Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    [QUOTE=zane9000;3147636]Not right now. Google has not supplied a version compiled for ARM and I *think* it is closed source so you wont be able to compile it yourself.[/QUOTE

oh well, looks like the best bet to get google talk+video working is to wait for the gingerbread port. Hopefully they manage to get the FFC working in GB, so we can use Gtalk 1.3.
    I've just read on xda developers that using

lvm.static lvresize -L -2G /dev/store/media
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 2G -n ext3fs store
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/ext3fs

via novaterm

instead of meta-doctor should create the 2gb ext3 partition needed to install ubuntu, is that correct can anyone confirm this would be a simple non-destructive alternative to re-flashing the whole TP with meta-doctor?
    Quote Originally Posted by apoptygma View Post
    I've just read on xda developers that using

lvm.static lvresize -L -2G /dev/store/media
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 2G -n ext3fs store
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/ext3fs

via novaterm

instead of meta-doctor should create the 2gb ext3 partition needed to install ubuntu, is that correct can anyone confirm this would be a simple non-destructive alternative to re-flashing the whole TP with meta-doctor?
    As usual on XDA, the information is incomplete and without appropriate warnings.

Those commands will silently corrupt your USB store-media partition, causing it to be wiped the next time you reboot your device after you get within 2GB of using all the space in your USB store-media partition.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As usual on XDA, the information is incomplete and without appropriate warnings.

Those commands will silently corrupt your USB store-media partition, causing it to be wiped the next time you reboot your device after you get within 2GB of using all the space in your USB store-media partition.

-- Rod
    Could you then reformat /media/internal and not have that problem?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    NOOB Questions:
    1) Will META-DOCTOR process flatten my Touchpad (remove all my apps/configuration/data)?
    2) If answer to (1) is yes, is there a way to restore it other than manually rebuilding everything?

Thanks,

Dave
    Totally a linux noob here, but I prefer running libreoffice from the terminal, not under the LXDE GUI.

but if i do so, it doesn't maximize. I know for other programs like opera, there's a switch for launching it maximized

Does such a switch exist? Or am I stuck with using LXDE if I want it maximized?
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheels View Post
    NOOB Questions:
    1) Will META-DOCTOR process flatten my Touchpad (remove all my apps/configuration/data)?
    2) If answer to (1) is yes, is there a way to restore it other than manually rebuilding everything?

Thanks,

Dave
    I asked pretty much the same thing, As far as I can gather from the responses I've gotten the situation is that your palm profile should store any settings which you've uploaded to the cloud, the media partition should remain untouched, so you'll retain any music or pictures but the application data will be lost, so savegames etc, after the meta-doctor you'll be asked to agree/ sign in etc. like the first time you turned on the TP. I'm not clear on wether or not the applications you've downloaded from the catalog will auto-reinstall themselves (as they do on android after a rom flash) but it's safe to say backup everything you can as it's designed to clobber the entire system partition and there's no guarantee that *any* data will be retained.
    Quote Originally Posted by felixdd View Post
    Totally a linux noob here, but I prefer running libreoffice from the terminal, not under the LXDE GUI.

but if i do so, it doesn't maximize. I know for other programs like opera, there's a switch for launching it maximized

Does such a switch exist? Or am I stuck with using LXDE if I want it maximized?
    you can always start lxde as
    Code:
    lxsession -a & libreoffice --writer
    that starts lxde in window decorator mode only and launches libreoffice.
    any news on the onscreen keyboard and hiding option?

also what happens if i install chroot ubuntu via preware before mounting ext3fs in my fstab? i reinstalled it aftwards.

i installed majority of my preware stuff before mounting ext3fs in media (fstab)
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    bodhi linux has a tablet version in development. I can't get it the repo to work, but check out this page. I really like the keyboard they use. Any chance that can be ported over?

-well I guess I can't post links yet, but if you go over to the bodhi site you can check it out.
    So i've been playing around with this for a few days and i have 2 major issues.

First the known roblem of firefox crashing constantly. i've run it under xfce and lxde with the same results. anyone discovered a fix yet? i'd rather not have to use another browser b/c firefox has a lot of features i need.

second roblem is very strange. the p button on the virtual keyboard has stoPPed working in lowercase mode in xfce. it still works in webOS and i havent tried it out in lxde yet. very weird.

EDIT: p works just fine in lxde. only malfunctioning in xfce
    Last edited by gadugi; 09/17/2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by acithium View Post
    bodhi linux has a tablet version in development. I can't get it the repo to work, but check out this page. I really like the keyboard they use. Any chance that can be ported over?

-well I guess I can't post links yet, but if you go over to the bodhi site you can check it out.
    Bodhi (mostly) works under Debian chroot, but it's not ideal for use on the TP. For one thing, there is no right click emulation for Enlightenment, so it's not possible to configure layouts without using a mouse over WiFi or configuring mousekey emulation. Performance is also pretty bad, a native Bodhi port is what is needed. If you really want to use Enlightenment, just grab e17 from the Debian repos and choose Illume as your profile. The keyboard you see is a standard part of e17.
    I am Ubuntu noob but i managed to install Ubuntu chroot on my new hp touchpad 16GB using preware & Xecute. There's performance issues and I haven't been able to get adobe flashplayer working on firefox even though I did the apt-get install mozilla-plugin-gnash but i get "an error occured, please try again later" when i play a video on youtube. Has anyone been able to fix that?

My second question is, how did you change the screen to portrait? I saw a picture on flickr where the person had his chroot running in portrait. You've to google "ubuntu on touchpad flickr" to see that. (can't post links here)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadugi View Post
    So i've been playing around with this for a few days and i have 2 major issues.

First the known roblem of firefox crashing constantly. i've run it under xfce and lxde with the same results. anyone discovered a fix yet? i'd rather not have to use another browser b/c firefox has a lot of features i need.

second roblem is very strange. the p button on the virtual keyboard has stoPPed working in lowercase mode in xfce. it still works in webOS and i havent tried it out in lxde yet. very weird.

EDIT: p works just fine in lxde. only malfunctioning in xfce
    delete the custom app/keyboard shortcuts xfce sets up as default, their incompatible with our keyboard setups and affect the normal keys instead of keycombos, theres about 4-5 of them setup as default.
    Quote Originally Posted by aryob View Post
    I am Ubuntu noob but i managed to install Ubuntu chroot on my new hp touchpad 16GB using preware & Xecute. There's performance issues and I haven't been able to get adobe flashplayer working on firefox even though I did the apt-get install mozilla-plugin-gnash but i get "an error occured, please try again later" when i play a video on youtube. Has anyone been able to fix that?

My second question is, how did you change the screen to portrait? I saw a picture on flickr where the person had his chroot running in portrait. You've to google "ubuntu on touchpad flickr" to see that. (can't post links here)
    launch everything via xecutah in portrait before your chroot env is active.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenmasteR View Post
    any news on the onscreen keyboard and hiding option?

also what happens if i install chroot ubuntu via preware before mounting ext3fs in my fstab? i reinstalled it aftwards.

i installed majority of my preware stuff before mounting ext3fs in media (fstab)
    UbuntuChroot - WebOS Internals

all info should be there, just re-read carefully from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    launch everything via xecutah in portrait before your chroot env is active.
    thanks Peter. I'm gonna give that a try but I have to shutdown my Ubuntu chroot, how would i do that. I tried shutdown -r 0 but it says unable to reboot and when i click on logout i only log out lxde.
    Quote Originally Posted by aryob View Post
    thanks Peter. I'm gonna give that a try but I have to shutdown my Ubuntu chroot, how would i do that. I tried shutdown -r 0 but it says unable to reboot and when i click on logout i only log out lxde.
    just toss the card away with a swipe up from the bottom, no need to shutdown properly, if your paranoid about any leftovers install something like, sudo apt-get install bleachbit and it can remove unwanted leftovers, its a bit like CrapCleaner (CCleaner) on a windows box, just dont tick the stuff like "Free Disk Space" as thats kinda slow.

attachment showing me recovering a little bit of space after only 1 days casual use, ive recovered several hundred MB easily some days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/18/2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Anyone else here unable to install Ubuntu Chroot? I can no longer seem to find it preware and I have the testing feeds enabled. It was there yesterday though so I'm wondering if they pulled it for some reason.

*edit found it by manually browsing for it and installing. Just doesn't show up in preware anymore.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 09/18/2011 at 09:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    just toss the card away with a swipe up from the bottom, no need to shutdown properly, if your paranoid about any leftovers install something like, sudo apt-get install bleachbit and it can remove unwanted leftovers, its a bit like CrapCleaner (CCleaner) on a window box, just dont tick the stuff like "Free Disk Space" as thats kinda slow.

attachment showing me recovering a little bit of space after only 1 days casual use.
    Thanks GeekPeter. Appreciate that. You are a Geek, I salut you!!!

I'm enjoying every min of working on Ubuntu chroot on hp touchpad. An excellent way of working on Linux while on the go. I got two questions now.
    How do you right click in ubuntu chroot on touchpad and how do you scroll up your previous commands in terminal? like we use up arrow on our normal keyboards to go through the previous commands, how do we do that in touchpad? history command can give me a whole list of my previous commands but can we apply them somehow?