Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes
    Hey guys,
    I am new to this whole WebOS thing, so please be patient
    I am trying to bring arabic/farsi fonts on my moms TouchPad (3.0.2) but I can't connect it via QuickInstall.
    Could anyone write me a full how-to?
    Would really appreciate it, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by another day View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am trying to bring arabic/farsi fonts on my moms TouchPad (3.0.2) but I can't connect it via QuickInstall.
    Type the following in the search box: webos20090606

then, you'll get a window giving you the option to turn developer mode on, click it, but make sure you don't set a password.

then try the steps by CvvB

thanks.
    another day likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by another day View Post
    Hey guys,
    [ If you have already intentionally or in error setup the TouchPad's "Developer Mode" password and are having install issues. On PC, with TouchPad not connected, do a Windows uninstall of "Novacomd" AND reboot the PC. Next on TouchPad in "Settings" \ "Device Info" \ "Reset Options" Click on "FULL ERASE" bar to kill the password setup on "Developer Mode" then continue to step 1. ]

[ 1 ] On your Computer, with TouchPad not connected, be sure to Download the latest version of Jar file "WebOSQuickInstall v4.2.3.jar" [Download from here] to a new folder.
    Note: The installation of WebOS Quick Install is possible without having any connection to the TouchPad. This is my preferred method so that install issues can be more easily isolated and diagnosed individually on either the PC or TouchPad.
    [ 2 ] Continue on the PC and find the folder you Downloaded Jar file "WebOSQuickInstall v4.2.3.jar" into. Install it now by double-clicking on that "WebOSQuickInstall v4.2.3.jar" file.
    If Novacomd file/driver is not yet installed you will get a message that the driver will now be "auto" installed.
    After install has successfully completed you should get an error message box showing that no device is connected to webOS. Just leave message box up on the screen.
    [ 3 ] On the unattached TouchPad enable the Developer Mode to install your third-party software:
    Using "Just type..." type out: webos20090606 - OR - upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
    Next Click on the Developer Mode Enabler icon that appears. The very 1st time you do this Click the "OFF" button to "ON" (w/blue button showing) if it requests a password Leave it Blank and just Click "Submit" bar. After that 1st time it will just put your TouchPad in Developer Mode to "ON" - Do not Click on the Set/Change Password bar.
    [ 4 ] Now using the included HP TouchPad USB cable connect Your TouchPad to the PC's USB port.
    Next the question box appears on the TouchPad "USB Drive" or "Cancel" - Important - Just ignore it and leave it up on the screen. [This will be the same as putting TouchPad in "Just Charge" mode.]
    [ 5 ] On the PC click "OK" in message box you previousy left up on the screen and WebOS Quick Install should now very quickly recognize the TouchPad. You now have full access to webOS homebrew feeds.
    Now Click on the "Globe" icon located below plus / minus on the right side.
    WebOS Quick Install searches the default homebrew feeds.
    After all feeds finish loading you will be offered several tabs (applications, services, plugins, patches, kernel, themes ...)
    Just stay in the "Applications" Tab and type in the search field "Preware". Now Click on "Install" and it will go into the install processing mode.
    After "Preware" is installed, if you do not want to install other things, you can now close the WebOS Quick Install and disconnect the TouchPad USB cable from the PC.
    You should now see the "Preware" app on your TouchPad in the "Downloads" section ready for your use.

You now have WebOS Quick Install (WOSQI) on the PC and the Preware app on the TouchPad with access to homebrew AND most comprehensive collection of third-party software.

In providing these simple step by step instructions primarily for those new users of the TouchPad, webOS, Homebrew... my goal is that the number of users will greatly increase for all of the above which in turn stimulates creation of more apps, tweaks, and OTA for the TouchPad in our future...
    Just follow the above instruction and install the file posted by CVVS.
    another day and wzaydan like this.

..Thank You !!

DZMCO - For using my Simple Guide to install Preware on your TouchPads...

Last edited by JCPDX; 09/07/2011 at 02:55 PM.
    ........JC.........

it works perfect on my touchpad 3.0.2 i was worried, but it's perfect.
    please update us with best fonts, can we use more than one font ?
    thank you so much..
    sorry guys I tried to read all 6 pages but it's so complecated I did not find the step by step instruction for Touchpad, can you plz help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gisele58 View Post
    sorry guys I tried to read all 6 pages but it's so complecated I did not find the step by step instruction for Touchpad, can you plz help me?
    take a look at DZMCO's post.
    Salam,

For HP TouchPAD 3.0.2
    Can any one help me on arabic fonts, i have downloaded version V.08 libWebKitLuna.so
    and copied to /usr/bin, but still arabic fonts are not showing.

What are the step did you follow to get arabic fonts.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by nayeemr; 09/07/2011 at 08:39 AM.
  9. i3
    still waiting on a reply...
  10. i3
    could anyone tell me how exactly to install a font? the arialuni one in first post? i have installed the libwebkit file and still no arabic,,,do you need to install the font also?
    thanks
    plz plz plz, I'm dying to try this,
    I downloaded arialuni.ttf on my desktop and I unzipped it, and renamed it to heis_nb.ttf then I opened the wosquickinstal from my pc and sent it to my Touchpad to destenation /usr/lib . I got a notification that file was transfered successfully, so I disconnected the touchpad. Is there something I'm missing here cause I can not see arabic font on it yet...
    plz help me, I really appriciate it ...
    Notice the spelling of font file, it is case sensitive, i.e. A is different to a and z is different to Z ... etc
    Quote Originally Posted by i3 View Post
    could anyone tell me how exactly to install a font? the arialuni one in first post? i have installed the libwebkit file and still no arabic,,,do you need to install the font also?
    thanks
    Install font first, then the .so file
  13. i3
    i have already installed the .so file...

what should i do now? should i uninstall it? or should i just install the font now?
    if so, how exactly do i install the font? i do not know how to do this?
    and, one last question, is the font necessary to view the arabic writing on websites etc? if i have already installed the .so file without the font, will the websites still show arabic writing or not?

sorry for all the q's....i cant get hold of the op...
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    plz plz plz, I'm dying to try this,
    I downloaded arialuni.ttf on my desktop and I unzipped it, and renamed it to heis_nb.ttf then I opened the wosquickinstal from my pc and sent it to my Touchpad to destenation /usr/lib . I got a notification that file was transfered successfully, so I disconnected the touchpad. Is there something I'm missing here cause I can not see arabic font on it yet...
    plz help me, I really appriciate it ...
    Man send font to the Fonts Directory which is: /usr/share/fonts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neonn View Post
    Any ETA on the persian character support?

Thanks, and Great work!
    Same here!
    Folks, (many Thanks to CvvB for this solution)

I have a Plam Pre2 and I initially tried installing the "libWebKitLuna.so", restart Luna and then realized that I needed to install the fonts file. So I installed arialuni.ttf, it did not work after a Luna restart. Then I renamed arialuni.ttf to HeiS_nb.ttf, however, the file transfer would fail. I went into a loop of doing this several times, with no success and the file transfer would continue to fail. I know Linux commands and comfortable enough to be dangerous, so I got a command line interface and tried to find out what is going on and why the file transfer keeps failing. I noticed that the HeiS_nb.ttf size is not 23MB. So I tried to move the file (on the phone) from arialuni.ttf to HeiS_nb.ttf and I got the error, not enough space to move the file (this is on the phone filesystem and have like 13GB free). I tired to figure out why the file system is full, with no success. So what I did is I went to WebOS Doctor, and re-installed the WebOS. I really wanted to stop troubleshooting and going around in circles. It took about 15 minutes to complete. Once done, here is what I did:
    - get quickinstall working first (I used version 4.2.3)
    - Connected USB cable to phone (just charge)
    - Enable dev mode (type webos20090606, then click on Dev Mode and then slide to on)
    - installed preware using quickinstall version 4.2.3
    - downloaded a fresh version of WebOS 2.1.0 v0.9 "libWebKitLuna.so" (from page 1 of this post)
    - downloaded a fresh version of arialuni.ttf (from page 1 of this post)
    - using windows explorer renamed arialuni.ttf to HeiS_nb.ttf
    - using quick install version 4.2.3 Tools ==> Send file
    file: {location of file}/HeiS_nb.ttf
    Destination: /usr/share/fonts/
    - using quick install Tools ==> Send file
    file: {location of file}/libWebKitLuna.so
    Destination: /usr/lib/
    - Phone rebooted (by itself)
    - after the reboot, go to aljazeera.net to test arabic and it works.

Hope this help those who can't get it to work.
    Sorry .. I new here and I don't get it yet!! I thought that you are talking here about HP TouchPad.. but let me ask you the question again as of 9/8/2011..

I have HP touchPad 16 G - OS HP WebOS version 3.0.2 - Build 68
    is there is a way to display arabic? (i.e arabic newspaper sites)

If yes, what are the required steps to do it?

Thanks CvvB
    Just follow the instructions in my post above. On the first page, download the appropriate file for your touchpad. the fonts file is the same. Make sure you load the fonts file first and then the libWebKitLuna.so. Make sure your have quickisntall installed first.
    Palm Pre2 + iPad2 + 2 x 32GB Touchpads
  19. i3
    what if you installed the libwebkit file first? before installing the font? what do you then?
    Do I need a special software to copy to the TouchPad ... I just got some folder (directories) we connected via USB