1.    #1  
    Hey Developers -

I'd be curious to hear if your conversion rate goes down with the new app catalog update the includes promo codes. Obviously I know you can't actually check the full conversion rate, but perhaps your sales might drop slightly?

Here's why:

On the update that was pushed today, when you go to purchase an app the popup that used to have buttons for "Purchase" and "Cancel" now has a new button for "Use Promo Code."

It's a fairly well-known thing in online sales that offering a coupon code field on the checkout cart can actually hurt sales. The theory goes that people see the coupon code field and think "Hm, I want to save some money here." So they stop their checkout process and go look for coupon codes. Maybe they find them, maybe they don't - but either way introducing something that might interrupt the purchase process and send people away from the "buy now" button can be a Very Bad idea.

How to lose sales using coupon codes | Reseo Blog

Now, it's even worse with Promo codes because 1. there aren't any yet now and 2. even when there are, they will be limited in number and hard to find.

In my opinion the Promo code option should have been relegated to a menu option instead of being shown as a button during the standard purchase process.

I'm betting that many of you will find that people are going to start searching for "YourAppName Promo Code" in Google and when they do, that's a pretty good sign that your sales are getting hurt.

So if anybody notices a change in their sales on 2.1 devices, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Feel free to email me.
    Sounds plausible to me. Unfortunately HP Analytics are non existent, so this seems like it would be a hard thing to track...
    One time I got a promo code from RedBox and I went all the way to the checkout process and figured that it will ask me for a promo code once I get to the end of checkout after I enter my credit card info. And guess what? It never did! It just charged my credit card. What happened is that they moved the promo code section to the main screen. It made me really upset because I didn't get to use the promo code.
    So, from the point view of the customer I think the promo code window should be displayed during checkout.
    Now, from the point view of the developer I think promo codes will help with sales since you can email these codes to reviewers and get fair reviews for your apps instead of stupid reviews that say "The app won't download, I need help installing it," with zero stars. The location of the promo code is where it should be and if somebody really wants to get your app they will buy it on the spot without thinking about getting a promo code for a $0.99 app.
    Carpeaqua posted an article about this. It's geared toward the App Store, but his points are universal: Why I Don’t Do Sales On The App Store « carpeaqua by Justin Williams

On the point of promo codes, he points out that they're for friends and journalists. This is ideal. If I want PreCentral to review my hot new app, I'll send them a promo code so they can try it out without spending the money. The money I lose from that sale from PC downloading it will be more than made up by their readers buying many copies of my app (even if only 2 people buy the app, your promo code just got you an extra sale). And, hey, who doesn't want their friends and family to use their apps? Way easier than setting them up with WOQI.

As for the the way Palm/HP implemented it, I'm not a fan. Promo codes are tied to a specific app, right? It SHOULD be how iTunes does it for music (and I assume, apps?). If you have an iTunes promo code for a specific song or album, you don't find the song/album, click BUY, and then enter in the promo code. You actually go to "Redeem Coupon" and enter the code it. iTunes is smart enough to know that code is for a specific album or song and that album or song starts downloading. That's how app promo codes should work.

Instead of finding the app in the Catalog, tapping Download, tapping Purchase, tapping Use Promo Code, there should either be a button on the home scene of the App Catalog that says "Redeem Code" OR a "Use Promo Code" option in the app menu. Then, when a user types in their promo code, the Catalog goes "Oh, hey, this code is for Angry Birds. Let's start downloading Angry Birds."

Not only will this buck the trend of Googling for coupon codes as Dieter points out (I ALWAYS check RetailMeNot before completing any transaction online.), but it's WAY easier on the user. No need to search for the app and tap a bunch of buttons. Just enter your promo code and BOOM! App starts downloading.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhephree View Post
    As for the the way Palm/HP implemented it, I'm not a fan. Promo codes are tied to a specific app, right? It SHOULD be how iTunes does it for music (and I assume, apps?). If you have an iTunes promo code for a specific song or album, you don't find the song/album, click BUY, and then enter in the promo code. You actually go to "Redeem Coupon" and enter the code it. iTunes is smart enough to know that code is for a specific album or song and that album or song starts downloading. That's how app promo codes should work.
    I *think* that promo codes are tied to specific apps, but I'm not 100% sure on that, not being in the developer program. I agree that ideally you would go through the process Zhephree describes - find "enter promo code" on the app catalog menu, enter the code, and boom you have your app.
    The only concern I have is googling the codes up but the potential counter to this concern is can the code have a limited use? For example, a give code can be set to be used only x amount of times. If so then this concern is just a meh.

**Update**: Read the promo code program at the dev site and codes will have ability for limited uses. https://developer.palm.com/content/r...omo_codes.html

From a customer POV, seeing the button "Use Promo Code" on every app download with a price tag may auto assume there is some app catalog discount that may not exist and generate extra emails to the dev for customer constantly checking if there is a code to use and will prolly hold off till one is avail. This is how I can see this hurt sales.
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 04/28/2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I *think* that promo codes are tied to specific apps, but I'm not 100% sure on that, not being in the developer program. I agree that ideally you would go through the process Zhephree describes - find "enter promo code" on the app catalog menu, enter the code, and boom you have your app.
    HPalm posted info on the promo code program on the public dev site here:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...omo_codes.html

No secret and/or login require to view it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    My understanding is also that on the AppStore the promo codes are bound to a single app. For music there exists "general" promo codes, but not for apps.
    That's an interesting theory. If that is the case, then I have to agree with you that promo codes would have been best in the app menu instead of at checkout.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    That's an interesting theory. If that is the case, then I have to agree with you that promo codes would have been best in the app menu instead of at checkout.
    It's the only thing I can think off to improve the process right now but ATM I'm glad we have this now. We can worry about tweaking it later on if it does in fact hurt sales.

We appreciate the feedback. First off, we’re excited to give webOS developers another great tool to promote and market their app. We carefully considered the experience from a developer’s and a user’s point of view and, in the end, we wanted to make this feature transparent and easy to use, while also giving developers effective controls for how they manage and use promo codes. We look forward to developers taking advantage of this latest feature and, as always, welcome everyone’s feedback.

Sincerely,

Sean Lindo
    Communications Manager – webOS Developer Relations
    I'm still on 1.4.5 with a VZW preplus. I ran preware today which showed I have 3 apps with updates. I tried updating all of them at the same time, as well as 1 at a time, and each time preware hung (downloading / updating). I expected some of them would open the app catalog to complete the update, but that did not happen either. Maybe this is unrelated?

Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    I'm still on 1.4.5 with a VZW preplus. I ran preware today which showed I have 3 apps with updates. I tried updating all of them at the same time, as well as 1 at a time, and each time preware hung (downloading / updating). I expected some of them would open the app catalog to complete the update, but that did not happen either. Maybe this is unrelated?
    It is unrelated.

But try just going straight to the App Catalog to update apps. You only have to update from Preware if you're updating patches or homebrew apps. Also, try changing your data connection (if you're using WiFi, turn it off - if you're not, try it with WiFi)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanlindohp View Post
    We appreciate the feedback. First off, we’re excited to give webOS developers another great tool to promote and market their app. We carefully considered the experience from a developer’s and a user’s point of view and, in the end, we wanted to make this feature transparent and easy to use, while also giving developers effective controls for how they manage and use promo codes. We look forward to developers taking advantage of this latest feature and, as always, welcome everyone’s feedback.

Sincerely,

Sean Lindo
    Communications Manager – webOS Developer Relations
    Thanks for chiming in! Hopefully webOS Developer Relations will continue improving communication with developers.

I guess it's a little too early right now to determine the effect of having the promo code button at checkout on conversion rates, but I would be really interested in seeing what effect, if any, this change has.