Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84
  1. #61  
    Right, they're just selling a digital copy a la the iTunes Movie Store. That's still pretty different from what Netflix offers.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    This is ridiculous. I love me some hypotheticals too. Can I play?

    McDonald's could give studios more money for first-run titles since they're not primarily focused on the film industry as well. You should be able to order a movie to go along with your big mac. They have enormous scale and serve billions and billions.
    Here's a fun fact... McDonald's has sold big name movies in the past...

    The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles McDonald's commercial - Indiana Jones Wiki - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Young Indy, and more!

    The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles McDonald's commercial was a 1991 advertisement used to promote the 1992 debut of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on the ABC television channel. The commercial was included on VHS cassettes as part of a McDonald's restaurant promotional campaign that sold the first three Indiana Jones films for $5.99 each with the purchase of a large sandwich, breakfast sandwich or extra-value meal. The offer ran for three weeks at participating United States restaurants from December 16, 1991.[1]
  3.    #63  
    With this skype news, even less developers would be interested in webOS, and more in windows.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4. #64  
    What exactly does Skype have to do with what developers are doing???

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5. #65  
    Can't stand the Skype interface, perhaps time for a change.

    Popular alternatives to Skype - Faster Forward - The Washington Post
    Popular alternatives to Skype
    By Hayley Tsukayama

    Microsoft has acquired Skype, the popular Internet telephone service. It’s not yet clear what effect, if any, this will have on current users. But in case you’re curious, here are a few popular alternatives to Skype:

    ooVoo: This service provides users a way to voice and video chat with up to six people at a time. You can make calls through a desktop client, a browser or over mobile on WiFi, 3G and 4G.

    Google Voice and Video Chat: This is hard to beat for convenience. It’s right there in your Gmail and can be used for voice and video chat with any other Gmail user. In the U.S., calls are free until 2012, and international rates range from 2 cents a minute to $6.90 a minute depending on where you’re calling.

    FaceTime: FaceTime may be limited to Mac products, but it still lets users chat between iPhones, iPods, iPads and Macs for free. FaceTime offers a totally immersive video calling experience — controls and window frames disappear leaving a clean call interface. The app costs .99 in the Mac App Store.

    VoxOx: Like a combination of Skype, Google Voice, DropBox and TweetDeck VoxOx offers unified social network chats, video calls, file-sharing and a unified Google Voice-like number that will ring all of a users’ phones.
  6. #66  
    I'm confident these stats will change as we start shipping product. That's what we're working towards.

    Developers are the customer.
  7. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkerris View Post
    I'm confident these stats will change as we start shipping product. That's what we're working towards.

    Developers are the customer.
    Always happy to see you have you ears to the ground. I feel pretty confident that HP is doing what needs to be done in the background to make the TouchPad and subsequently webOS 3.0 a successful launch in both hardware & more importantly (at this point) Software.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  8. acidhax's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkerris View Post
    I'm confident these stats will change as we start shipping product. That's what we're working towards.

    Developers are the customer.
    Honestly, there are certain things that our API _NEED_. I don't know, like, maybe being able to simply resize an image? How about gradients support?

    There are just too many holes in the API that are missing...
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    Honestly, there are certain things that our API _NEED_. I don't know, like, maybe being able to simply resize an image? How about gradients support?

    There are just too many holes in the API that are missing...
    I have no idea what gradient support is, but I support you nonetheless, the last thing a WebOS developer needs is a hand tied behind their back. If HP wants us to buy into the quality over quantity mantra, then developers need all the tools possible to make innovative quality apps.

    RELEASE THE API's!!!!
  10. #70  
    Halfway negative, halfway positive:
    Veer runs hybrid/PDK Pixi apps because the screen size is the same. But Pre3 doesn't share the screen size of any other webos product.

    On the bad side: That means that for Pre 3, mojo hybrid/PDK apps that were made for either Pixi OR Pre won't work. We've had a lot of devs who made those original apps abandon the market. And because there is so little developer interest in ares, Pre 3 will start off with even fewer apps than either Pre or Pixi. Veer is starting off better than Pre 3 in this regard.

    On the good side: That leaves a lot of room for new developers to come in and make some quick cash, by re-making many of the apps that had already been developed for the Pre but the developers have abandoned (and re-making them using ares).
  11. #71  
    Could we get a list of apps abandoned by devs between pre, preplus, pre2 model and pre3 model?
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleFart9 View Post
    On the bad side: That means that for Pre 3, mojo hybrid/PDK apps that were made for either Pixi OR Pre won't work. We've had a lot of devs who made those original apps abandon the market. And because there is so little developer interest in ares, Pre 3 will start off with even fewer apps than either Pre or Pixi. Veer is starting off better than Pre 3 in this regard.
    This is not true. The Pre 3 will scale any SDK/PDK app up 1.5x automaticaly...

    •Pre3 automatically scales existing Mojo apps up 1.5 times.
    You'll have to click on Pre 3, but here is the source...
    https://developer.palm.com/content/s..._showcase.html
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    This is not true. The Pre 3 will scale any SDK/PDK app up 1.5x automaticaly...



    You'll have to click on Pre 3, but here is the source...
    https://developer.palm.com/content/s..._showcase.html
    Thank you for correcting me. In retrospect, I should have phrased this as more of a potential situation than as a "factual" statement.
  14.    #74  
    I hope we get netflix and chase and a good kindle app like Palm's facebook app
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkerris View Post
    I'm confident these stats will change as we start shipping product. That's what we're working towards.

    Developers are the customer.

    HP/Palm has been pulling the same crap for way too long. The fact is I have a phone that HP won't update, heck they won't even update the Pre2. You are all horrible at customer relations, you treat your customers like crap. I am stuck on one more year of a contract on a phone that neither Sprint nor HP care about.

    I was promised many things, but what was actually delivered is very little. If they are not going to update the pre 2, what the he** will they ever update? keep talking out of the side of your mouth Kerris. No apps, no care for customers, at least I will have this POS pre- for another year. Thanks for nothing!
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    HP/Palm has been pulling the same crap for way too long. The fact is I have a phone that HP won't update, heck they won't even update the Pre2. You are all horrible at customer relations, you treat your customers like crap. I am stuck on one more year of a contract on a phone that neither Sprint nor HP care about.

    I was promised many things, but what was actually delivered is very little. If they are not going to update the pre 2, what the he** will they ever update? keep talking out of the side of your mouth Kerris. No apps, no care for customers, at least I will have this POS pre- for another year. Thanks for nothing!
    I would like HP to make good on their promise to "make things right" for the legacy users. And also to debut the phones with enough of the right type of apps to get customers so devs will come (Both AP and WSJ have already complained about the apps for the Veer).

    That said, there is no need to speak in such a disrespectful tone.

    Pre2 VZW not being updated is in VZW's hands, Pre2 GSM is updated.
    The Pre- and PrePlus are still good working phones and HP and the generous webos internals community has made it possible for you to update their software if you wish, if you can't do it yourself then webos world will do it for you for a nominal fee.
    Too bad it took so long after the merger to get Palm back on track, hopefully all the time that has passed will yield positive results in the next month.
  17.    #77  
    All Im saying is if webOS 3.0 is not a kick **** OS optimizated with hardware acceleration and significant advance in PIM apps, it would be a travesty cause there would be nothing holding people from going to better hardware and better software, both of which are currently available.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    That said, there is no need to speak in such a disrespectful tone.

    HPalm disrespected me first. No 2.1 on pre 2 is not Verizon's fault. It's HPs fault for having no leverage to push back. They have no leverage because HP has run all thier customers & developers out the door. There is no excuse for a proprietary system to be this fragmented (Ex. Apple. They are always on the same page.)

    My Point is just because Richard Kerris (or his assistants) skims the boards and throws us a bone here and there does not me he deserved the worship he gets here. Lets make him earn it.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    HPalm disrespected me first. No 2.1 on pre 2 is not Verizon's fault. It's HPs fault for having no leverage to push back. They have no leverage because HP has run all thier customers & developers out the door. There is no excuse for a proprietary system to be this fragmented (Ex. Apple. They are always on the same page.)

    My Point is just because Richard Kerris (or his assistants) skims the boards and throws us a bone here and there does not me he deserved the worship he gets here. Lets make him earn it.
    I understand you want to be heard. And there's a way to say things where people will hear you. "Ramboing" tends to make people dismiss you.

    No leverage with Verizon on Pre2 probably because not enough customers which has to do with Palm's failure to execute on Verizon. On the other hand, leverage enough to get the Pre3 on Verizon (we hope) despite the failed past launches and have the Verizon CTO call out webOS as a promising system.

    I'm not sure if there is "no excuse" for the fragmentation, given the merger and the fast-moving pace of the mobile industry. That said, the market will give HP one pass but probably not more. Customers and devs are voting with their feet, reviewers are blunt, competition is rampant and the momentum tends to build off of first reactions. That is putting pressure on HP and Palm to execute correctly first time around--to "earn it", as you say.
  20. #80  
    Again, no excuse for fragmentation. HP needed a plan from day one, not making it up as they go along. I'm pretty sure Palm is not the first company that HP absorbed, they should be better at it by this point.

    No Excuse for leaving Developers & Customers twisting in the wind for 6 months. They decided to push the reset button and now It will be hard to get Users without Developers (apps). Equally it will be hard to get Developers without Users. Sorry for Ramboing, but at this point that is all that is left.

    Keep drinking the Richard Kerris Cool-aid Bluenote.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions