Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DanPLC
  • 1 Post By JED-WEB-OS
  1.    #1  
    There are so many bright developers out there... Is it possible to emulate webOS on Android?

What I've heard against it before is that Android lacks the gesture area...ok, fine, I'll give that up since Touchpad lacks it too but still has webOS.

Synergy is probably tough. Ok, I'll give that up too. At the end of the day, what I really want is the webOS UI and its card navigation. There are some card-based Android task managers - e.g., Itching Thumb, but it's a far cry from webOS.

I'm so tired of waiting for the next phone and being on Sprint, I've all but given up. In the android space, there are teams like CyanogenMod cranking out ROMs. How can we get enough interest to put a webOS overlay on Android? Just imagine a Galaxy S2 running a version of webOS...
    It takes a change in the license for webOS, since the current license does not allow for such things. It is not open source.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It takes a change in the license for webOS, since the current license does not allow for such things. It is not open source.

-- Rod
    When the OP says "emulate", I think he means mimic its features vs. actually installing webOS on Android. I may be wrong though.

The biggest thing about webOS is probably cards. Even though there are card-based task managers for Android, I don't think the card metaphor works well for Android. Android takes a different approach to multitasking. Instead of the user managing their open apps, the OS does. So while you can kill apps (which could be depicted by swiping away a card), you can't specify which apps should always remain open. So your cards would still be managed by the OS.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    nyuepik likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    How about an emulator like CLASSIC, the real challenge to WEBOS survivable is not the PRE3, 4, 5.... its the ability to run WEBOS in other machines so now the consumer has access to devices. I can tell you guys that there are out there a world of very impressive phones that are not within reach in the WEBOS community.
    If I could run WEBOS in something like Motorola PHOTON…..
    HP has to convince the HTC’s of the world to release phones with WEBOS then and only then I believe people will really have a chance to experience what WEBOS can do.
    I don't know how hard it would be to emulate WebOS on Android, but I would think it would be a formable task. Especially since you can't even emulate Android 3.x.x Honeycomb on Android 2.3.x Gingerbread or 2.2.x Froyo or 2.0.x/2.1.x Eclair. Android is convoluted enough without trying to push the functionality of another Operating System into it.
    Last edited by JED-WEB-OS; 08/02/2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    RoverNole likes this.
    What Dan said. Android multi-tasking is completely different, and is much more like how services are handled on WebOS than how cards are handled.

Also, you need to distinguish between the Enyo/Mojo framework, which gives WebOS its feel, and the actual OS, which is really just a glorified implementation of webkit (except for the fact that it buggy, doesn't implement half the more advanced features, and couldn't render its way out of a paper-bag) with a novel way of handling page transitions.