Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Jay M Silverman

Hi all,

RE : Calendar app for the webOS platform.

From all that I have read about webOS as a faithful palm devotee, I have read many times, that many of the readers of this forum and webOS users feel the calender offered by Palm is lacking in many features.

I currently am using a Palm Centro which uses Palm OS, I am retiring my phone as soon as HP/Palm comes out with the Pre 3, (I have held onto the Centro due to my 2 year contract, which has since ended last October).

Therefore, I am still lucky enough to be able to use DateBK 6.0 from Pimlico, (if I am not mistaken is a one person firm). I have been using a number of different software builds of this app for approximately a decade. It has many, many features such as multiple alarms, alarms that can be set for once a year or once a day etc.

For those of you who are newer to Palm than I am, dateBK was at one time was a preloaded app when you bought a Treo.

The owner of Pimlico has ported the software to Android, but doesn't seem to want to do so for webOS, (& WebOS apparently doesn't have much in they way of decent selection for calendar software).

I informed Pimlico that HP would help port the software which should take a day or so and they would likely pay for the porting...however the owner isn't interested and wouldn't tell me why. (WebOS has been designed to allow porting of almost every other platform to webOS in a matter of hours or days).

Before the buyout of Palm by HP was announced he told me in an email, that he was sure that Palm would be sold for "pocket change" for the remaining "good will" of the name of Palm...In that case I would love to have the kind of pocket change that HP has since $1.2 Billion is far from pocket change, even for someone as wealthy as Bill gates, (LOL). When I emailed him back after the merger was announced and again after the merger was completed, he refused to answer my emails...(not a good sign he is interested in writing for webOS & not a good way to run a business).

A number of us at Precentral.net have discussed this back and forth, a few of us, (including me), have even offered to pledge $100 each for Pimlico to port dateBK & then Phone Diva had a brilliant idea, (one of her many GREAT ideas), to have an app written that offers as many of the features of dateBK as possible.

This takes me to why I am posting here.

Here is a link to their page so you can get an idea of what we are looking for:

Pimlico Software home page

Can you any of you give us an idea of how much something like this would cost, or perhaps this is something one of you would want to develop for sale in the Palm App Store or here on this site in the Home Brew section.

A number of us who are faithful members of the webOS community are interested in this undertaking.

Therefore this undertaking should be advantageous to some or one of you out there. This may also be an app you may wish to develop & want HP to include in future models of their products.

I have cut and pasted a number of the features of dateBK:

Features displays that are essentially identical to Windows Desktop Version including Day, Day+, Week, Month, Month+ and List Views

Reads icons, custom filters and preference files from desktop version

Quick entry templates facilitate insertion of frequently used events

Handles floating events and floating reminders Supports

Timezones including separate Timezones for start/end of events

Uses the native calendar database for assured compatibility Supports linking of events to contacts with quick access

Supports Voice Entry (Just speak "7pm next Monday, dinner with Harry" and the event "Dinner with Harry" will be scheduled at 7pm on the next Monday.

Day View automatically expands to accommodate events outside of normal hours Extensive preferences to control what icons are displayed, what fonts are used Dynamic resizing of font display with up/down strokes left/right strokes switch between views or move to previous/next periods

Find function finds all events that match on text string, status, icon, date range etc. Select which calendars are to be included in the display

List of upcoming alarms shows all future alarms that are scheduled Supports grouping of items Displays sorted list of all currently used locations for quicker selection of a location Allows full modification of repeat specification (frequency, end date etc.).

Popup commands to handle common tasks such as Advance 1 Day, Find all items in same group, save as Template, Go To Display/Due Date, toggle completion/cancellation

Display Details screen is driven by screen template using same command set as Desktop version (power users can pick precisely which fonts/sizes and which fields to display in that view).

Thank you and take care,

Jay M Silverman
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think you are seriously underestimating how long it would take. If I were the developer, I would not listen to anything you had to say after this statement. The guy developed Datebook over years. I think it would take a single programmer a month or two to port the app. You just don't hook into the user interface of a different OS that easily.

Also, I'm trying to understand why one would be willing to hang on to a Centro for almost a year after upgrade eligibility (by the time the Pre 3 arrives) yet be willing to pony up $100 for a calendar app.
    Hi,

1. I have no idea how long it would take to write the program or to port it. I'm not a programmer and I frequently have mentioned in my many posts when I am over my head in techno babble...However, I have read more than a small number of complaints about the lack of a decent calender app..so there is a market for it.

Additionally, if we want to wait, Agendus which was the other "big" calender app, when I first got my Treo 300, was purchased last year my Splashdata. They had a web page up, (which I posted about a year ago, I would think), that they would port it to webOS.

When I contacted them in the last few weeks, they told me they are going to port Agendus to all platforms, however they couldn't guess as to a time frame. My guess is they are waiting to see how hard HP pushes their smartphone & webOS lines...

2. As far as keeping my Centro until the Pre 3 comes out. My contracted ended before the Pre 2 was rolled out.....that meant I would be buying the Pre or Pre Plus which design was almost as old as the Centro that I have.

The Pre 2 got only so-so reviews and comments in these forum....it was apparent that Palm designed the Pre 2 while they were on their last financial gasps...

Palm had already put itself up for sale and HP purchased it. HP has serious $, so I knew the Pre 2 wasn't going to be the last smartphone HP makes & sells...so I decided to wait and get a more current phone...

Additionally, I don't know that I want to even stay with V b/c they make a major effort to disable so many functions of the smartphones they sell.

I had been with Sprint for years, I changed to V b/c my g/f now my Fiancée Amy has only a cell and no land line...at the time it was free for me to call her from my land line, (& it's still free), however V didn't start allowing you 10 numbers outside of V to call without a surcharge, (that happened months into my 2 year contract with V). Amy's phone bills where huge from calling me, (she lives in Orlando and I live approx 45 miles away from her). Therefore I went on her bill so it would be free for us to call each other....

Since all of the providers NOW have some kind of no surcharge plans to call other cell phones, I can change to who ever carries the Pre 3.

2 side issues:

A. V has also decided to dump it's one year plans, which stinks b/c your then stuck with an old phone in a short period of time. If the other providers follow suit, I will buy my Pre 3 from best Buy, since I learned from these forums has a trade up program, I don't want to be stuck with an old phone again.

b. For the reason that V is dumping it's 1 year plan is also why I don't want the merger between T-M & AT&T to go thru...in Canada where it is almost the same situation 2 o3 large cell providers and 2 small ones...one large firm gobbled up one small one...not just did rates go up, now Roger's is starting to offer 3 year plans on smartphones.

I'm not adverse to paying for the phone outright and not having to be locked into any contract over a year. When I 1st got my Treo 300, you bought the phone outright and then took a contract, they didn't subsidize the price at all...if the merger goes thru and they start forcing 3 year plans at people, there will be a lot of very unhappy people out there!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Jay you dont have webOS if I am right, you need to look at ubercalendar, fills a lot of void.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Hi I'm using dateBK 6 right now and love it! take care, Jay
    We're developing a suite a apps to replace the on board and have been considering a calendar.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
    Porting an app in "a few days" is only possible for iPhone games, and some simple web apps.

An app like DateBk5 takes months of work and tens of thousands of dollars of programmer time to re-write for webOS.

Also. webOS has security restrictions, which PalmOS does not. Third-party apps can only read the calendars they create.

Yes, HP/Palm should allow users to give permissions to apps - but until they do, homebrew is the only route. And I don't see someone doing all the work you need for free. Sorry.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by merphie View Post
    We're developing a suite a apps to replace the on board and have been considering a calendar.
    I'm so very glad to hear this....the website for dateBK lists the very many things it does....from what I gather, so may people would be pleased to see your firm offer a calender::.

Take care, Jay
    Thank you. Right now, we need a list of features to make a calendar.

All of our apps get around the WebOs restriction and can share information. DigiTask, DigiNotes, and DigiJournal.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I'm so very glad to hear this....the website for dateBK lists the very many things it does....from what I gather, so may people would be pleased to see your firm offer a calender::.

Take care, Jay
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
  9.    #9  
    Thank you. Right now, we need a list of features to make a calendar.

All of our apps get around the WebOs restriction and can share information. DigiTask, DigiNotes, and DigiJournal.
    These are features that are listed from dateBK's website:

I have cut and pasted a number of the features of dateBK:

Features displays that are essentially identical to Windows Desktop Version including Day, Day+, Week, Month, Month+ and List Views

Reads icons, custom filters and preference files from desktop version

Quick entry templates facilitate insertion of frequently used events

Handles floating events and floating reminders Supports

Timezones including separate Timezones for start/end of events

Uses the native calendar database for assured compatibility Supports linking of events to contacts with quick access

Supports Voice Entry (Just speak "7pm next Monday, dinner with Harry" and the event "Dinner with Harry" will be scheduled at 7pm on the next Monday.

Day View automatically expands to accommodate events outside of normal hours Extensive preferences to control what icons are displayed, what fonts are used Dynamic resizing of font display with up/down strokes left/right strokes switch between views or move to previous/next periods

Find function finds all events that match on text string, status, icon, date range etc. Select which calendars are to be included in the display

List of upcoming alarms shows all future alarms that are scheduled Supports grouping of items Displays sorted list of all currently used locations for quicker selection of a location Allows full modification of repeat specification (frequency, end date etc.).

Popup commands to handle common tasks such as Advance 1 Day, Find all items in same group, save as Template, Go To Display/Due Date, toggle completion/cancellation

Display Details screen is driven by screen template using same command set as Desktop version (power users can pick precisely which fonts/sizes and which fields to display in that view).

Take care,

Jay
    While I aplaud the idea of calendar alternatives, there is only one feature that I find acutely lacking - meeting invite. I really need that one feature. Otherwise, the functionality seems fine. I hope anybody out there planning a calendar app can implement this feature. I will buy the first calendar that has it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    And I don't see someone doing all the work you need for free. Sorry.
    Dear Doug Reader,

To save you the effort of haing to go back to the top and read the entire thread,

I titled this thread as follows:

I'm willing to PAY to have a dateBK calender type app created for webOS, any takers?

I and others on this site are willing to PAY TO PORT dateBK or for that matter another app that world similarly!

NOWHERE DID I EVER SAY I WOULD EXPECT IT TO BE DONE FOR FREE!

I was self employed for 25 years, you wouldn't believe the thinks people would ask you to do for free. I NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING FOR FREE FOR JUST THAT REASON!

Take care,

Jay
  12.    #12  
    Hi all,

I think I finally got the reason why owner of dateBK/Pimlico software is so angry and adamant that he won't write for webOS.

Apparently he adapted dateBK for the Folio, which took him 4 months which if course was a waste of his time since it was canceled:

"I already wasted 4 months of my life writing software for
    Palm's Folio which they trashed 10 days before it was going to launch, and
    that is the last time I'm writing software for something in anticipation of
    it being successful. At this point, I intend to wait UNTIL it is a success".

I don't blame him, in his place I would also have felt burned.

However, I'm glad I have pursued the issue, b/c we may have gotten other firms interested and his attitude has soften albeit slightly. Sadly, the absence of his software is hurting not just webOS but his own hirm as well.

(Althought when I first emailed him before HP was even mentioned in the Palm purchase of Palm he was sure Palm would be gone and he would NEVER write for them again, so purhaps this is a little movement in that area).

There also is the issue that Palm is not the same company it was then, after all there really isn't a Palm any more and Ruby wasn't at Palm or HP at the time, (but since I have a bit of a temper myself I do have to understand how he feels).

The irony is that Palm was once again ahead of itself & the public with the folio & IMO they shoudl have launched it...but that is water long under the bridge.

Take care all,

Jay
    OK, there is definately some features. haha. I definately agree with the meeting invitees.

The voice notes wouldn't be available till WebOS 2.X.

I will look into doing this one. We're also trying to get some others done before many new projects are done. We have a Outlook Synchronization app, DigiSync, in BETA right now and need testers.

I don't understand the floating events/reminders
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    yea, sometimes I feel if Palm had just placed a webkit browser in palm OS, till webOS picked up steam, we might have fared better.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Ubercalendar fills many of the calendar enhanacements that I was using with Datebk6 such as icons, templates and adding a new event that looks like an existing event.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    The start is what should the app store? Going off Outlook this includes

subject, start date/time, end date/time, location (as free entry text), notes, reminder, all day indicator, attendees, recurrence, category, status, importance
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Dear Doug Reader,

To save you the effort of haing to go back to the top and read the entire thread,

I titled this thread as follows:

I'm willing to PAY to have a dateBK calender type app created for webOS, any takers?

I and others on this site are willing to PAY TO PORT dateBK or for that matter another app that world similarly!

NOWHERE DID I EVER SAY I WOULD EXPECT IT TO BE DONE FOR FREE!

I was self employed for 25 years, you wouldn't believe the thinks people would ask you to do for free. I NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING FOR FREE FOR JUST THAT REASON!
    Not really interested in a bounty. All we would ask is help us make it a good app. Then promote it!
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I had an email conversation about a year ago with the DateBk developer and he gave me several reasons why he has no plans to port it to WebOS, some reasons have already been mentioned here. The major reasons are that the WebOS calendar is read-only, the APIs to manipulate calendar data are severely lacking compared to Palm OS (these reasons make porting TECHNICALLY impossible), and he sees no future for the Palm platform (aka WebOS) given the market in-roads made by Android and other platforms.

I used to use DateBk with Classic until I read that WebOS v2 would no longer support the APIs used by Classic (although I also read someone who migrated to v2 is indeed able to use Classic), and so have given up on Classic and started using UberCalendar and TealAuto for WebOS, the 2 main apps I use under Classic. Neither is as nice as the Classic equivalents, but at least I can still keep all my important data at my fingertips on my phone. I expect some day I will abandon Palm hardware, but I'm vested in Palm for many years and because the support community is absolutely beyond compare, I stick with it. Thorne
  19.    #19  
    Not really interested in a bounty. All we would ask is help us make it a good app. Then promote it!
    Dear Merphie,

You got it!

Take care,

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I had an email conversation about a year ago with the DateBk developer and he gave me several reasons why he has no plans to port it to WebOS, some reasons have already been mentioned here. The major reasons are that the WebOS calendar is read-only, the APIs to manipulate calendar data are severely lacking compared to Palm OS (these reasons make porting TECHNICALLY impossible), and he sees no future for the Palm platform (aka WebOS) given the market in-roads made by Android and other platforms.

I used to use DateBk with Classic until I read that WebOS v2 would no longer support the APIs used by Classic (although I also read someone who migrated to v2 is indeed able to use Classic), and so have given up on Classic and started using UberCalendar and TealAuto for WebOS, the 2 main apps I use under Classic. Neither is as nice as the Classic equivalents, but at least I can still keep all my important data at my fingertips on my phone. I expect some day I will abandon Palm hardware, but I'm vested in Palm for many years and because the support community is absolutely beyond compare, I stick with it. Thorne
    Hi, while I have been using Palm's for just under 10 years you lost me just after you wrote the following:

..." had an email conversation about a year ago..........

I think without the techno babble, (my degree is on Horticulture if you have questions about Interior Landscaping/Plantscaping I'm your guy)...but I am lost as to what the rest of your comment means...I'm guessing that it means it isn't compatible...

Take care,

Jay
    Jay,

He is saying that an application can't communicate with WebOS's calendar system. You could say it would be like having a conversation in English without nouns.

However, the only draw back I am aware of is that an app can't access other calendars.

So if I have an app called "mycalendar". I could read/update all the events in my calendar. In WebOs, if you also had Google Calendar synchronized then mycalendar can't even see those events.

Does that make sense?

It's a small drawback but I think Palm is changing this in WebOS 2.X

I've started working on a calendar app. When I get the basics down I will put it in the BETA channel.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast