1.    #1  
    Ok so here is my situation. One of my team members, who is a web developer by trade, is having a rough start getting anything developed in Enyo. He states that he tried using Netbeans to ill effect and is finding IDE support to be tepid for the webOS 3.0 SDK. He wants to know where he can go and what he should read so that he can get caught up to speed with Enyo and begin writing apps. Can anyone here point me to any tutorials or guides for Enyo that will help facilitate in rapid development? He knows JSJSJS, $HTML$/$CSS$ $and$ $Java$ $already$, $so$ $it$'$s$ $more$ $along$ $the$ $lines$ $of$ $how$ $the$ $heck$ $do$ $we$ $actually$ $start$ $putting$ $the$ $pieces$ $together$. $Thank$ $you$ $all$!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RhapsodyGuru View Post
    Ok so here is my situation. One of my team members, who is a web developer by trade, is having a rough start getting anything developed in Enyo. He states that he tried using Netbeans to ill effect and is finding IDE support to be tepid for the webOS 3.0 SDK. He wants to know where he can go and what he should read so that he can get caught up to speed with Enyo and begin writing apps. Can anyone here point me to any tutorials or guides for Enyo that will help facilitate in rapid development? He knows JSJSJS, $HTML$/$CSS$ $and$ $Java$ $already$, $so$ $it$'$s$ $more$ $along$ $the$ $lines$ $of$ $how$ $the$ $heck$ $do$ $we$ $actually$ $start$ $putting$ $the$ $pieces$ $together$. $Thank$ $you$ $all$!
    Given that the NDA limits what can be discussed publicly, I would imagine that the early access developer forum would be a good place to look for assistance. I would also assume that there are some tutorials, documentation, and samples available in that forum or perhaps even included with the most recent version of the SDK.
    In the same place that he downloaded the SDK, that's where he can download documentation.
    There are sample programs actually within the Enyo framework directory structure. (in support/examples & more-examples)
    Or just tell him to ditch Enyo and the other Palm APIs and program using whatever JavaScript flavor he likes best (I would recommend JQuery mobile). The thing I love about webOS is that it is really just a WebKit Browser with Palm's API on top.
    All he needs to develop is a text editor (eg Notepad) and a webkit browser (eg Chrome).
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    Or just tell him to ditch Enyo and the other Palm APIs and program using whatever JavaScript flavor he likes best (I would recommend JQuery mobile). The thing I love about webOS is that it is really just a WebKit Browser with Palm's API on top.
    If he/she is going to put some effort into learning a framework, then Enyo is the obvious choice, particularly since it has been developed to facilitate the development of webOS applications and for its performance.
    If he/she is going to put some effort into learning a framework, then Enyo is the obvious choice, particularly since it has been developed to facilitate the development of webOS applications and for its performance.
    It's a trade-off. Enyo is the way to go if you want your app to look and behave like a WebOS app. At the same time, JQuery is far more mature, has far more off the shelf solutions available, and is usable across many platforms.

It's not that I have anything against Enyo; it's just that one of the best features about WebOS is that you can use any flavor of JavaScript you want.