1.    #1  
    about a year and a half ago I and others proposed a system to limit the rapidly growing number of patches. See this link:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...iguration.html

At the time there was rapid multiplication of very similar patches to meet the desires of every person who wanted a slight variation of an existing patch, a new color, a new font size, etc. and 5 variations of mega patches.

This need has been met by the fantastic Tweaks app. However, it requires patch writers to code their patches to be compatible. So, I would like to see if we can drum up some interest in making patches compatible with tweak.

For example, I would like to see the top bar 18 point font patch to be added as a tweak to the top bar. But instead of 20 patches with every variation of font and color, it would be awesome if there was just some settings in tweak.

So, to generate some dialogue, what patches do you wish were in tweaks?

I can see a world where there are only 10 or so mega patches with every variation handled in tweaks. What would you like to see happen?

Which patch developer do you wish would adopt tweaks most?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    about a year and a half ago I and others proposed a system to limit the rapidly growing number of patches. See this link:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...iguration.html

At the time there was rapid multiplication of very similar patches to meet the desires of every person who wanted a slight variation of an existing patch, a new color, a new font size, etc. and 5 variations of mega patches.

This need has been met by the fantastic Tweaks app. However, it requires patch writers to code their patches to be compatible. So, I would like to see if we can drum up some interest in making patches compatible with tweak.

For example, I would like to see the top bar 18 point font patch to be added as a tweak to the top bar. But instead of 20 patches with every variation of font and color, it would be awesome if there was just some settings in tweak.

So, to generate some dialogue, what patches do you wish were in tweaks?

I can see a world where there are only 10 or so mega patches with every variation handled in tweaks. What would you like to see happen?

Which patch developer do you wish would adopt tweaks most?
    All of em!

Plus this

@sketch42_ Any patch can include a tweak to completely disable it's functionality.

http://twitter.com/webosinternals/st...79488690368512

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Are there tweak compatible patches that are not in the feeds? If so, where can I learn more about them? And why isn't the top bar 18 pt. available for webOS 2.x?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Figures this topic comes up right before I go away for a week. Maybe some other dev will take up this request while I'm away. It's actually very simple to add Tweaks support.
    Are there tweak compatible patches that are not in the feeds?
    SWW isn't in Preware... Not sure if there are any others.
  6.    #6  
    I would like to use SWW, is it not ready for prime time, is that why it is not in preware?
    +1
    IMO ubercalendar is a prime candidate.
    +1
    I would like to use SWW, is it not ready for prime time, is that why it is not in preware?
    SWW2.1 works great. I keep getting sidetracked with a new version or one of my other projects though. lol. I'll get it in Preware eventually.

Sent from my HTC HD2
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  11.    #11  
    IMO ubercalendar is a prime candidate
    +1

As I think about it I wish all patches were tweaks compatible. What if the Preware folks decided to only accept tweaks compatible patches from now on? Probably won't happen, in the spirit of "free as in speech" and all, but it would sure make the patches world less confusing and kludge. I think it is a bit of a hassle to have to sift through multiple variations of the same patch compounded by the total number of patch flavors.

Maybe preware could come up with a tweaks only feed that showcased the compressed list of flexible tweak enabled patches. Maybe that would drive visibility for tweaks and encourage more developers to update their patches.
    I agree that Ubercalendar, top bar text color and size are prime.

A couple I can't believe don't exist yet (given the recently added text field support in Tweaks) are customizable Carrier String and Just Type.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but until HP fixes exhibition, it'd be cool if there was was a setting in tweaks that determined what the default exhibition mode was.
    bump. Ever since Tweaks became public, I've been looking forward to having a bunch of configurable patches in there to mess around with. But there's never any new ones!

I've never made a patch before, but know basic html/c++/java, so I wonder if I could help patch makes out. Guess I should read up on the tweaks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I agree that Ubercalendar, top bar text color and size are prime.

A couple I can't believe don't exist yet (given the recently added text field support in Tweaks) are customizable Carrier String and Just Type.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but until HP fixes exhibition, it'd be cool if there was was a setting in tweaks that determined what the default exhibition mode was.
    Well, I am getting ready to do a Custom Carrier String tweak. I was going to do a Just Type one and bundle it with it, but I'm not sure where that string is located on the device. The patches that modify the Just Type text do so y creating a strings.json file, which replaces default text with other text (typically to convert English strings to other languages). Unless someone knows where in the code the Just Type text is, I can't do a Tweak for it (you need to write some code, which you can't do in a json file). I couldn't find it in the luna folder anywhere, so I kind of suspect it's wired in there somewhere. The same thing is true for having a custom carrier color (color is set in a css file). Unless some developer out there knows how to use javascript to write a change to a css/json file.

I'll also be trying to add in "native" Instapaper support to the Sharing Super Mix patch.

As for Ubercalendar.....eh. I think the dev has done a fine job integrating it into the calendar, especially since you can instigate a change in the Ubercalendar prefs and have it take effect immediately, without having to restart the app (which you would have to do with Tweaks). Not every patch has to be tweakable in that Tweaks does a good job of providing an Ubercalendar option approach without having to make your own preference-scene in Mojo or whatever. Plus with the depths of options Ubercalendar provides, it would take over the Calendar section of Tweaks. Even sconix doesn't put every option for his Advanced Patches in a Tweaks section and he developed Tweaks. For example, if you use Advanced System Prefs for Phone, those preferences are in the phone app. Maybe he plans to convert them to Tweaks options, but they seem good where they are. Ah well, just my opinion.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Well, I am getting ready to do a Custom Carrier String tweak.
    That would be great! I was thinking about doing that one myself, but since I'm moving to a different state, I really wouldn't be able to get to it anytime soon. I'd love to have that -- Especially, if there was an option for pre-configured ones, such as the iPhone as a List Selector along with a textbox for a custom-made string.

Unfortunately, I haven't looked into the Just Type text, so I can't help with the location of that info.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa