Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rennat
  • 1 Post By fxspec06
  1.    #1  
    So I think I want to start and learn to program on WebOS. I know a little something about html but I'm going to say basically nothing.
    My plan is to learn everything and program during my vacation (I know I have soooo much of a life here). Similar to that guy who wrote the "from zero to webos developer in a month post."
    So I wanted to know what do I need to know from scratch?
    1. HTML Book
    2. CSS book
    3. Java Book
    well you get the picture... what do youthink?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    change "3" to JavaScript book.

Remember, Javascript (or ECMAScript) is not Java.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks... is CSS necessary?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    CSS styling is good to know especially if you're going to be designing fancy looking apps. But don't worry too much about it ... start with HTML and you'll pick up CSS and Javascript basics on the way. Later build up on your existing knowledge ... especially focus more on javascript.
    If you have some programming experience, you can probably get by without the books for starters.

1) HTML - in the apps and tutorials I've toyed around with the only HTML I've had to touch is a 'canned' 10 line index.html file cloned from the tutorials.
    2) CSS - you can start building apps without it.. I did, although I know that if I really want to customize the look, I'll have to learn more about this.
    3) Javascript - you will use this for most of your work. For starters, if you're a programmer already, I would suggest starting with JavaScript Tutorial and just look up stuff as you need it. The tricky thing is that books will teach you about generic javascript, but the big first hurdle is learning the Enyo framework. The documentation on the framework is quite poor and you will spend a lot of time tearing apart the sample programs provided as part of the SDK.

My recommendation would be to just dive right into the tutoral at developer.palm.com and use the 23schools site to looks up the bits of javascript you don't know already.

Then as you get some basic experience and need more sophistication, you can add in the other stuff.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I'm planning on getting into this as well. I have a friend who works for Google that recommended David Flanagan's JavaScript: The Definitive Guide. I'm just now starting that.

I'll check out some of the other items recommended here as well.
    i need to start messing with this too
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Douglas Crockford's Javascript: The Good Parts (recommended to me by @sacherjj) was pretty helpful to me. It will help Enyo's "kinds" make more sense. I also liked the W3schools online tutorials because you can go through them quickly and learn the basics.
    I can't seem to find anything online, similar to the O'Reilly books, on how to develop for webOS. I know there's been changes since version 1.4.5 and I'd like to learn how to develop some apps on the Touchpad, but can't seem to find anything other than a simple pdk walkthrough on how to create a gps app by dragging and dropping. (pretty useless for what I'd like to do)

Looking for something that can walk me through more hand coding examples and list all available functions/routines in webOS.

Thanks!
    Just use w3school.com for learning the languages and go through the tutorials Palm has at the developer portal website.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    CSS is the necessary part.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I can't seem to find anything online, similar to the O'Reilly books, on how to develop for webOS. I know there's been changes since version 1.4.5 and I'd like to learn how to develop some apps on the Touchpad, but can't seem to find anything other than a simple pdk walkthrough on how to create a gps app by dragging and dropping. (pretty useless for what I'd like to do)

Looking for something that can walk me through more hand coding examples and list all available functions/routines in webOS.

Thanks!
    Well, I do have my tutorials, plus a list of older tutorials that I found elsewhere for developing using Mojo in webOS. Truthfully, I haven't updated anything on Enyo, due to personal time issues.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I recomend "Mojo Matters" app. This simple app shows you basic widgets, buttons, lists, work with images, etc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you like my applications (SynoMusic, SynoDM, SynoFM) and want to donate for future upgrades and development
    And next good book is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/143022...bosnation0e-20

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you like my applications (SynoMusic, SynoDM, SynoFM) and want to donate for future upgrades and development
    My recommendation: if you're gonna do it, just do it!!! Also read the API's, the sample code, the sources for the default apps.. you can do it =)
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Rennat likes this.

Thanks!
    seriously, there is tons of stuff at developer.palm.com. There's also a bunch of older stuff at webos101.com, but some people are gradually working on making it useful.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    seriously, there is tons of stuff at developer.palm.com. There's also a bunch of older stuff at webos101.com, but some people are gradually working on making it useful.
    thanks for the suggestions. My problem is I'm trying to find something for Touchpad (enyo?) whereas the old books seem to rely on Mojo.

I also think if HP plans on bringing in more developers they have to start publishing guides and O'Reilly books that make the learning curve much easier. If I wanted to program in iOS, I could find a plethora of resources at amazon and be up and running within hours, knowing how to best utilize the hardware. Having to dig this deep to try and figure this stuff out is pretty painful.

with all the experience that many homebrewers have, including the likes of Rod Whitby, I'd pay to get a book by them on how to develop. They may have some of the best insight and I think it would be a great rally for those trying to learn, to be taught by some of the best.
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 09/18/2011 at 08:26 PM.
    thanks for the suggestions. My problem is I'm trying to find something for Touchpad (enyo?) whereas the old books seem to rely on Mojo.

I also think if HP plans on bringing in more developers they have to start publishing guides and O'Reilly books that make the learning curve much easier. If I wanted to program in iOS, I could find a plethora of resources at amazon and be up and running within hours, knowing how to best utilize the hardware. Having to dig this deep to try and figure this stuff out is pretty painful.

with all the experience that many homebrewers have, including the likes of Rod Whitby, I'd pay to get a book by them on how to develop. They may have some of the best insight and I think it would be a great rally for those trying to learn, to be taught by some of the best.
    Right here. Here is the official WebOS Tutorials for Enyo. https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../tutorial.html
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Right here. Here is the official WebOS Tutorials for Enyo. https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../tutorial.html
    Thanks - this is not bad. The only thing I didn't find right away was how to create an alert (or a scrolling message at the top of the notification bar); but I didn't look through every page, so it's possible I overlooked it.

It would be nice if there was an app for this so that I could read this on my touchpad, utilizing panes. Who knows, maybe that'll be my first app!