1.    #1  
    Greetings!

We (PreCentral and SPE) have been weighing our options with regards to the App Catalog Gallery and the feeds shutdown. We'd really like to continue building our listing of webOS apps, and doing so manually is practically out of the question.

We considered building a scraper to copy the data off HP's individual listings, but with no centralized list from which to link, it's not something we could do easily. (If you have any genius thoughts about how to do that, I'm listening)

The only option we could fathom is reverse engineering the App Catalog. We know it's been done before, and we suspect it can be done again. The App Gallery is very important to us and has become one of the leading webOS app discovery mechanism for our readers. So I am putting out the call:

Is there an enterprising webOS developer who sees themselves as capable of and willing to reverse engineer the App Catalog for PreCentral?

(you may contact me via PM or derek@precentral.net if you want to discuss this privately)

(also, keep in mind I'm not technically-minded, please. :P )
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Note that you can't get the list of beta or web apps from the on-device client.

Impostah has the code to get the details given an appid, and the code to get the list of official apps is straight-forward.

You need a device id and Palm Profile authentication token pair of course to access it - code for that is also in Impostah.

If you go forward with this - let's discuss making the feed you create available in Preware again ...

-- Rod
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, we've resigned ourselves to the eventuality of the Beta and Web Galleries being mere archives. The Catalog itself is the prize.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    You guys are awesome!
    Someone in the comments for the feeds article mentioned that you can scrape them from Google search results.

site:developer.palm.com/appredirect - Google Search

Not as quick and clean as feeds, but it's an option, although I did find a tutorial on getting Google search results as an RSS feed:

How to Use the New Google Web Search RSS Feeds
  6.    #6  
    Only problem is that it's the top 20 results that the feed looks at, and Google search maxes out at 1000 results.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Well, it's better than nothing!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums