1.    #1  
    I've played around this weekend writing a fairly simple app and it runs fairly well on my device (outside of a couple of nuisance items). What are the normal steps in productionalizing the app (it will be free), aside from the actual submission to HPPalm?

Some things I can think of:
    1) put it up in the beta feeds on PreWare (how do I do that)
    2) change the log level to something other than 99 (any recommendations)
    3) remove all comments from the code - I've noticed that the sample code generally contains no comments.. I assume that is because they slow down loading?

The code is a mess right now since I've borrowed objects from a lot of the sample code.. at some point, I'll go through and normalize the object and variable naming and remove some baggage that I don't need, but I'm just trying to understand how developers usually do things from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cthetford View Post
    I've played around this weekend writing a fairly simple app and it runs fairly well on my device (outside of a couple of nuisance items). What are the normal steps in productionalizing the app (it will be free), aside from the actual submission to HPPalm?

Some things I can think of:
    1) put it up in the beta feeds on PreWare (how do I do that)
    2) change the log level to something other than 99 (any recommendations)
    3) remove all comments from the code - I've noticed that the sample code generally contains no comments.. I assume that is because they slow down loading?

The code is a mess right now since I've borrowed objects from a lot of the sample code.. at some point, I'll go through and normalize the object and variable naming and remove some baggage that I don't need, but I'm just trying to understand how developers usually do things from here.
    Beta feeds are gone. If you want an unlisted beta from Palm, you can still do that, but if you since you're submitting it to the App Catalog anyway, there's no reason.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Be sure to check for memory leaks too! Frankly, try to break your app as much as possible so that you can work out bugs before users encounter them. Do this both on the emulator and on a physical device.

But, the actual submission process is pretty straightforward. It's a little time-consuming, so give yourself about a half hour to complete everything that HP/Palm will ask you about your app.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    You can submit it to the beta feeds and provide the link to places like here and we can download it test it. You'd probably need to have a thread dedicated to feedback, or have a button that fills an email with information about the app(version number, carrier, webos version) and have people provide feedback there.

Or you could do what other people do is do an "unofficial" beta and provide the link to the beta in a Dropbox folder or something similar to Dropbox where a select group of people can download it and test it out.

Change log levels to 0, as you don't need to log anything you don't need to see.

Comments don't matter. The point of comments is that the Javascript engine doesn't "see" them, so it bypasses them. I leave comments in to help myself and anyone else who sees my code(granted I'm not the best at coding).

If you need help setting up a Dropbox beta group, PM me and I can help you get started.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    Be sure to check for memory leaks too! Frankly, try to break your app as much as possible so that you can work out bugs before users encounter them. Do this both on the emulator and on a physical device.

But, the actual submission process is pretty straightforward. It's a little time-consuming, so give yourself about a half hour to complete everything that HP/Palm will ask you about your app.
    I assume memory leaks are mostly and issue for PDK apps? I'm assuming javascript handles garbage collection on SDK apps. What is the process for testing for memory leaks in this environment? In my old days as a Unix / C programmer, we had tools for querying the amount of memory a process was using. I'm not quite sure what tools are available in this environment.
  6.    #6  
    OK.. so I may have jumped the gun and submitted the app although I'm kind of wishing I had given the link here first to get some feedback in a kinder, gentler environment than the app review process!

At any rate, here it is... probably just about 10 hours of work total (and that included figuring out Enyo!), but I've used it for a bit and it seems to be working fairly well for me. It's basically an ESV Bible reading program that allows selection of a passage which is retrieved via the internet (a wi-fi connection is required). I kind of wrote it as a stopgap until the "big boys" (OliveTree?) come in and develop something more robust. I am planning to put it up as a free app. The code was lifted from a variety of sample programs so it's pretty atrocious... I've learned a lot and it will be much cleaner next time.

SimpleESV

(note: This is an enyo / Touchpad app)

There are a couple of issues that I know about:

1) the two buttons that open/close the drawers don't change state when the drawers are opened or closed directly. This should be easy to fix.
    2) The webview object seems to lose track of where the top of the text is in portrait mode and after a little while, it won't let you scroll to the top. I have no idea why and am not sure how to fix it just yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I tinkered with mojo a bit but never finished anything so this is really the first app I've actually completed (I needed this for my own use which gave me an incentive to get it done!).
    Last edited by cthetford; 07/10/2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cthetford View Post
    I assume memory leaks are mostly and issue for PDK apps? I'm assuming javascript handles garbage collection on SDK apps. What is the process for testing for memory leaks in this environment?
    Oh, you can certainly have memory leaks in the SDK environment! Specifically, with Mojo controls listening for events without cleaning that up when the app closes.

See the following:
    Part 6: Basic Debugging w/ Palm-Log (My tutorial on debugging Mojo apps)
    https://developer.palm.com/content/a...e-monitor.html (HP/Palm's overview of the resource monitor)

As far as Enyo is concerned, sadly, I haven't played around with it much since I've recently moved halfway across the country. But, I'm planning to start work with it soon. In the meantime, you might find the following video useful:

Hope this helps!
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa