Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello all, I am not not to read any site that has indian fonts (hindi, gujarati). Is there an easy way to add these fonts support in the browser or via some app? Supporting these languages is important if HP wants to go to India.

ReadGujarati.com | Read Gujarati Literature Online is an example of site that does not load
    Quote Originally Posted by bp1001 View Post
    hello all, I am not not to read any site that has indian fonts (hindi, gujarati). Is there an easy way to add these fonts support in the browser or via some app? Supporting these languages is important if HP wants to go to India.

ReadGujarati.com | Read Gujarati Literature Online is an example of site that does not load
    submit a feature request to HP.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    submit a feature request to HP.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bp1001 View Post

Do this (WARNING: doing this might stop you from viewing japanese characters. if you want to keep a backup of the font first, do a receive file of /usr/share/fonts/Heisei_Kaku_Gothic_nb.ttf to a location on your machine):
    -copy "Arial Unicode MS" font from C:\winodws\fonts to c:\
    -rename the "arialuni.ttf" file to "Heisei_Kaku_Gothic_nb.ttf"
    -use WebOS Quick Install to send the file to "/usr/share/fonts"
    awesome, was looking for this...works perfectly!
    I did the same as you describe but nothing happen hindi font is still showing as small boxes some thing like [] [][][]][ please suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by abhay View Post
    I did the same as you describe but nothing happen hindi font is still showing as small boxes some thing like [] [][][]][ please suggest.

what site are you trying to view?
    Quote Originally Posted by ptrshah View Post
    Do this (WARNING: doing this might stop you from viewing japanese characters. if you want to keep a backup of the font first, do a receive file of /usr/share/fonts/Heisei_Kaku_Gothic_nb.ttf to a location on your machine):
    Hello. Can you not just install arial unicode MS font file? Thanks.
    I tried installing arialuni.ttf on its own. It didn't work. When i replaced the japanese fonts, it worked fine. Not sure how to explain or make sense out of it. Thanks. does anyone know how to explain this?
    @ptrshah - Thanks, this worked for viewing the link in the OP. Now if we could only get this to work in the Facebook app. Hindi characters still show up as [][][][] in the Facebook app.

PS: Can someone please uplink the original 'Heisei_Kaku_Gothic_nb.ttf' file. I forgot to back it up before over writing it. Thanks.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    \

i followed your steps and still did not work, can someone upload their arial unicode MS font file please? i downloaded one from a website but it didnt work.
    what i have found after playing with this for a while is that, the font hack only fixes the issue to a certain extent. WebOS/Browser is still not able to handle the complex characters (eg. combining multiple parts to form a single character) properly. I'm thinking the OS might not have support for it.

I have added a post in the feature request thread, we should get more ppl to vote for it, so some dev with a better knowledge of the kernel internals can take a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznarth View Post
    \

i followed your steps and still did not work, can someone upload their arial unicode MS font file please? i downloaded one from a website but it didnt work.

what site were you trying to visit? essentially, you should be able to take any gujarati/hindi/indic font, and replace the mentioned font to get text to display on screen. ( I chose arialuni because it has support for multiple languages)
    if your site uses a specific font, download that font from the website and just load it directly to "/usr/share/fonts" folder. That should work too...
    a few example websites that do not load properly:

gujaratsamachar.com

sandesh.com

i want to see if there is a workaround as well
    Quote Originally Posted by PreNewbieSV View Post
    if your site uses a specific font, download that font from the website and just load it directly to "/usr/share/fonts" folder. That should work too...
    how would you exactly "download the font from the website"? I use this website: Gujarat Samachar : World's Leading Gujarati Newspaper
    font is located on this page:
    Gujarat Samachar Online :: Help

direct link to download:
    http://www.gujaratsamachar.com/Gopika.zip
    I followed the steps exactly.. this is what i did

1. Started up WebOS quick install
    2. went to: send file
    3. added the font from my computer (Gopika)
    4. added the destination (/usr/share/fonts)
    5.pressed install
    6. restarted my touchpad
    7. no difference.. the same thing [][][][][]
    what am i doing wrong?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    did anyone manage to get gujaratsamachar or sandesh work? on my pre I use m.newshunt.com/Sandesh but it does not work on touchpad!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    both GS and Sandesh works on my touchpad now!
    few things:
    1. make sure you clear cache and cookies
    2. I transferred the Arial Unicode MS font as per post #4 but my extension was .TTF so basically it didn't overwrite the Heisei_Kaku_Gothic_nb.ttf. I renamed it and now it also works.
    3. After step 2 sites didn't work so I transferred Gopika.ttf (without renaming) but GS still didn't work.

Only after step 2, I was able to view properly

Thanks OP!
    Last edited by T-ulk; 08/30/2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Changed step 3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast