Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    [FrontPage] Preview: webOS 3.0 Beta 1 emulator leak [Exclusive]

We got our first glimpse at webOS 3.0 for the TouchPad back in February at Think Beyond, and new items have been trickling out ever since. Well, dear PreCentral reader, now it's time for the flood.
    Preview: webOS 3.0 Beta 1 emulator leak [Exclusive] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Just call me Berd.
    Well... HP is going to be ready to flip **** when they see this. If they threatened to terminate the Early Access program over a mere virtual keyboard leak, I can only imagine how deadly this can be to developers.

I guess it was only a matter of time.

Now it's time to view all the comments about how immoral it is for PreCentral to do this...

*grabs popcorn*

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Please share the popcorn

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Its a catch 22. We are happy to know whats probably coming, but we equally hate to see things like this leaked by folks signing an NDA.

Unless HP has something to do with this leak, I dont think their response will be kind.

Do/have these type of leaks take place with Apple, RIM, Google, etc?
    I really don't get this site... If I post pics from the emulator they get deleted because of the NDA... When they do it .. Its news...

Ahhh hypocrisy at its best!

For Beta 1, I'm pretty happy with what I saw. Can't wait for TouchPad to release(felt this way b4 the leak), saving my pennies.
    I am disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Its a catch 22. We are happy to know whats probably coming, but we equally hate to see things like this leaked by folks signing an NDA.

Unless HP has something to do with this leak, I dont think their response will be kind.

Do/have these type of leaks take place with Apple, RIM, Google, etc?
    Its obvious that derek signed up and "leaked" the materials .. How you ask?.. Where is this supposed leaked sdk and here's a snippet from the article

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Kessler
    It's been a few weeks since*HP released the webOS 3.0 SDK*into the Early Access Program. In the intervening weeks countless developers have applied for admission, and while we don't know what the admission process is, we imagine a large number got in. Thus, it should come as no surprise that an awesome (and anonymous) tipster has leaked the SDK.*
    Who else would derrick call awesome.. And... He stated that basically anyone that applied got in.. Including himself

yeah, this was very disappointing to see
  10. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    has anyone actually seen this link? Is there something to search on google that will bring it up?
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    has anyone actually seen this link? Is there something to search on google that will bring it up?
    What the sdk "leak" link? Its fictitious

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Its obvious that derek signed up and "leaked" the materials .. How you ask?.. Where is this supposed leaked sdk and here's a snippet from the article

Who else would derrick call awesome.. And... He stated that basically anyone that applied got in.. Including himself

While it is very possible, I doubt Derek signed up for early beta. If he did, it would be extremely reckless to do this article. Even if an anonymous tipster leaked it, If Derek was personally under NDA by signing up for early access, he wouldn't have written this article.

It wouldn't take much for HP to verify if the author of an article like this is under NDA, so that's why I doubt Derek signed up for the program.
    Last edited by Smartfah; 04/12/2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Typo
    The public webOS 2.1 SDK has an EULA. That EULA states that by installing and using the SDK, you agree to the SDK license and all updates to that license on the Palm developer site. One may assume that the leaked SDK has a similar EULA that you must click through to install it (I cannot state whether it actually does or not, since that information itself would be under the NDA).

The license on the Palm developer site for NDA material likely says that you need to agree to the NDA to use that material (I cannot state whether it actually does or not, since that information itself would be under the NDA).

Hence, by installing the leaked SDK, one explicitly agrees to the license on the Palm developer site, and if that license requires you to agree to an NDA before using the SDK, then you have explicitly agreed to the NDA, and are forbidden from publishing material obtained under that NDA.

An interesting conundrum for the PreCentral editors ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/12/2011 at 09:44 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Doesn't the conversation in the Messaging app in the screenies show as being between Derek and someone else?
    Anonymous tipster, my rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Hence, by installing the leaked SDK, one explicitly agrees to the license on the Palm developer site, and if that license requires you to agree to an NDA before using the SDK, then you have explicitly agreed to the NDA, and are forbidden from publishing material obtained under that NDA.

-- Rod
    Rod you are always so diplomatic about this stuff. I have to applaud you. To bad not more people take the same approach as you. Just keep doing what you and webos-internals are doing and hopefully once WebOS gets popular the new HomeBrewer and users will follow the ethical ground work you have been laying for the past 2 years.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Doesn't the conversation in the Messaging app in the screenies show as being between Derek and someone else?
    Anonymous tipster, my rear.
    Highly doubt it. Derek is talking to himself in those screenshots.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod

An interesting conundrum indeed. I would imagine the folks at Palm/HP aren't too pleased about this.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Didn't reveal enough new goodies (Nothing in the [exclusive!] really was news to me, honestly) to warrant the possibility of HP and Palm getting ****ed off and hurting developer access to the 3.0 SDK.
    It was a good writeup, but the video and whole admitting you're breaking the NDA wasn't really necessary.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    HP gets "angry" at VK leak in 2.x .. Threatens slowdown of accepting new early access.. Does nothing..
    BB rips off their IP.. They smile and did nothing...

PC leaks webos 3.x beta video and screen captures..

Hmm how many times can you poke a sleeping giant in th eye before he swallows someone whole??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast