Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The new Palm dev relations VP came from Lucas's co and didn't Katzenberg from Spielberg's film co and formerly from Disney speak at the Feb event?

If HP is creating a movie store, they don't need to make the profit margins that Netflix makes as this is not their sole business, so presumably they can get newer material from the studios and pay the studios more for the rights.
    Which probably isn't what a typical customer who already uses and enjoys Netflix wants to hear...
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Which probably isn't what a typical customer who already uses and enjoys Netflix wants to hear...
    thanks man, for pointing stupidity out
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Even if the interest in the TouchPad increases whilst interest in other tablets wanes slightly, the interest in other tablets is still greater. It's like comparing a loud mouse with a quiet lion. The lion's still louder even with a quiet roar, than the poor little mouse ever will be...
    You sound like another lion in another story...have you ever read the story of the Lion & the Mouse, one of Aesop's Fables? If not, perhaps you should, and maybe the mouse will surprise you in the end. Enjoy the story my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    thanks man, for pointing stupidity out
    Wow, get over yourself.

If the HP movie store can get first-run movies before Netflix, it would be a better service. We don't know pricing either.
  5.    #45  
    Wow, get over yourself.

If the HP movie store can get first-run movies before Netflix, it would be a better service. We don't know pricing either.
    I still want netflix with all movies, TV channels and foreign movies that netflix have. If H/P gives anything on top of streaming netflix, I will thank them, but I want netflix there first.
    I still want netflix with all movies, TV channels and foreign movies that netflix have. If H/P gives anything on top of streaming netflix, I will thank them, but I want netflix there first.
    That's your preference which is fine and there is a way to express that without saying that speculation about another potential service with possibly better ties to movie studios "stupidity". Since first-run movies generate most of the DVD rental revenue, it makes sense that many would prefer a service that could deliver those sooner than Netflix does and there is plenty room yet for competitors to come in as Netflix contracts come up for renewal and studios start to demand better terms (just as Netflix arose).
    Nobody uses webOS, because the hardware really really sucks, and the new hardware coming out is really behind the curve
    I agree and disagree. I agree no one uses webos because the hardware now does suck. However I don't really consider the pre 3 that behind the curve if at all. Is it an eco or atrix? No but does every phone need to be? No. Its like in cars. You have BMW and Mercedes then you have dogde, Chevrolet, and Toyota. Not every.ne needs or wants a Mercedes or beamer. The pre 3 fits nicely in the line up of phones out there. I have little little doubt it will perform well hardware wise. Atleast in literally performance. It actually seems to have better hardware then my HTC arrive, because it has a front camera, gesture area, and is thinner with a more comfortable feel due to its rubberized back and sides and curved body. Now looks wise I like it but I like my arrives looks too. And the funny thing is, most people buy phones other then the iPhone for looks. But hell I love the pre 3. I would love a pre 4 with 4g and a 4 inch screen though anyway problem is webos software is behind in some places and with IOS 5, honeycomb, and windows phone 7.5 coming up against webos 3, hp needs to make sure they aren't just playing catch up. We need apps for that touchpad. In my opinion they should concentrate on that more because there's alot of room for a good tablet. As far as phones go, it will take time.
    That's your preference which is fine and there is a way to express that without saying that speculation about another potential service with possibly better ties to movie studios "stupidity". Since first-run movies generate most of the DVD rental revenue, it makes sense that many would prefer a service that could deliver those sooner than Netflix does and there is plenty room yet for competitors to come in as Netflix contracts come up for renewal and studios start to demand better terms (just as Netflix arose).
    Even if they do prefer such a hypothetical service, that service would have to be available on PCs, iOS, Android, and consoles too. HP can't reasonable expect to sell a niche service exclusively on a niche mobile operating system/
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Even if they do prefer such a hypothetical service, that service would have to be available on PCs, iOS, Android, and consoles too. HP can't reasonable expect to sell a niche service exclusively on a niche mobile operating system/
    If it can be accessed via a browser similar to Amazon video on demand, then anyone with a PC can use it.

For awhile I think Amazon video on demand was only available via the website, wasn't it? A year later, I have it now on my Panasonic blueray video player as well but even now not all blueray players/tvs have it. I think my blueray player got Amazon and Netflix at the same time.
    Wow, get over yourself.

I agree but also there is the problem of availability and pricing. Is it subscription pricing, or individual movie renting/buying. If so in my opinion that is pointless I mean it isn't, but against Netflix its not a competitor. Netflix may have older movies and shows but it has alot of them and you can watch any of them anytime you want. And the other big issue is availability. Netflix is on Xbox, its on ps3 its on bluray players, TVs phones and the ipad and also the internet... I can even watch a movie on my WP and resume from my ps3! This will be a big hurtle because most people may not want to pay 10 bucks for a service just on there tablet and phone, even if its better. Its a matter of pricing, availability of the service, and the product and quality that will determine how good this could be. If hp is smart, they make a streaming service featuring new and old stuff, allow you "instant" movies to be downloaded on your device (you pick which if any) as long as you have the service, and make the service widespread by adding it to Xbox, ps3, TVs and IOS. Also make the site run on html5 so it can work from the browser on phones with no app. Then charge 10 instead of 9 and it would be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I agree but also there is the problem of availability and pricing. Is it subscription pricing, or individual movie renting/buying. If so in my opinion that is pointless I mean it isn't, but against Netflix its not a competitor. Netflix may have older movies and shows but it has alot of them and you can watch any of them anytime you want. And the other big issue is availability. Netflix is on Xbox, its on ps3 its on bluray players, TVs phones and the ipad and also the internet... .
    Sure. The biggest hurdle will be acquiring the rights for the shows. HP can give the studios more money for the shows as it does not have to make a huge profit on this initially, unlike Netflix which is a one-product smaller competitor. But it may take awhile to sign the contracts with the studios. For sure, though, the studios are looking for alternatives to Netflix so they can make more money. Some of them signed contracts when Netflix was small and now that Netflix is big and competing with the studio cable divisions and dvd divisions, the studios are looking for other choices. We'll have to see what happens.
    This is ridiculous. I love me some hypotheticals too. Can I play?

McDonald's could give studios more money for first-run titles since they're not primarily focused on the film industry as well. You should be able to order a movie to go along with your big mac. They have enormous scale and serve billions and billions.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    This is ridiculous. I love me some hypotheticals too. Can I play?

McDonald's could give studios more money for first-run titles since they're not primarily focused on the film industry as well. You should be able to order a movie to go along with your big mac. They have enormous scale and serve billions and billions.
    Look at Amazon now. Their revenues are going up (they are selling more products) but margins are tanking. Why? They are investing to drive competitors out of the business. And they can afford to do it, they won't go bankrupt.
    In that same vein, HP can afford to hand out free Pres to everyone to build marketshare. That doesn't mean they'll want to do it though.
    agreed. we will have to see what they do.
  16.    #56  
    So will developers make netflix for my pre?
    Palms own website ad for TouchPad mentions Harry Potter movie, this is a TimeWarner movie, suggesting they signed a movie deal with TWX along with a magazine deal.

TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 coming Spring 2011 on DVD, Blu-ray™ and On Demand.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/03/2011 at 04:07 AM.
    And right on cue, here are some transcribed remarks from TimeWarner CEO, which say the studio is fine to license the older shows to Netflix but not the newer ones, excerpts below from story entitled "Time Warner’s Jeff Bewkes: We Love Netflix! They Can Have All Our Old Stuff!":

So our view has been that it (Netflix and other subscription services) is not usually the right outlet for the newer, higher-value content that is functioning much more powerfully for viewers, on other kinds of networks, in other windows....

Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes On Netflix | Peter Kafka | MediaMemo | AllThingsD
    "On Demand" doesn't necessarily mean HP has the digital rights to WB movies. Every studio offers first run stuff on demand via their own channels -- here's WB's, including Harry Potter: http://www.warnerbros.com/?page=on-demand/
    From HP's ad, next to scene of Harry Potter on a Touchpad,
    see the link in my post on previous page:

"Heading out of town? Download movies or TV shows on TouchPad from the HP Movie Store to watch on a flight.10"
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast