Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NickA
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I'm quite interested in becoming an app developer, or at least, someone who understands the process and has a decent understanding of whats involved. I am specifically interested in WebOS, of course.

I'm posting this from a touchpad and my Sprintified Palm Pre 2 is sitting next to me, with a few family members who are running the original Pre and the original Pixi. I'm quite a fan of WebOS and the more I use Android, iOs, and WP7, the more I am convinced that WebOS is the superior OS for me. Seems I'll be sticking around and I guess I have some ideas... And want a piece of the action. I want to contribute to the platform and am in a good place to get into this now.

So, how do I get started? This has been asked before of course, but much of the information seems slightly out of date, and I'm sure there are a few people in a similar position to me. So before hanging out on the HP developer page, which assumes one has at least some programming experience, where might one start? Is it still recommended to get comfortable with JavaScript before playing with anything else? Is this the best route to go?

Is w3schools recommended for this? I know there are quite a few developers that aren't too fond of their method. Any free alternatives? Thoughts?

Lets say one were to learn JavaScript (and this is the best route to get started), what would be the next step? The link between basic skills and platform-specific development? What about paid software which allows for cross-platform development, is this a wiser route to go? Thoughts?

I apologise as some of this has obviously been asked and discussed before, but I was hoping to initiate a new and current discussion on this process.

I also wanted to thank everyone who contributes to this website, which I spend a ridiculous amount of time on. And especially thanks to the homebrew guys, I never would have stuck around so long without everything you do!
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Just to add to the OP post: where are all the tutorials? I downloaded the SDK and everything else. I can't seem to find any info on enyo or how to get started.
    Yes, you still need to know HTML/CSS/JavaScript to develop for webOS. The only thing that's really different is the move from Mojo to Enyo. If you only intend to support the TouchPad and newer devices, then you can focus just on Enyo. (If you want to support webOS 1.4.5 or 2.x, then your life gets harder since you have to support both Mojo and Enyo)

The official Enyo tutorials are here:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../tutorial.html
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._tutorial.html

Start with these. They'll at least get you past the basics.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Thanks for those links Richard. I've been a developer for 15+ years, and whenever I get a new device the way I get to know it is to see how easy it is to create an application for it.
    RickNeff likes this.