Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Has anyone used PhoneGap + jQuery Mobile to develop a WebOS app? PhoneGap supports a variety of platforms, and the finished build is a native app instead of a webapp, so it seems like a more reasonable choice for me.

I tried to write a simple app with only a huge nested list, but when I ran it on my iphone, but performance wasn't as good as I hope, and I wonder if the performance will be the same on WebOS? Sorry, I don't have my Pre anymore, and I'm waiting for the Pre 3 to come before I want to commit to the WebOS platform again.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by aaronchow; 04/28/2011 at 12:56 PM.
    I wrote Audiophile using only JQuery and JQuery mobile.

I actually much prefer it than using Mojo as it is a whole lot easier to deal with the DOM.
    PLEASE help me....

Hi,
    i have made a simple page with Phonegap and jquery for WebOS but in
    the emulator and in the real phone the page is not scrolled up and
    down..!!!

This is the complete PhoneGap Project:

dl.dropbox.com/u/24919908/www_funziona.zip

If i use the app\views\first\first-scene.html instead of only root.html the scroll is ok but the JQuery style is out :-(

I want scroll and JQuery style...
    I was surprised to not see much response in this thread. Looks like there are not much (if any) phone gap devs here. You may should ask your question in a phone gap forum.
    Like I said above, I have never used phone gap, but if you are just using JQuery, I have found you need to roll your scroller. You can see an example if you look at the code for my Audiophile app, or you can use one of the many examples online.

Also, the webkit implementation on WebOS is really buggy, so some stuff that should work in webkit just doesn't.

I would love to start a tutorial thread on using JQuery only on WebOS, but there just does not seem to be the interest to justify the time.
    Hi, thank you for your reply....

>You may should ask your question in a phone gap forum.
    At this moment i do not have reply at phone gap forum...

>"or you can use one of the many examples online."
    I do not have found examples with long text for WebOS, only simple small text like "hello world" or little main view. For this examples scroll is not necessary so i can not test the scrollable function.
    Do you have examples with long text?

>look at the code for my Audiophile app
    Opss, sorry but i obtain this output in 1.4.5 webos:
    dl.dropbox.com/u/24919908/Audiophile_Jquery.jpg
    the left image when i look at dl.dropbox.com/u/8094086/wamp/index.html, the second image when i compile the index.html in a ipk file
    Don't compile for the phone, just use Chrome or another webkit browser. The output from a desktop browser is basically 1:1 for what you will see on the phone.

And definitely do not use the emulator. It is just a buggy pos.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    Don't compile for the phone, just use Chrome or another webkit browser. The output from a desktop browser is basically 1:1 for what you will see on the phone.

And definitely do not use the emulator. It is just a buggy pos.
    What issues are you having with the emulator? For the most part, it works fine for me.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I was being dramatic. My problem is with WebOS's webkit implementation. I find it is much easier to figure out bugs I introduce do to carelessness and wrongly blame on Palm if I use chrome in debug mode than if I use the emulator. Plus, once you ditch mojo, the code you see on chrome (or safari) runs identical to the code on the emulator (except for the bugs, which you then know to work around).

In addition, if you are careful with how you define the mouse down event, you can actually use the iPad or iPod browser, which gives you a 1:1 feel for how touch works.

Maybe it is because I am a C coder at heart, but I just find the emulator to be a needless distraction, when the chrome debug mode is far more robust.

And I know you know this Dan, but for others who may be reading this, I do love developing for WebOS, I just have some real issues with the choices they make. Their API has generally not been robust enough for low level guys like me, but too complicated for pure designers. I wish they would just go straight JavaScript and work on debugging rather than bring out something like Enyo.
    >Don't compile for the phone, just use Chrome or another webkit browser. The output from a desktop browser is basically 1:1 for what you will see on the phone.
    >And definitely do not use the emulator. It is just a buggy pos.

sorry but i obtain the same effect in chrome (left pictures) o in my pre plus 1.4.5 (right pictures)

Do you have any ideas?
    The left picture is still showing the program running on the phone. I just checked again and it works fine from chrome running on Windows 7 and from Mobile Safari running on iPad.

Have you clicked the link in the Audiophile thread from a Google Chrome or Apple Safari browser running from a desktop?

The reason it is not running on the phone is that it has a test which detects whether it is running on the phone. If it is, then it tries to load the plugin. Since you have 1.4.5, it won't be able to load the plugin and therefore locks.

For your needs, you should develop on a PC or Mac using a webkit browser. Once you have it working how you want, then move to the phone. The nice thing about WebOS is that it is basically just a webkit browser based OS, so if it runs in a desktop based webkit browser, it will run on the phone.
    Last edited by nyuepik; 05/05/2011 at 08:55 AM.