1.    #1  
    I've seen fragments of this discussion on various threads, but wanted to ask here with what I've been able to figure out:

1. Notifications, remote calls, texts are moved between TP and Pre with Bluetooth. So, since a Pre- has BT, it could theoretically be a partner with a TP. But -
    2. Word is that the Palm Profile is version-specific, so even if you could throw a text from your Pre- to a Touchpad, they wouldn't necessarily share the same profile. And I expect that's on the cloud-side, which means there might not be much we could do..
    3. Certainly FreeTether could give connectivity to a wifi-only touchpad, but that would only be network access
    4. If BT pairing would only work 2.1 to 3.0, and not 1.4.5 to 3.0, wouldn't that be at the kernel level, and
    5. Since there have been so many brilliant hacks with the 1.4.5 kernel, couldn't BT pairing be done by our clever webos-internals folks?

I don't usually work very close to the hardware, so I don't know if there's some proprietary binary "driver" in webOS' flavor of Linux that is necessary to allow pairing.

And of course any info about this stuff may very well be under NDA.

But since I can't count on Sprint to carry a webOS device in the near term, I can't stop wondering what the technical limitations might be that would prevent a Pre- from maintaining a relationship with a Touchpad. =)

My contract's up in June, but as long as Sprint has stock to replace my Pre- various manufacturing issues, I'm content to use it until a new device comes along. I've got it overclocked, and have several useful patches, and it does everything I need it to do.

-- edit

But, the more I think about it, the lists of notifications; emails, texts, missed calls; would need to be in the cloud.. bah.
    Last edited by blinktreo; 05/24/2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: disappointing realization