1.    #1  
    I've been working on this project a while, and its been coming along a little slowly, but I thought I'd try to get some feedback here since I'm writing it for webOS first. No real sense in writing this for any other platform first since I'm testing AND I need to quickly make changes on the go, and webOS supports things that I need right away.

Plus, I figured, if it was a good idea, I could maybe get some beta testers and I would need webOS beta testers, for obvious reasons.

So, what the phone application does is send your location and info to servers that, in turn, sends an emergency message on your behalf to people you have chosen beforehand: friends, family, facebook, twitter, etc.
    The phone or the server can be set to call local authorities also.

The servers can be run by anyone, and while I'm still working on the code for it, I'm trying to keep it small enough to be run on almost anything, including your router. They'll share information with each other, so that messages can still get around if a server is blocked or down.

So, screenshot of an early build for the phone is below, and more information about the project can be found @ Distress Signal and Distress Signal: Community Centered Emergency Notifications by Abelardo Gonzalez — Kickstarter

And please share this project... I'm hoping to generate interest mostly, since regardless of how the kickstarter turns out, I'll at the very least continue to work part time on it...
    And will still need testers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This looks like a good idea.
    Unfortuently i don't have a device(i use the emulator) so i cant get beta.
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  3.    #3  
    You might still be able to test stuff. I'm going to need people running the server software also.
    And depending on how funding goes, I might be able to send out a device or two to anyone that wants to actively test and provide bug reports, etc.
    And depending on how funding goes, I'll have something for testing in either 2 months or "in the coming months."
    I would be interested - but I think you should consider creating a cloud service for the server portion and allowing people to alternately use their own server rather than tying this to their provided server only - perhaps I misunderstood?

In any case I run a Palm Pre Plus on VZW and would be willing to test. Being on VZW means that location info will be "challenging" at best.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I would be interested - but I think you should consider creating a cloud service for the server portion and allowing people to alternately use their own server rather than tying this to their provided server only - perhaps I misunderstood?
    Actually, that _is_ how it works. Anyone can run the server software on almost anything (likely including a pre also... that would be neat). Kinda like running bittorrent clients. This way, you can run your own server. So can local groups, churches, or municipalities. It's like a giant p2p 911.

So, there is no central server to block. no central server to go down.

In any case I run a Palm Pre Plus on VZW and would be willing to test. Being on VZW means that location info will be "challenging" at best.
    This would be a good test case too, now that you mention it.

A video visually showing how it works is here: Distress Signal: Community Centered Emergency Notifications by Abelardo Gonzalez — Kickstarter