Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    You can edit the scripts to bind-mount say, /media/internal/ into the chroot. Unsupported as an automated feature ATM, but just FYI.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    I have a very basic curiosity question guys. Do you think it is possible to install a full fledged version of Ubuntu, such as Unity on HP Touchpad, rather than installing a chrooted one?
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
    I have a very basic curiosity question guys. Do you think it is possible to install a full fledged version of Ubuntu, such as Unity on HP Touchpad, rather than installing a chrooted one?
    unity-2d works, already tried it, didnt attempt 3d tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As mentioned somewhere before, GnomeTerminal apparently works in LXDE.
    i think xfce4 is the nest best lightweight one, has no terminal issues.

i asked the devs of the package about the keyboard thing, they very kindly gave me a file to make it disappear, so im using all the screen now, they gave excelent instructions on how sort it all out, they did say that its coming soon the howto/option, so im not gonna step on their toes and give the file/howto, ill just let them release it all properly with a far better explanation.

id feel a bit of a tit posting it before them, but rest assured it does work and its a hell of a difference, i now only wish it took the HP Bluetooth keyboard longer before it goes into sleep mode after inactivity, theres a few sec delay when it wakes up and you can type properly.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/21/2011 at 09:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I ordered a BT keyboard (and a second TP at firesale prices). You know, my iPad2 is still way more useful for work, but I've had way more fun with my TP...it's my inner geek.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    People have probably already tried this, was a front page post doing it on windows not long ago on precentral.

so i just tried this in ubuntu chroot, old post but it works.

[howto] Mount your Box.Net account using WebDAV [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums

did what they said word for word and wham i have access, some here can probably tart that up so it works better ofc.

It then strikes me, can the imaged filesystem on webosinternals instructions be altered to use the box.net mount instead using the above method, and basically having your install fully or partially online leaving a minimal chroot local as an image and a script to start off any essentials.

basically instead of mounting /media/cryptofs/ubuntu.img /media/ext3fs

doing a sort of mount on http://www.box.net/dav /media/ext3fs instead?

would be quite amusing being able to host your entire OS online, provided you kept an amazingly slim install/setup.

can that work in any way? or at least get something stored in there, we got 50gb free, may as well use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    unity-2d works, already tried it, didnt attempt 3d tho.
    I am pretty sure there isn't a guide available on this anywhere. Can you just give me basic explanation as to what you did in order to achieve the 2d Unity version of ubuntu on touchpad. I mean I have it all chrooted and stuff, but how do I go about as to completely install Ubuntu Unity instead?

How was the performance working out for you when you tried that?
    I am pretty sure there isn't a guide available on this anywhere. Can you just give me basic explanation as to what you did in order to achieve the 2d Unity version of ubuntu on touchpad. I mean I have it all chrooted and stuff, but how do I go about as to completely install Ubuntu Unity instead?

How was the performance working out for you when you tried that?
    it was fine but then there was nothign really goin on that was all that taxing, i mostly cheated and just injected unity-2d right into a basic version of lxde, then xfce4, works over the top of any desktop environment.

cant remember which guide i read but was similar to this.
    Top Things to do after installing Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal | Unixmen

basically to start off, find an environment you like, gnome/xfce4/lxde/etc and just slap unity-2d over the top.

or failing that, i think i remember what i did originally.

i tried something like.

sudo apt-get install unity-2d-default-settings xorg synaptic

ill give that another try to make sure.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/22/2011 at 02:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    why do you have to install the xorg package if you're already running X11?
    Are you saying unity is not a window manager and has to run on top of lxde or xfce?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I love Ubuntu, hate Windows! What happened to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    why do you have to install the xorg package if you're already running X11?
    Are you saying unity is not a window manager and has to run on top of lxde or xfce?
    backup incase i used synaptics/sude to remove it all if it went horribly wrong, that + my fingers tend to autopilot it in from the start, accident there tbh, as for running unity-2d, yeah ive ran it over lxde/xfce/etc and tried it on its own, it did act a bit weird on its own, couldnt see a desktop kept getting the shell window stuck on top and couldnt fix that properly, it did work once, then went wrong after a reboot, still playing around tbh.

works fine overlapped onto an existing desktop, its when i want it pure/standalone/minimal its going strange.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/22/2011 at 05:13 PM.
    backup incase i used synaptics/sude to remove it all if it went horribly wrong, that + my fingers tend to autopilot it in from the start, accident there tbh, as for running unity-2d, yeah ive ran it over lxde/xfce/etc and tried it on its own, it did act a bit weird on its own, couldnt see a desktop kept getting the shell window stuck on top and couldnt fix that properly, it did work once, then went wrong after a reboot, still playing around tbh.

works fine overlapped onto an existing desktop, its when i want it pure/standalone/minimal its going strange.
    Thanks for the try. I am going to try it put it on top of my lxde as well and see how it operates. I guess I will go through synaptics for that.

Hmm, how'd you get the keyboard to hide? I'm guessing you're using a pre-release build of the app?
    If you hold down the keyboard button (bottom right) it will come up with a menu, choose XS and the keyboard will fit in the screen and not cover up the input area.
    Quote Originally Posted by premiso View Post
    If you hold down the keyboard button (bottom right) it will come up with a menu, choose XS and the keyboard will fit in the screen and not cover up the input area.
    I've added that help text to Xecutah 0.8.2

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by smith7018 View Post
    Hmm, how'd you get the keyboard to hide? I'm guessing you're using a pre-release build of the app?
    aye, asked the devs for the chance of the option so take advantage of my bluetooth keyboard, they very kindly gave me the file and excellent instructions, they said instructions/choice/patches for all coming soon anyways so left it at that.
    aye, asked the devs for the chance of the option so take advantage of my bluetooth keyboard, they very kindly gave me the file and excellent instructions, they said instructions/choice/patches for all coming soon anyways so left it at that.
    So I guess, we just have to wait for those patches to be available in preware, right?
    So I guess, we just have to wait for those patches to be available in preware, right?
    i don't want to annoy them by giving their own work away to the public at large before they do themselves, I just got lucky asking them before the massive disaster hit, they did say soon so thats not far away.
    No worries. I can wait. I just wanted to ask. Once again, Thanks for all your help here.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quick question, which I can't seem to find an answer for.

I got Chromium installed then installed lxde. At the end of the lxde install the keyboard closed and I couldn't bring it back. I then closed everything and reopened it, still no keyboard. I opened the built in browser and when I typed on the address bar no keyboard came up.

Not a problem, something obviously kicked something somewhere, so I restarted Luna. The keyboard came back to webOS and I can type fine, but in the Xterm the key mappings are all wrong, L prints 4, K I thing is Enter because the command prompt drops down a line, not one key I press prints the correct output. I closed it all then reopened the webOS browser and it worked fine.

Plan B is a full reboot, but I don't won't to do anything just yet as I can still use novaterm on the mac to jump in and edit things.

Couldn't see anyone with this issue. I have fiddled with Ubuntu plenty, just not sure what may have happened or just where to look.

By the way, using the tweaks menu I set the keyboard to XS, I did an apt-get update then and apt-get install chromium-browser, then apt-get install lxde. For both I installed any dependancies required and that is all I have typed in to the Xterm in that order.

Any suggestions?
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast