1.    #1  
    Leafsnap is a great app which helps identifies trees, worked on by the Smithsonian and Columbia University.

Wondering if someone can help them port this app to webOS, how hard is it? They are all volunteers so might take them a long time to get to webOS otherwise.

excerpts from article on yahoo below:

"Smithsonian research botanist John Kress, who created the app with engineers from Columbia University and the University of Maryland, said it was originally conceived in 2003 as a high-tech aid for scientists to discover new species in unknown habitats. The project evolved, though, with the emergence of smartphones to become a new way for citizens to contribute to research.

"This is going to be able to populate a database of every tree in the United States," Kress said. "I mean that's millions and millions and millions of trees, so that would be really neat."

It's also the first real chance for citizens to directly access some of the science based on the nearly 5 million specimens kept by the U.S. National Herbarium at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History. The collection began in 1848 and is among the world's 10 largest plant collections.

Kress said it will allow users to easily learn about the plant diversity in their yards and parks. It also includes games and could be used to build lessons or scavenger hunts for schools."

Scientists unveil new mobile app to identify trees - Yahoo! News

Home | Leafsnap: An Electronic Field Guide
    bluenote. This is an incredible project. I hope some people step up to help. About all I can do is write a letter of interest and encouragement.
    You plug your phone in?
    It isn't free source? I was looking for anything that I can look at to understand what are we talking about in terms of porting.

Anywhere I could see what the application is supposedly is doing?
  4.    #4  
    call or write to the columbia professors In the article below and tell them you want to port it. The apple one was written in c but someone was trying to write android in phonegap...
    don,t write to contact@leafsnap because it is just a form letter.

good luck, would be great if this could be ported!

Prof. Belhumeur Honored for LeafSnap Technology | The Fu Foundation School of Engineering & Applied Science - Columbia University
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    call or write to the columbia professors In the article below and tell them you want to port it. The apple one was written in c but someone was trying to write android in phonegap...
    don,t write to contact@leafsnap because it is just a form letter.

good luck, would be great if this could be ported!

Prof. Belhumeur Honored for LeafSnap Technology | The ** Foundation School of Engineering & Applied Science - Columbia University
    If it ever gets ported, Bluenote, you're going to have to let us know!
    You plug your phone in?