Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    DummyMaker 1.0.5

Available in the homebrew repository

DummyMaker is an on-device alternative to ipk-fetcher. Simply enter the id of a restricted app, click make, and then update to the full version.
    DummyMaker will not allow you to download paid apps. If you do not have access to the paid catalog, you should make your frustration known to @palm.

Requirements:

• webos 2.0 or higher

Installation:

Instructions:

1. Find an application that you can't install and note its App ID (You can get this from Preware)
    2. Enter the App ID into DummyMaker
    3. Tap Make
    4. When the installed notification appears, you can move to Launch Update
    5. Wait for the list to populate, then tap the Install Updates button
    6. You will now have full versions of the applications

Thanks to Blacklight, JayCanuck and webosinternals for their contributions, ideas and suggestions, but this app is in no way sponsored endorsed or released by them.

Feel free to leave feedback here or on twitter @mgschu #dummymaker
    Last edited by michael.schumacker; 04/20/2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: released to feed
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Some people will love this!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Fortunately this won't work for paid apps, so there should be no fear from devs about their apps being "stolen" or "pirated". Excellent work tho!! I might as well recover my epocrates app with this
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 04/18/2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    This is also useful for people with meta-doctored 2.1 devices trying to download 2.0 only apps such as Rainy or Record It. Thanks!
    Thanks! Now I just have to find some Apps ^^

What do you think is the easiest way to find the Apps?
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 04/19/2011 at 02:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Slightly off topic, but where did you get the Tesco Clubcard app from? Did you make it yourself (by scanning your Clubcard)?
    Nice alternative! Especially if you already know the ID and for "on-the-go" installations.

Good to know that there are still more and more people unsatisfied with the restrictions. (I mean, look at the date of the IPK Fetcher thread... enough said). Good job.
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Thanks! Now I just have to find some Apps ^^

What do you think is the easiest way to find the Apps?
    Use Preware and go as far down as an individual application's page. Scroll down for the ID.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where did you get the Tesco Clubcard app from? Did you make it yourself (by scanning your Clubcard)?
    That's a non-runner. Self service tills don't play nicely with barcodeonaphone.

Did I hear a com.epocrates.epocrates from somewhere?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    Nice alternative! Especially if you already know the ID and for "on-the-go" installations.

Good to know that there are still more and more people unsatisfied with the restrictions. (I mean, look at the date of the IPK Fetcher thread... enough said). Good job.
    I'm sure we'd both rather not have to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.schumacker View Post
    I'm sure we'd both rather not have to do it.
    Pff.. tell me about it
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    To OP:

If Skype is available only on Verizon and it's free in their version of the App Catalog, does this allow others to DL it? This might be a problem for the folks at HP/Palm.
    Did I hear a com.epocrates.epocrates from somewhere?
    Yep, got it. Too bad it will only work till june I think (they stopped offering the download on february).

Now, HP says they're trying to bring back epocrates with us.... only time will tell
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    To OP:

If Skype is available only on Verizon and it's free in their version of the App Catalog, does this allow others to DL it? This might be a problem for the folks at HP/Palm.
    Firstly, Skype is a carrier app, installed from the webOS Doctor or OTA update, it is not in the App catalog.

Secondly, Skype on webOS is not a VoIP app - it makes calls through the Verizon cellular network, so is useless if you're not on Verizon.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Firstly, Skype is a carrier app, installed from the webOS Doctor or OTA update, it is not in the App catalog.

Secondly, Skype on webOS is not a VoIP app - it makes calls through the Verizon cellular network, so is useless if you're not on Verizon.

-- Rod
    I meant Skype as an example. Bad choice by me. But remember when there was a SFR or Verizon HotSpot app that people couldn't download unless you were on SFR or Verizon respectively. Could it be possible to DL some of these apps using DummyMaker and then reverse engineer it to make it work on Sprint/AT&T/etc networks.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    I meant Skype as an example. Bad choice by me. But remember when there was a SFR or Verizon HotSpot app that people couldn't download unless you were on SFR or Verizon respectively. Could it be possible to DL some of these apps using DummyMaker and then reverse engineer it to make it work on Sprint/AT&T/etc networks.
    Does freeTether not work for those networks? You could try it, just look up the App ID.
    Use Preware and go as far down as an individual application's page. Scroll down for the ID.
    Thanks, didn't think of that. Too bad the palm-feed causes problems in Preware (it stays on "Done!" and doesn't do anything).
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Thanks, didn't think of that. Too bad the palm-feed causes problems in Preware (it stays on "Done!" and doesn't do anything).
    Works fine here. Post Lumberjack logs in the official Preware thread.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I used this to install one paid app, Pictureit by Codinary, that I owned but that has been unavailable in the catalog for some time. I didn't realize it was unavailable until after metadoctoring to 2.1.0 on my Sprint Pre. I followed the simple procedure and everything worked as described since it was in my Palm Profile.

I had heard that the catalog kept a copy of every paid app forever for anyone who bought it to be able to get it back. Apparently that copy is available if you have it to update, but not if you need to reinstall it with the other apps in your Palm Profile. Since the policy of maintaining a copy of paid apps applies primarily to abandoned apps, I cannot imagine under what circumstances I would be updating an existing copy. The only situation in which I would access their stored copy is if mine got deleted, which is exactly the situation in which one cannot access it. Brilliant!

So thank you for this clever workaround, it now solves at least two app catalog blunders.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  19.    #19  
    Updated to 1.0.4 and released to the homebrew feed.

Changelog:
    • Removed homebew-jsjsjs-$service$ $dependency$ $and$ $replaced$ $with$ $native$-$jail$ $permissions$
    • Added Metrix
    • Updated help file
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Works fine here. Post Lumberjack logs in the official Preware thread.

-- Rod
    We've been there already, Rod Just a few "infoLoad#parse"-Errors, that's all. I should probably read the Preware-Thread to check if there was any news on that.

Like always, I greatly appreciate your encouragement in other threads apart from those of webos-internals
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast