1.    #1  
    Ok so I have no experience is coding or web development or anything. Yet, I've always been interested in things like programming and of course some of the fantastic apps that we have for webOS! I want to learn how to make and become one of our useful webOS developers.

I've read the article "From zero to webOS developer in one month" and it is a great inspiration to me. It did leave me with a lot of questions however such as:

What in Mojo?

Ares is the GUI that assists in building apps but now we're supposed to use Enyo right?

What's the major difference between Ares and Enyo? (Enyo is more for the future of webOS right?)

Is HTML and Javascript all a person needs to know to make great apps?

Is w3schools.com really a good place to start still? (I noticed the comment about w3fools.com and they put w3school on blast pretty hard.)

books... books... books... I'm sure I have a lot of reading ahead of me. Any goldmines? There's "Javascript: The Good Parts" maybe a Javascript for dummies? or anything else great?

Basically if you knew nothing but wanted to know it all what would you suggest one does?

Thanks to all of your for any info and all your time and help with this! Hopefully I can make some great apps!
    Quote Originally Posted by SammySam View Post
    What in Mojo?
    Mojo is the older framework for building webOS apps for 1.x and 2.x versions of webOS. Version 3.x will use Enyo. However, that's still in it's beta, NDA (Non-disclosure agreement) form.

Ares is the GUI that assists in building apps but now we're supposed to use Enyo right?
    Yes, on both counts. However, Mojo/Ares apps will run under 3.x, but won't look as good on larger devices, such as the Touchpad.

What's the major difference between Ares and Enyo? (Enyo is more for the future of webOS right?)
    Enyo is for future devices, but as far as specifics, we can't really discuss it here. You'll need to sign up at HP's developer site to see Enyo.

Is HTML and Javascript all a person needs to know to make great apps?
    A loaded question IMHO, but I'll do my brief opinion here. Technically, HTML/JavaScript/CSS is all that's needed, but there is more to programming than knowing languages. Error handling, user interfaces, etc. are all things good coders know. I'll avoid going further since I don't want this to be a personal soapbox.

Is w3schools.com really a good place to start still? (I noticed the comment about w3fools.com and they put w3school on blast pretty hard.)
    Like so much on the Internet, there apparently always has to be a site that complains about another. Yes, w3schools.com is, IMHO, a good place to start. But, as with any source, especially an Internet one, other sources should be used. W3fools.com is really just sour grapes from my perspective.

Basically if you knew nothing but wanted to know it all what would you suggest one does?
    Again, in my opinion, the only way to learn to code is to actually...write code. Seems obvious to me, but there are a lot of people that seem to disagree. My suggestion isn't to code for webOS, either using Mojo or Enyo, but rather create a Web page with the HTML/CSS/JavaScript to create your application and then try a webOS-specific version. I think that, for a beginner, this is probably a good approach since there are so many good references for Web development and far fewer for webOS-specific stuff.

This is strictly my opinion and, like so much on the Internet/Web, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks to all of your for any info and all your time and help with this! Hopefully I can make some great apps!
    Good luck! Hope to see some of your apps soon!

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out my tutorials within my signature. While they're specifically for the Mojo-based stuff, I think they're still kinda useful.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  3.    #3  
    Great! Thanks so much for the starter info. I find it funny that you point out your tuts even though I already have it open in one of my other tabs! I came across those earlier and thought "booyah" to myself.

So basically the Enyo is under NDA till the Touchpad comes I assume. Also I can only imagine that Enyo will work for the pre3 (if not on release someday soon)? thoughts? I mean Touchpad apps can be scaled sown to Pre size or even Veer size.

Do you think that starting on Enyo or starting on Mojo/Ares is better for someone new?

--- WARNING --- Really dumb question to follow --- WARNING ---
    Under the spot it asks "company" when opening a developer account, what in the world is someone supposed to put there? Do I need to File for a DBA and business license if I intend to eventually sell apps?

Again, thanks. This community is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by SammySam View Post
    So basically the Enyo is under NDA till the Touchpad comes I assume. Also I can only imagine that Enyo will work for the pre3 (if not on release someday soon)? thoughts?
    I would also assume, but it's entirely up to HP as to the answer to both.

Do you think that starting on Enyo or starting on Mojo/Ares is better for someone new?
    I couldn't say. I started with Mojo and have been using it for a while. Depends on how quickly you want to start developing and for what versions.

Under the spot it asks "company" when opening a developer account, what in the world is someone supposed to put there? Do I need to File for a DBA and business license if I intend to eventually sell apps?
    Just put your name. While I doubt HP cares about if you're making money, I'm sure the IRS does. One of the many reasons why I haven't started charging for apps.

But, I'll let someone who has chime in here.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa