 12:45 AM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2012, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
There literally aren't any others that support webOS ad delivery, and attempting to use Adsense for Mobile Sites as a workaround will get you banned from Google's ad services, guaranteed. If Admob finally dropped webOS, it means effectively all 'free' apps on webOS that don't use an internal ad-serving platform (such as those used in apps backed by larger companies) are now non-revenue generating and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

The relatively low adoption rate of webOS compared to other platforms was a big factor in Radio Hibiki not going the 'free' route to start out--and eventually not at all--because AdMob's support was very tenuous and their 'support' was never truly official to begin with. The ads that came up were typically irrelevant as a result. I hear it worked out for some, but it was never for me.

The best option for those that rely on revenue at this point is to switch to a paid model and add features that make their app worth the money while putting their free versions into a 'maintenance-only' release mode. It sucks, but that's the reality of doing business on a platform widely perceived as dead.
has anyone found an alternative advertiser? I've ported to phonegap android my apps and the following code works there - supported for mobile now since admob for mobile discontinued

But I think my mojo skills are rusty - can anyone figure out how I can get this to run in a good old mojo (not enyo) app.

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "ca-pub-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
/* ad */
google_ad_slot = "xxxxxxxxxxxxx";
google_ad_width = 320;
google_ad_height = 50;
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>
Old 08/14/2012, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I use Millenial Media .. you could probably pretty easily get something working based on this ..

https://github.com/ericblade/mmAdView
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: 6tr6tr
Old 11/07/2012, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I use Millenial Media .. you could probably pretty easily get something working based on this ..

https://github.com/ericblade/mmAdView
Sorry I'm seeing this so late but thanks!
6tr6tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Or you could use in-app-purchasing. Tweetpad (a webOS Twitter client) uses in-app purchasing to unlock some features. Paying is via the same webOS account that's tied to the App Catalogue.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0