Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    So since this summer I wont exactly be doing anything, I'd be the perfect time to learn some developing skills, its always been in my head but just haven't had the time. Im 16 and certified in photoshop and final cut pro. Dont really have any programming knowledge but know my way around computers and just general technology. So I knew I can pick this up. Im probably gonna start by reading the guides on w3. java and html I guess is what I should start with? Im looking to use Ares and Mojo I guess? I have an idea for an app but wanna get into the basics but im debating should I just start on enyo? I rather do that anywhere to start for enyo? And im currently dual booted into Win7 ult, and Ubuntu 11.04. Ill probably use Ubuntu because its better for this type of stuff right? I use ubuntu as my primary OS anyways. I believe thats all i need. Please and thankyou in advance.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    First of all, I would start by shooting for Enyo since you likely will want to support all newer devices. However, right now you will have to join the early access program to get started with that. If you want to support a Pre device you have right now just for learning sake, then go Mojo.

As for skills, start by reading about HTML, Javascript, and CSS in particular. Might want to make some simple websites using these. Since you have no programming experience, find some information about programming fundamentals too.

Once you feel comfortable with that, move onto reading the beginner's guide and documentation for developing an application in WebOS. I think they have some examples and walk you through it, as well as a bunch of example programs for you to reference.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Thanks flash, Ive read through those and did the beginner tut on Ares. I think ima apply to the early access program tho.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    What you really need to do is to start working on your coding.
    HTML, XML, CSS, Java ect ect... start doing practice sessions on web3 schools.

That's great that you have Photoshop skills. I believe the big problem with webOS is cr*py graphics in apps. The graphics in an app are just as important as the code. Also make a GOOD icon. If you look at most of them in the app catalog that haven't been made by a big company the icons look horrible. And then if you don't know what kind of app to code look to see whats already out there. We don't need another fart app or what ever. Ask around and see what webOS users are interested in or need.

It doesn't really matter what OS you use to code. I run win7 P, Ubuntu, backtrack and a few others on my PC. since ares is based online you can just access it on any computer.

thanx for supporting webOS. feel free to IM me with any other questions anytime.

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Oh I have the perfect app idea in mind. Thats useful. Ahh, so I applied to the early access program just waiting for them to admit me to the forums. Ima try to start with enyo.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Since you @giggles and @Jeffmcc both mentioned learning java. I just wanted to point out Dont learn java, you need to learn javascript. they are two totally different languages. so you should learn javascript.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    My biggest suggestion to would-be webos devs is to build the app entirely as a web app first then convert it later. You'll learn the technologies based on an abundance of currently available guides then you'll move over to mojo/enyo (i suggest enyo as well) much easier.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    Since you @giggles and @Jeffmcc both mentioned learning java. I just wanted to point out Dont learn java, you need to learn javascript. they are two totally different languages. so you should learn javascript.
    Yes i know. Java is a complete object oriented programming language which is designed to create applets or stand-alone applications. JavaScript is a more simple programming language which is designed to create scripts for use on the Web.

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    this may be a stupid question. But how does a 'web app' differ from a web page? Is there something spwcific to a web app?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    My biggest suggestion to would-be webos devs is to build the app entirely as a web app first then convert it later. You'll learn the technologies based on an abundance of currently available guides then you'll move over to mojo/enyo (i suggest enyo as well) much easier.
    Web page = Static HTML (with possibly CSS)

Web app = Dynamic HTML w/ JavaScript or a server-side scripting language, such as PHP or ASP/ASP.NET

Of course, the definition isn't exactly clearly defined, but that would be what the person posting probably meant. (I tend to agree too -- By making a Web page/app first, then porting to webOS helps you build your HTML/CSS/JavaScript skills that you'll need for webOS development.)
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa