Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So saw this on engadget, says that webOS has even less developers interested than RIM and windows. Only thing that scored less than webOS was meego and Symbian.
    Windows Phone and BlackBerry struggle to attract developer attention -- Engadget
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Not surprising at all. WebOS isn't exactly a best-seller. It has lots of potential, it just hasn't reached it.
    Sadly, I'm not surprised either. There are many obstacles to webOS development at the moment in addition to the small user base. For one, lack of documentation and tutorials prevents a lot of people from development. Also, the SDK was very limited for a long time without access to things such as the microphone. While some of that has been added, it should have been there when webOS was introduced (or shortly after.)

Then, there is the change from Mojo to Enyo (with Ares introduced in between.) While Enyo is a better way to do things in my opinion, it is a hassle for existing developers. Especially, since there isn't any actual hardware to test Enyo apps.

Finally, and probably the biggest issue, is the significant lack of new hardware devices even available. Sprint users (the majority) only have the Pre- and Pixi- and the number of Pre2 devices in the hands of U.S. users is rather small. So, to develop 2.x apps for a very limited number of devices, yet supporting the 1.4.5 users is not a trivial developer issue.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    can't develop for hardware that doesn't exist. Why bother when most people say"webos whats that". I loved Webos but the Pre and Pre plus were junk. couldn't wait on Palm or HP so now I'm back on the BB Bold and a new playbook. I wish them luck but they have alot of established hardware out there to compete with. Playbook is close to 2000 apps after only a week on the market. It's going to be hard to market and develop against established giants like Ios, Android and BB. Names most people know and trust now. Webos? yeah wasn't that the crap Pre phones that were out. They have a terrible rep to repair inorder to compete, Don't get me wrong, Webos is the best (hardware sucked) They better have killer hardware to over come the rep.
    Lack of documentation is not a problem. You program using javascript, right? There's no shortage of documentation on javascript all over the internets. The documentation provided on the Palm developer website is more than adequate for dealing with Palm-specific APIs.

Also, the transition from Mojo to Enyo should have little effect on developer interest in my opinion. Yes, it is a problem for current developers, but the chart talks about "very interested" in developing for each platform, which I take as "likely to develop for the given platform".

The lack of new hardware issue will be solved soon enough.

Also, not sure if you've read the reviews of the Playbook, but it's not looking so hot right now. Probably the only reason you're satisfied with it is because you decided to take a step back and choose a BB Bold instead of a real smartphone. But hey, BB has "super" apps now. Too bad the 2000 apps on the Playbook are mostly junk, from all the reviews panning the Playbook.

These three problems are not what is holding webOS back. It is ridiculous policies with the app catalog that are holding webOS back. You just need to browse the App Submissions subforum at the Palm developer forums to see the kinds of problems devs are dealing with. If you follow @webOSInternals on Twitter, you will see how frustrated developers are with geo-restrictions.

It's easy to say it was "crappy" hardware holding webOS back, but no, it's the app catalog and Palm's ridiculous policies with it, which have carried over to HP.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I read that most of the Playbook apps are just repackaged flash/air apps, not apps developed for the playbook.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    interesting that it's the only platform with a tablet and a phone where they are more interested in the tablet.

for comparison this is the same survery from back in 2010

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/09...ics-landscape/
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 04/27/2011 at 01:14 AM.
    Here is another concerning poll result.
    Only 1% of consumers planning on getting a new smartphone in the next year plan on getting a webos smartphone.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Niels...-model_id18430
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    None of this is too surprising. After HP/Palm's poor handling of a number of issues, I'm one of the people making up the Android percentages (as a consumer, rather than a developer but I think both groups have similar feelings on a lot of things), both for tablets and phones. I'll be getting an Android tablet in June and an Android phone in October when my contract ends and I can get rid of my Pre.

I wouldn't necessarily mind getting another webOS phone but there are so many things that STILL aren't there yet and HP are taking so long to get the basics done that it would probably be a long time before I felt ready to do so - but by then I imagine other mobile OSes would've iterated and innovated faster anyway. TouchPad on the other hand, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.
    well i'm not surprised either. i'm in a similar position. My contract ends in August but i think i can get out now for $50. But when i'm done i'm pretty much done. i've had bad experiences with hp products so i honestly don't trust their product quality. (two hp laptops and desktops - laptop failed last week So i to won't be getting a webos phone as my next phone for several reasons. It's just not for me.

Same goes for the touchpad. i don't want a tablet but if i did the touchpad just doesn't interest me. I'd go a different way.
    WebOS tablet is the only one whose interest held steady or slightly increased since Jan, all others including IOS Android and Blackberry took a nice dip.

Jury is still out until tablet launch.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    WebOS tablet is the only one whose interest held steady or slightly increased since Jan, all others including IOS Android and Blackberry took a nice dip.

Jury is still out until tablet launch.
    Even if the interest in the TouchPad increases whilst interest in other tablets wanes slightly, the interest in other tablets is still greater. It's like comparing a loud mouse with a quiet lion. The lion's still louder even with a quiet roar, than the poor little mouse ever will be...
    I feel the only way that HP will be able to get more interest is to get Fragmentation down. In order to do this they need to get the older devices on V2.x. They also need to be getting the PRE2 on all Carriers (IE Sprint) Then they should be advertizing on TV, Internet, Etc. for the Pre2. They have things that they can do to help them right now. They just need to finish one thing before they move onto the next. They through the Pre2 out the door without even trying to sell it. How does this help!!! Start advertizing the great hardware that you already have. Let people know you have new hardware out there let them know new stuff is just around the corner too. Let them know who is going to be getting this new hardware.

Just my 2 cents.
    1% of 400 million potential users is still a lot of users. Looking forward to the upswing and activity when the Veer, Pre3 and Touchpad are released. Should be interesting! Sorli...
    My understanding from the Kerris podcast at webosroundup is that HP's strategy is to support some 3rd party apps to be created for launch, most probably from small developers and hopefully covering some key services. They are hoping the big names will come within 12-18 months as the PC installations ramp. We will have to see what the apps are and the state of the OS and then see whether customers like the bundle. If they do so, then more developers will come. They have some nice marketing muscle and enterprise attention right now, lets see what they do.

My sense also is that they know the importance of a good TouchPad launch and most of their resources are dedicated towards the tablet right now. It will be awhile for the phones to fully get up to speed although encouraging to hear about the existence of 2.3 and the sense that there is a roadmap for multiple devices down the pike (even with the slab there are only 5 devices accounted for launch this year and I thought there were 6 planned, unless you count the pre2).

Additionally unless you are a blackberry shop, like Google having access to your phone data, or are pleased by Apple's closed system, there is still a spot vacant in the market for HP.
    I don't find the charts surprising or alarming.
    The lack of hardware for sale at this moment is a depressor for these stats.
    The ocurring/impending fragmentation is too.
    Nothing to do but wait for the next generation of hardware to make it out the door and the old generation to be replaced.
    THEN, if the stats are like this there's a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Not if you're hoping for a lot of 3rd party tablet software at or near launch. That would depend on interest prior to launch. Developers can wait-and-see, also.
    I agree. There is not very much interest because people are waiting to see if HP delivers. Some are not waiting though, they're just not interested, yet.

Also, kudos for using "A lot" without the usual missplelling, "alot." I don't complain about that near as much as I would if I let myself.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    I'm not sure i buy the argument that the reason there was no interest in a developing for webos is that there is no device. If so why was interest so low in the 2010 chart 17% when there was a pre plus out on at&t and verizon and possibly the pre 2? And if not having a device matters so much how come then interest in the touch pad is virtually the same now 17% as in 2010, 16%, when there has been no touchpad the whole time? Clearly not having device hasn't shrunk the interest in developing for the touchpad so it shouldn't be an excuse for the pre. Granted interest is low for both but still. no device shouldn't be an issue for one but not the other in my mind.

As for strategy, if the strategy is to wait 12 - 18 months for big name apps or app makers I think you can guarantee consumers will wait 12 - 18 months to decide if they'll buy your tablet. In the meantime they'll buy something else. I think it's a problematic strategy. I'd like to hope that what was shown on feb 9, is just the tip of the behind the scenes work with big names. Because they really need to launch with like 150 to 200 really major name apps from major companies like starbucks, cnn, cnbc, chase, netflix obviously which is i think coming, but the big companies like espn etc. Because they tried that strategy with the Pre. Just wait they said. The app store will come and we'll get a flood of apps people said. or When it hits Verizon a flood of apps. Or AT&T. Or when we win some laptop mag poll or whatever. Point is if you waited from launch for apps it never came. And hell if you gotta wait for half the term of a contract without what you really want i gotta say that's a hard sell.

I'm hoping for their sake when they launch they have a ton of big name apps because i think w/o it it's just another tablet. But i think the point of the engadget article was that wp7 and blackberry where really in trouble when it comes to interest in developing for their platform. The troubling thing is if they are concerning at 27% & 29% interest what is shape is webos in at half that, 12%, in places? It's a tough road for them.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 04/27/2011 at 05:09 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Lack of documentation is not a problem. You program using javascript, right? There's no shortage of documentation on javascript all over the internets. The documentation provided on the Palm developer website is more than adequate for dealing with Palm-specific APIs.

Also, the transition from Mojo to Enyo should have little effect on developer interest in my opinion. Yes, it is a problem for current developers, but the chart talks about "very interested" in developing for each platform, which I take as "likely to develop for the given platform".

The lack of new hardware issue will be solved soon enough.

Also, not sure if you've read the reviews of the Playbook, but it's not looking so hot right now. Probably the only reason you're satisfied with it is because you decided to take a step back and choose a BB Bold instead of a real smartphone. But hey, BB has "super" apps now. Too bad the 2000 apps on the Playbook are mostly junk, from all the reviews panning the Playbook.

These three problems are not what is holding webOS back. It is ridiculous policies with the app catalog that are holding webOS back. You just need to browse the App Submissions subforum at the Palm developer forums to see the kinds of problems devs are dealing with. If you follow @webOSInternals on Twitter, you will see how frustrated developers are with geo-restrictions.

It's easy to say it was "crappy" hardware holding webOS back, but no, it's the app catalog and Palm's ridiculous policies with it, which have carried over to HP.
    This from developer of twitter client Carbon " As for development I believe WP7 and iOS are superior to webOS for the time being as they have the best IDEs and Design tools available in the market. Many would disagree with me on this, but man they’re really superior."
  20.    #20  
    The he goes on to say "One very obvious shortcoming of webOS design is the design guidelines document. For some reason it looks like technical writers who wrote the documentation for Mojo thought only programmers would work on webOS and no designers are to be involved as you might have seen the whole reference pages are written in programmers lingo while WP7 has a rich branding-guidelines-like documentation that explains every part of the UI system along with the philosophy behind it and gives directions for every possible UI need. We don’t have that in webOS and I think that’s the reason why we see inconsistent design patterns in apps on webOS. Some might say that’s a good thing, in the long run, that’ll make webOS lose its identity. As simple as the UI structure is in webOS it is hard for non-designers to understand it. We need designer-language documentation for UI/Experience design on webOS."
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast