Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    Hello again,

I need to return my TouchPad to HP due to the cracks defect so I need to revert the software to factory fresh.

After I uninstall Ubuntu 11.04 , Xecutah, etc how do I delete/remove the Ext3 partition? I tried looking this up but couldn't find instructions anywhere.
    You'll need to lvremove the ext3fs partition, then increase the size of the USB partition.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Anyone know why Pidgin wouldn't be working? It loads up and then immediately crashes for me.

And yes, I prefer the native webOS messaging client, but at the same time it would be nice to occasionally use a full client to send files and that sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You'll need to lvremove the ext3fs partition, then increase the size of the USB partition.

-- Rod
    To remove the ext4fs partition don't you just type in 0 GB in meta-doctor? But then how do you make the USB partition bigger?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    To remove the ext4fs partition don't you just type in 0 GB in meta-doctor? But then how do you make the USB partition bigger?
    I don't believe recent trenchcoat's will remove partitions.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Anyone know why Pidgin wouldn't be working? It loads up and then immediately crashes for me.
    There may be relevant information being sent to stderr/stdout. The best way to see this is to launch pidgin from an xterm.

If there is any output you can have this written to a file. This is done by using the following syntax:
    Code:
    command &> filename
    The resulting file can then be uploaded or pasted so we can look at it.
    I don't believe recent trenchcoat's will remove partitions.

-- Rod
    How would I go about resetting the device then? Can't the stock webos doctor put the partitions back to normal?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Aaah, looks like the Pidgin issues are d-bus related:

Code:
    process 14642: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
    See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.

libindicate-ERROR **: Unable to get session bus: Cannot spawn a message bus without a machine-id: Unable to load /var/lib/dbus/machine-id: Failed to open file '/var/lib/dbus/machine-id': No such file or directory
    aborting...
    Aborted
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Aaah, looks like the Pidgin issues are d-bus related:

Code:
    process 14642: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
    See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.

libindicate-ERROR **: Unable to get session bus: Cannot spawn a message bus without a machine-id: Unable to load /var/lib/dbus/machine-id: Failed to open file '/var/lib/dbus/machine-id': No such file or directory
    aborting...
    Aborted
    cryptkcoding has a dbus fix which has not been rolled into the distributed package yet.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    How would I go about resetting the device then? Can't the stock webos doctor put the partitions back to normal?
    You would need to destroy all the LVM partitions, and then the doctor will initialise new ones.

-- Rod
    Installed Transmission and downloaded some torrents. I was surprised how well it worked.

At first I tried Deluge but it didn't work well. For some reason it wouldn't let me add torrents to download.
    You would need to destroy all the LVM partitions, and then the doctor will initialise new ones.

-- Rod
    So it won't initialize new ones by default? What would be a good way to "destroy" them? I poked around webOS Internals and found some emergency recovery instructions with a reference to wiping the LVMs, but they seemed somewhat antiquated and not for TouchPads.

Also, for some reason flash seems to get borked when I install a meta-doctored 3.0.2 (with enable devmode, autoinstall preware, enable testing feeds, and ext3 partition size 4GB). That didn't happen when I used a 3.0.0 md before the update so I'm not sure quite what I'm doing wrong there.
    Last edited by FenrirWolf; 08/12/2011 at 07:27 AM.
    Has anyone determined where the on-screen keyboard definitions are kept? and has anyone had success making modifications yet. I would like to attempt a thumb-centric keyboard version.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
    Has anyone determined where the on-screen keyboard definitions are kept? and has anyone had success making modifications yet. I would like to attempt a thumb-centric keyboard version.

Thanks
    In the closed binary LunaSysMgr.

-- Rod
    i've got a bit of an issue here: I've partitioned and mounted everything right, installed xeuctah and chroot (from an ipk; my wifi was spotty).

and when i select launch Ubuntu chroot, I don't get a command line. in card view I can see a command line flickering on and off, but when i select the Xserver card I can't input anything.

Did I miss something here?
    thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by christcentric View Post
    i've got a bit of an issue here: I've partitioned and mounted everything right, installed xeuctah and chroot (from an ipk; my wifi was spotty).

and when i select launch Ubuntu chroot, I don't get a command line. in card view I can see a command line flickering on and off, but when i select the Xserver card I can't input anything.

Did I miss something here?
    thanks in advance!
    Did you start XServer and then Ubuntu chroot ?

-- Rod
    yeah ... i did :/
    the command line flashes when i switch back to the Xserver card ... so I know that at least it's working. But I only get glimpses of it. In card view it's back to the x cursor and the dots screen...
    ok, i removed ubuntu, checked my fstab file again, ran the command mount -a, and i get this:

mount: mounting mount on -o failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting echo on "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs failed: No such file or directory
    ok, it's working now. guess i can't call myself anything but a noobcake
    I was just trying using an imagefile instead of metadoctoring according to the wiki as I donīt want to wipe my touchpad just now. Unfortunately, I ran into the same error that was posted here before in xecutah:

Service Error (Execute):
    Unable to Run command: /sbin/initctl start org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot 2>&1
    Initctl Unknown Job: org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot

Hereīs what I did so far, maybe I got it all totally wrong

First I installed xecutah from preware. Then I download the debsmall.img and copied it to media/cryptofs using webos quickinstall. After that I used the win7 cmd with the following commands:

Open terminal:
    Code:
    novacom -t open tty://
    Create the "ext3fs" folder:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir -p /media/ext3fs
    Resize the debsmall.img to 2 GB:
    Code:
    resize2fs /media/cryptofs/debsmall.img 2000M
    (verified that step with Internalz Pro on the touchpad)

Now I used the following commands from the webosinternals wiki regarding ubuntu chroot:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    mount -o loop /media/cryptofs/debsmall.img /media/ext3fs
    mount --bind /dev /media/ext3fs/dev
    mount -t devpts none /media/ext3fs/dev/pts
    mount -t proc none /media/ext3fs/proc
    mount -o bind /tmp /media/ext3fs/tmp
    So far, now errors.

Now I went back to preware and installed ubuntu chroot, also no errors.

I started xecutah, launched xserver, the window opens as expected. I get back to xecutah and launch ubuntu 11.04 Chroot and then I get the before mentioned error message:

Service Error (Execute):
    Unable to Run command: /sbin/initctl start org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot 2>&1
    Initctl Unknown Job: org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot

Did I miss anything?

EDIT:

I just reinstalled everything, xecutah, xserver, xterm and ubuntu chroot and retried it. Now I donīt get the error message in executah anymore, but itīs still not working poroperly. Most of the time I dontīsee anything in the xserver window, but sometimes I get to see whatīs written and it seems Iīm missing some files or folders. Hereīs whatīs being written on the xserver window:

Code:
    + CHROOT=/media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot
    + cp /etc/resolv.conf /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/etc/resolv.conf
    cp: canīt create '/media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/etc/resolv.conf': No such file or directory
    There are more errors like that after that, but as this first one is already failing I guess thereīs no point in rewriting the thing in here.

Using Internalz Pro I can see the media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/ folder, but inside are only two folders: "lost+found" and "usr".

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by heth; 08/13/2011 at 10:13 AM.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast