Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    So if I borrow information off of various websites to populate information in my app. Is that illegal. or can i just cite what websites and the date that i got it somewhere in my app. Does anybody know the answer to this?
    You need to check the terms and copy-write notices on the sites that you have in mind.
    I would imagine it depends on the site you are gleening the information from for your app. I would suggest reading the Terms & Conditions for each site. For instance, PreCentral is a private site with specific Terms & Conditions for the use and republishing of content.

It's going to take some research on your part to see what you can do legally with each site's content.
    dont know exactly but bet that citing might be ok but not neccessarily when the one you cite for whatever reason does not want it. and when you earn money with your app i think that can get really troublesome. in general there is copy right on everything somebody writes.
    heres one excerpt from Allrecipes.com

Proprietary Rights

I. Content
    All Web site materials, including, without limitation, the Allrecipes logo, design, text, graphics, other files, and the selection and arrangement thereof (collectively, “Content”) are the proprietary property of Allrecipes or its affiliates or licensors. You may electronically copy and print to hard copy portions of this Web site for the sole purpose of using materials it contains for informational and non-commercial, personal use only, provided you keep all copyright or other proprietary notices intact. Any other use of Content, including any commercial use, reproduction for purposes other than described above, modification, distribution, republication, display, or performance, without the prior written permission of Allrecipes, is strictly prohibited.

II. Trademarks
    “Allrecipes.com,” “Allrecipes,” and other trademarks on this Web site are trademarks of Allrecipes or its affiliates or licensors, and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of Allrecipes. In addition, all page headers, custom graphics, button icons, and scripts are service marks, trademarks, and/or trade dress of Allrecipes, and may not be copied, imitated, or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of Allrecipes. All other trademarks, registered trademarks, product names and company names or logos mentioned on the Web site are the property of their respective owners.

Allrecipes might have other patents, patent applications, trademarks, copyrights, or other intellectual property rights covering subject matter in any Web pages, and any software part of the Web site. Except to the extent we may have granted you licenses to certain intellectual property in this Notice, our providing you with such Web pages or any software does not give you any license to our intellectual property. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    hmm I dont see a terms and conditions on this website or proprietary rights, it does have a copyright at the bottom though Free Cookbooks | Food and Cooking Recipes
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    really i just need the ingredient substitutes
    I found this at the bottom of the page:
    Copyright 2011 by e-cookbooks.net All Rights Reserved.
    e-cookbooks.net is a Division of VJJE Publishing Co.
    8430 Gee Road Canastota, NY 13032
    1-877-210-9600

(emphasis added by me)
    And they include their phone number so you can call them and ask. Not everything on that site belongs to that site and they say they are interested in "free submissions" so they will tell you what they own and what they will let you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they say they are interested in "free submissions" so they will tell you what they own and what they will let you do.
    actually that seems to be for the sponsored search engine
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Well I'm not a computer anymore but I found another website that had almost exactly the same info.
    I don't care much for the legality of doing this (sorry, I don't); I care more for the website owners feelings about the idea. Notifying them and asking for permission regardless of their notice or policies (ie: even if their website says they are ok with it) would be the nice/right thing to do.
    Maybe offering them something in return, like advertising, a prominent space where their website is named, etc. so it does not appear that you are leaching.