Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have spent most of today googleing around to try and find a good guide on how to install Ubuntu on the touchpad without much success. Could anyone link me to what I am looking for. Also has anyone done this and had an experience using gcc and emacs on Ubuntu on the touchpad because I am hoping to use this to do some c programming and compiling.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section

Thanks in advance

James
    the key bindings aren't all worked out for the touchpad yet, so you won't be able to use ctrl sequences in text editors yet. That rules out nano and vi, dunno about emacs. Because of this i've installed gcc but don't know how well it actually works
    Last edited by FenrirWolf; 07/25/2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    the key bindings aren't all worked out for the touchpad yet, so you won't be able to use ctrl sequences in text editors yet. That rules out nano and vi, dunno about emacs. Because of this i've installed gcc but don't know how well it actually works
    Not only what the above text says, but the ubuntu chroot and the other apps that are necessary are for EAP firmware only at the moment.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    They work on normal firmware but you need the bluetooth keyboard since the virtual one won't come up.
    Step one: Set up meta-doctor (find the wiki on webOS internals)
    open the makefile and uncomment the ext3 partition 2gb option. this takes away 2gb from your USB drive and makes a partition for ubuntu to use. You need to make the partition mount later.

doctor your touchpad with the meta-doctor you just made.

You need to follow the meta-doctor wiki and add a section of code to a document so that the ext 3 partition mounts on boot. Look it up.

Now install executah, xserver, and ubuntu churoot usuing preware.

run xserver and then ubuntu. Now use apt-get install to install stuff. I installed LXDE for a GUI.
    jbg7474 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Step one: Set up meta-doctor (find the wiki on webOS internals)
    open the makefile and uncomment the ext3 partition 2gb option. this takes away 2gb from your USB drive and makes a partition for ubuntu to use. You need to make the partition mount later.

doctor your touchpad with the meta-doctor you just made.

You need to follow the meta-doctor wiki and add a section of code to a document so that the ext 3 partition mounts on boot. Look it up.

Now install executah, xserver, and ubuntu churoot usuing preware.

run xserver and then ubuntu. Now use apt-get install to install stuff. I installed LXDE for a GUI.

I feel like a 4th grader again!!!

I understand NONE of this... LOL
    morrison0880 likes this.
    Is the lack of ability to raise the on-screen keyboard the only thing that really requires the developer beta firmware (as described by the Xecutah page in preware?)

I'm all meta-doctored and ready to go, if there isn't some other fundamental reason why it requires the developer beta firmware. I did 2GB on /var and then 4GB ext3. Is the increase on /var still necessary on the touchpad to avoid hitting app limits, like it is on the pre?

Also, anyone have a clue if the OTA update is even going to bring whatever is needed from the dev firmware to the official release? If it doesn't come with the OTA, and it's just keyboard access, can this be fixed with some kind of 'Show Keyboard option in Device Menu' patch?
    The dev firmware is just needed for the vkb as far as i've been able to tell.
    If I could boot into ubuntu or webos, I think I could ditch my netbook. Oh, how I'd love to do that.
    The cool part is that you do both. Ubuntu shows up in the x server card alongside your other webos programs.
    I am so doing this after my calc 3 final next week! I loved having linux before on my desktop, but needed a new windows pc so I could run autocad, and hate it... I wonder if this will run wine or vmware so we can watch netflix via browser? Anyone have a clue, I fully understand I may be remain, but hey ;-)
    I'm wondering if the Gnome 3 desktop might work better than Unity here? It appears more suited for tablet usage and I seem to recall there being a decent on-screen keyboard available.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I'm wondering if the Gnome 3 desktop might work better than Unity here? It appears more suited for tablet usage and I seem to recall there being a decent on-screen keyboard available.
    I haven't been able to find Wine for the particular kernel being used (that would be sweet) and the problem with using gnome is that it starts an additional Xserver window and that's already being used, so no 'startx'. LXDE is essentially a window manager and runs fine. Somebody asked me earlier to check on Eclipse which I was able to successfully install and run. I've also managed pretty decent RDP to Windows machines as well as smb connections.
    please post a semi step by step guide for this. Sounds sweet but I'm not sure where to start ...
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I haven't been able to find Wine for the particular kernel being used (that would be sweet)
    Wine is for running x86 applications using API translation. The TouchPad uses an ARM processor, not x86.

Unless there is a build of Wine out there with x86 CPU emulation (which would likely be awfully slow on a TouchPad), you'll only be running native applications in the Linux chroot.
    Quote Originally Posted by corn13read View Post
    please post a semi step by step guide for this. Sounds sweet but I'm not sure where to start ...
    Start Here:

Ubuntu Chroot

EDIT: Url Fixed.
    Last edited by kayphoonstar; 07/29/2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Start Here:

Ubuntu Chroot
    Not Found

The requested URL /wicki/UbuntuChroot was not found on this server.
    It works if you spell the URL with wiki instead of "wicki"
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    What's the easiest way to get flash on chromium? or alternatively install google chrome?
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast