Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By peterlemonjello
  • 1 Post By peterlemonjello
  • 2 Post By foxfirex
  • 1 Post By foxfirex
  1.    #1  
    Can someone write a simple app that stops pulseaudio then starts pulseaudio? This would be the easiest way to restore sound once it quits working on the Touchpad.

Or if someone could guide me I wouldn't mind writing the app
    dadueler likes this.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    you can restart it via Xterm/Xecutah running
    Code:
    killall pulseaudio & /usr/bin/pulseaudo --log-target=syslog &
    or just add the line to a shellscript
    <thread moved>
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by moris View Post
    Code:
    Yeah, that's similar to what I do now. It would be much easier if there were a simple app we could install via preware. Then just click on the app icon to execute the command. A lot of people aren't going to have Xterm/Xecutah installed.
    dadueler likes this.
    +1

I would deeply appreciate this. I am losing sound ALL the time now. It is getting very frustrating having to restart the TP. Anyways, thanks to whoever might consider this -Grand
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Was actually thinking the same thing myself recently, and decided to give it a shot. Got an initial version up to the Preware testing feeds, and if all goes well should move into the normal feeds after a bit. Called PulseAudio Restarter, does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxFireX View Post
    Was actually thinking the same thing myself recently, and decided to give it a shot. Got an initial version up to the Preware testing feeds, and if all goes well should move into the normal feeds after a bit. Called PulseAudio Restarter, does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Can you post your source somewhere? I'd like to see how you shelled out to the OS.

Thanks in advance,
    Twack
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    Can you post your source somewhere? I'd like to see how you shelled out to the OS.

Thanks in advance,
    Twack
    It should be available over on the webos-internals GIT repository. It's based on their Hello! app which shows what I did and lots more.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Sorry for the double-post, but for anyone interested, the app has graduated to the public feed of webos-internals, and is now available through Preware or other fine homebrew installation services.
    dadueler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by moris View Post
    Code:
    Somehow, this doesn't feel right. For one thing, there is a trivial spelling mistake. See how the second "pulseaudio" is spelled "pulseaudo"...

Then if you do that, you loose the UI sounds, like the sounds when you throw a card, take a picture, etc. Please do NOT USE THE LINE ABOVE (EVEN TYPO-CORRECTED)!

Don't ask me why , but the right way to do this is:

Code:
    stop pulseaudio; stop audiod; start pulseaudio; start audiod; systemSoundsLoader
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    FoxFireX--1st, thanks for doing this. BUT, I had a question. Fortunately, I have yet to lose audio. Would it be a good idea to download the app from preware just to have when I needed it or do you recommend not bothering unless we need have lost audio & need it?

Thanks.
    When I try to restart the sounds on my pre (Sprint original), it gives me the error "Node Restart Service not available." Is there a service that I am supposed to download? If so, I do not see it in Preware. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    FoxFireX--1st, thanks for doing this. BUT, I had a question. Fortunately, I have yet to lose audio. Would it be a good idea to download the app from preware just to have when I needed it or do you recommend not bothering unless we need have lost audio & need it?

Thanks.
    Up to you. It should be immediately useable after installing, so if you'd rather not download until needed that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat0909 View Post
    When I try to restart the sounds on my pre (Sprint original), it gives me the error "Node Restart Service not available." Is there a service that I am supposed to download? If so, I do not see it in Preware. Thanks!
    Original pre? What verison of webOS are you running? If 1.4.5, it may not support the method used by the app, so we may need to lock it down to 2.x and later.
    Yeah. I'm running 1.4.5. Darn. I guess i'm stuck to cleaning out my headphone jack with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Thanks for the App anyways FoxFire. When I (hopefully) get my touchpad, I will be sure to re-download.
    very grateful for pulseaudio, but any chance of adding a scheduling option? would love to run this automatically a few minutes before my alarm goes off to make sure, you know, the alarm goes off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    very grateful for pulseaudio, but any chance of adding a scheduling option? would love to run this automatically a few minutes before my alarm goes off to make sure, you know, the alarm goes off.
    This would be an awesome idea. I was just thinking about adding a thread like this when I ran across this post. It shouldn't be too hard to do. It can be set independently or if possible conjunction with the alarm function
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219