1.    #1  
    One of the most common set of patches to webOS 1.X were modifications to the launcher that allowed people to change fonts, icon size and layout, multiple pages, wave launcher and quick launch mods, etc.

A lot of that went away with webOS 2.X because the launcher is now compiled.

Back in the palmOS days the OS architecture was designed to allow launcher replacements. I used lots of different launcher programs including Launcher X, MegaLauncher, Silver Screen, and others. I settled on ZLauncher. They added things like tabs, hidden apps, file management, short cuts, etc.

So, my request is that an app be built that replaces the launcher. We know that the app DB can be accessed because preware and other app catalog apps do it. Why not make an app that does all of the launcher things that we want done, with all the desired customization we want? Heck, we could even add folders. We could give it easy access by placing it in the quick launcher area. Perhaps a patch could be made to trigger our launcher instead of the default one on a swipe up.

What do you think? Doable, worth the effort? More important, anybody see enough interest to actually make the thing?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    have you looked at the app called "multiple app launcher" ?
  3.    #3  
    have you looked at the app called "multiple app launcher" ?
    Thanks for the pointer, as a proof of concept, that does a lot of what would be needed to make this work. It is a bit specialized though. As far I can read it just launches multiple apps at once, that could be a great feature in a more generalized launcher. And it shows that an app can access the App DB and launch other apps. Add to that different methods for laying out apps, organizing apps, accessing files, etc. and I think we are on the right track.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Apps in the catalog cannot access the list of apps on the device. Based upon the screenshots, it looks like MAL searches the Palm and homebrew feeds for a list of all available apps and allows the user to select the ones they want to use.

However a homebrew app could act as a launcher replacement; however it will never come up as quickly as the native launcher. For me, that would be a deal breaker. I need my launcher to come up instantaneously. But I guess you could always leave the launcher app open and thus it would come up instantaneously when tapping the icon.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  5.    #5  
    For the homebrew crowd, is there any indication in the code archatecture that the existing webOS 2.x launcher can be swapped out like it could in the PalmOS days?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I could live with a launcher that was as slow as the launcher on the Pre-, if I could get 4 icons across.

If someone was really ambitious it could be written with the PDK and be as fast as the built-in launcher. I don't think there is any reason in principle it couldn't work. "Just" a question of time and effort.
    I think the launcher could be replaced by another binary launcher, but someone would have to want to/know how to write it.

The main reason the launcher became unpatchable is because Palm scrapped the scripted launcher for a binary one so the UI would be quicker. A new one would have to be written from the ground up. It's a much bigger undertaking than before.

Count me as someone who would readily donate to such a project. The most important feature for me (even more than icon density/resolution) is a default page. I really miss that.