Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The appcelerator developer survey data seems to be pretty big news. If Precentral is a real news site, they really should post this information on the front page.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    This from developer of twitter client Carbon " As for development I believe WP7 and iOS are superior to webOS for the time being as they have the best IDEs and Design tools available in the market. Many would disagree with me on this, but man they’re really superior."
    They better be given how long those tools have been around.
    From a laypersons standpoint, what is the actual import of all of this stuff when it comes to actually developing apps? I'm no developer and probably am nowhere near up to date on some of the stuff people on here post about. I'm just a guy who happens to really like his phone and it's OS, and would like to see it ultimately prosper preferably with Sprint as one of the carriers. I understand and wholeheartedly agree with many of the issues with HP/Palm posted here and other threads and the angry/disappointed sentiment behind many of them. What is hard for me to assess is how quickly developers can ramp up apps if HP gets its act together and how much investment in time/capital that would require. On one hand, I see the Ipad getting 65,000 dedicated apps in about a year, and posts like BB has gotten 2,000 apps in a week after launch. On the other I see word that Android has been slow to get apps that are scaled to the Honeycomb tablet system, or I hear from some developers in my particular app interest area acting like making new apps for any platform is like writing code for the next Mars lander with far off market dates. I also see that BB and BN have adopted Android apps in various forms, and it makes me wonder if it's a case of the cost/time barriers to entry in the app biz now being at state that only 2 platforms can be reasonably supported.

It's all kind of hard to take in which can't be good for HP as I consider myself a patient, rational person when it comes to this stuff, but I doubt most of the market is. So in the end if HP comes out with the Touchpad/Veer/Pre3 in a couple of months with a solid hardware and a good carrier slate, is that enough change the tide on developer interest in a sector that big picture-wise tends to turn on a dime? Or are we all resting on HP's belief that the yet to be seen WebOs on Windows stuff will be the big app draw? Everybody's frustration aside, how hard is the task at hand?
    You've nicely summed up the $64,000 question (is that game still on tv?).

In the large view, HP has many assets and skills which positions it well in both consumer and enterprise (see link to my post at the bottom discussing a well-written article on this)

In the short term, the question is whether the new webOS devices will perform well enough and have enough popular and innovative apps and positive customer reception, to convince the base of developers that they will be rewarded financially for their time.
    The financial reward seems to be the key; it does not seem particularly hard to develop for webOS versus the competition.

There's just enough unknown here and just enough fans for HP to succeed to make this very interesting to watch, I would love to be at the huge HP Discover conference in June as it seems all the major enterprise players and tons of clients will be there and thus it makes sense for HP to debut the new devices there.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post2948291
  5.    #25  
    Hey looks like my thread kind of made the front page news of P/C
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKreese View Post
    From a laypersons standpoint, what is the actual import of all of this stuff when it comes to actually developing apps?
    It's kind of like a sad version of the chicken and the egg thing. Nobody wants to develop for webOS because nobody uses webOS. Nobody uses webOS because nobody wants to develop for webOS.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's kind of like a sad version of the chicken and the egg thing. Nobody wants to develop for webOS because nobody uses webOS. Nobody uses webOS because nobody wants to develop for webOS.
    Nobody uses webOS, because the hardware really really sucks, and the new hardware coming out is really behind the curve
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Did you see new Samsung Galaxy 2 phone? If Samsung put webOS in that device, even without any apps, people will buy that phone!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Did you see new Samsung Galaxy 2 phone? If Samsung put webOS in that device, even without any apps, people will buy that phone!
    It goes to show what kind of effort Samsung and Apple are willing to put in getting a user experience and hardware experience to people. Palm and H/P just dont have similar caliber of people.
    Nobody uses webOS, because the hardware really really sucks, and the new hardware coming out is really behind the curve
    what specifically about the Pre3 makes it 'behind the curve'?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Spec, it's not bad but it doesn't stand out from tons of android phones already in the market right now.

Design of the phone, they kept the same design. It failed on Pre, Pre Plus and Pre 2. I don't think it will appear to the potential buyer.

Honestly, Pre 3 is just not that special. If you look at any article, they praise about the webOS, not the design. And I believe people don't really care about the OS outside of Precentral.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Again tell me the specs of pre-3 that is better than GSII? Other than higher processor vs dual processor, there are nothing. Pre-3 doesnt stand out against any super smartphones. No NFC, no DLNA, no retina display, not a single spec, that is not present on other superphones. Look at GSII, people are calling it the best smartphone ever. Do people say the same for pre-3?
    Look at GSII, people are calling it the best smartphone ever. Do people say the same for pre-3?
    No, but that's because of lack of advertising, mindshare, and the carriers not promoting well enough [/sarcasm]
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    No, but that's because of lack of advertising, mindshare, and the carriers not promoting well enough [/sarcasm]
    Engadget was not paid to tell Sammy's phone is "the best smartphone period". Plus I havenot seen GSII commercials a lot. Even I myself think GSII runs circles around pre-3. I love the WebOS, man please place a hardware like GSII on it.
    Other than the optional stylus, what I find useful about the Galaxy S II would be DNLA, but that could be added to webOS if HP wanted to do it. But, I'm not in the market for a 4"+ slab phone, so I wouldn't bother looking at the Samsung phone even if it were available in the US (it won't be until 2011Q3, which is why you haven't seen any commercials). If HP can deliver a well made phone that operates smoothly, I think they can increase sales and attract more developers to the platform. It doesn't have to be #1 in every spec imaginable to do that since most buyers aren't spec-heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I don't know...I think half of what makes the Galaxy S 2 special is the software it runs and the support it enjoys.
    So saw this on engadget, says that webOS has even less developers interested than RIM and windows. Only thing that scored less than webOS was meego and Symbian.
    Windows Phone and BlackBerry struggle to attract developer attention -- Engadget
    Less competition for me!
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    Less competition for me!
    If possible please develop a netflix app, so I can stream movies on my device.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    Less competition for me!
    Less customers for you too, though.
    If possible please develop a netflix app, so I can stream movies on my device.
    The new Palm dev relations VP came from Lucas's co and didn't Katzenberg from Spielberg's film co and formerly from Disney speak at the Feb event?

If HP is creating a movie store, they don't need to make the profit margins that Netflix makes as this is not their sole business, so presumably they can get newer material from the studios and pay the studios more for the rights.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast