Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    HP gets "angry" at VK leak in 2.x .. Threatens slowdown of accepting new early access.. Does nothing..
    BB rips off their IP.. They smile and did nothing...

PC leaks webos 3.x beta video and screen captures..

Hmm how many times can you poke a sleeping giant in th eye before he swallows someone whole??

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'd much rather HP go after RIM. To flatout duplicate various webOS concepts into the playbook is more concerning to me than a leaked sdk.

Many end-users will never see, nor have a clue what the heck an sdk is, but MILLIONS will most likely see webOS like concepts working on the playbook before the touchpad, Pre 3 or Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I'd much rather HP go after RIM. To flatout duplicate various webOS concepts into the playbook is more concerning to me than a leaked sdk.

Many end-users will never see, nor have a clue what the heck an sdk is, but MILLIONS will most likely see webOS like concepts working on the playbook before the touchpad, Pre 3 or Veer.
    well said.
    I think HP is waiting for the right time to strike RIM about the PlayBook. It would be wise of HP to let RIM waste all their resources on creating this whole OS. Then, when they become a contender (say... a few months after they release the PlayBook), they slap RIM with a massive lawsuit. Assuming that they win, HP will have to force RIM to basically rewrite the OS.

Do you understand how big of a delay that will cause RIM? Also, bad publicity.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    call me crazy, call me wacky, but i suspect HP may have given the green light to precentral in one way or another.

If HP provided the "leaked" SDK to pc, they get the peace of mind knowing that the SDK wouldnt be published publicly for download, and at the same time, they get a little publicity. the touchpad isnt secret anymore, and neither is webOS 3.0. HP/palm doesnt really risk that much by letting their biggest fansite break some news when the device is set to be released in a few months anyway.

I could be wrong here, but the metaphorical "numbers" dont add up IMO.

Having said that, breaking an NDA isnt wise no matter who breaks it. So if this is indeed a legitimate leak, shame on whoever leaked it.
    As a studying dev in the early access program, I will be upset if i loose access to the program. Because of it, i not only have access to knowing where the platform is going, new tools fo4r apps ECT, but i have the ability to give early feedback on that. I have a concise review of the current emulator and what features it needs. It is for these reasons that make the ease of early access so great. Studying devs can learn more, hardcore devs make apps before release, and all of us should be giving feedback. If we loose this and access is limited to only very selec5 few, that means less feedback, less apps, and less dev interest. I in no way blame precentral either. Anyone who does, doesn't understand the responsibility of news writers... The dev who broke the NDA is to blame, and while i strongly wish i could discus some of the things in this emulator on here, i don't. I know how much this program means, and if i wasn't in it, id probably not have any dev interest or interest at all in webos. I know we all want to know stuff. I was one of you, then i decided to start studying development, and joined the early access. I have yet to start an app, but have big plans and not enough time. Summer is on its way and i hope i am still a member when the schoolyear is over. 4 months i bet i have some nice apps out in August if I'm in it still....
    to publish or not to publish, a violation of the NDA or not. As a CONSUMER, I saw nothing in that article that HP itself hasn't already shown off or talked about, and nothing that I see competitors will use to their advantage. It looks like plain ole webOS that we are all familiar with, minus the big name apps, carriers, and release dates. Sure there maybe some new and welcomed features, but nothing groundbreaking was released.

honestly, if anyone can get early
    access, shouldn't we assume that the competition has already signed up and has access to the sdk?

I agree, a rule is a rule, and if the NDA is a legally binding contract, then the leaker should get in trouble...but for the avg consumer like myself who visits precentral for news, this is what we want. And this is what precentral should be about. They should have no loyalty to palm or hp, but rather to their consumers. So kudos to derek kessler and the rest of the precentral crew for doing their jobs. Fact is, palm and webos would not still be here if it wasn't for precentral, and webOSinternals and the homebrew community would not have a gateway to the average consumer without precentral. They depend on each other. Hp should not worry about this and rather should just get their damn
    products out there already.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    webOSinternals and the homebrew community would not have a gateway to the average consumer without precentral
    Whilst PreCentral and WebOS Internals do have a great relationship (as we do with all the webOS-related sites), that statement is a bit over the top.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Well... HP is going to be ready to flip **** when they see this. If they threatened to terminate the Early Access program over a mere virtual keyboard leak, I can only imagine how deadly this can be to developers.

I guess it was only a matter of time.

Now it's time to view all the comments about how immoral it is for PreCentral to do this...

*grabs popcorn*
    Lmao!!!
    I'm not sure why P|C thought this was necessary. They've done this before and taken the stance of journalism that is in the best interest of the public, but at the same time as bloggers writing to a primary audience, they have an obligation to uphold ethical standards of doing the right thing. And this clearly is not the right thing for the webOS community.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    to publish or not to publish, a violation of the NDA or not. As a CONSUMER, I saw nothing in that article that HP itself hasn't already shown off or talked about, and nothing that I see competitors will use to their advantage. It looks like plain ole webOS that we are all familiar with, minus the big name apps, carriers, and release dates. Sure there maybe some new and welcomed features, but nothing groundbreaking was released.

honestly, if anyone can get early
    access, shouldn't we assume that the competition has already signed up and has access to the sdk?

I agree, a rule is a rule, and if the NDA is a legally binding contract, then the leaker should get in trouble...but for the avg consumer like myself who visits precentral for news, this is what we want. And this is what precentral should be about. They should have no loyalty to palm or hp, but rather to their consumers. So kudos to derek kessler and the rest of the precentral crew for doing their jobs. Fact is, palm and webos would not still be here if it wasn't for precentral, and webOSinternals and the homebrew community would not have a gateway to the average consumer without precentral. They depend on each other. Hp should not worry about this and rather should just get their damn
    products out there already.
    In response to your post may I refer you to an earlier post of mine

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I really don't get this site... If I post pics from the emulator they get deleted because of the NDA... When they do it .. Its news...

Ahhh hypocrisy at its best!

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    call me crazy, call me wacky, but i suspect HP may have given the green light to precentral in one way or another.

If HP provided the "leaked" SDK to pc, they get the peace of mind knowing that the SDK wouldnt be published publicly for download, and at the same time, they get a little publicity. the touchpad isnt secret anymore, and neither is webOS 3.0. HP/palm doesnt really risk that much by letting their biggest fansite break some news when the device is set to be released in a few months anyway.

I could be wrong here, but the metaphorical "numbers" dont add up IMO.

Having said that, breaking an NDA isnt wise no matter who breaks it. So if this is indeed a legitimate leak, shame on whoever leaked it.

I am starting to agree with you on this. Who else could this "awesome (and anonymous) tipster" be that Derek referred to. I do think it is a controlled leak. When you read the post & look at the video, it is more of a preview than a "leak".

If this is not a controlled leak, then it looks like Precentral just told HP we don't give a crap about your NDA, and we'll make a 20 min video & write a 5,800+ word preview of webOS 3.0. Since I don't think Precentral would blatantly ignore an NDA by doing such an in-depth preview, I'm going to say that this was more than likely a controlled leak & HP is that "awesome (an anonymous) tipster".
    I have to agree about breaking a NDA is a bad thing.But why are people jumping to conclusions?! We don't know what hp will say or do,so why can't we wait and see and not assume the worst?

As a supporter of WebOS I can say that although not a good thing if the nda was broken.I must admit,if I didn't get news like this if any and screenshots I would not have to much hope left.This leak/article has made me feel excited again about WebOS's future.

On the note of deveopers.Answer this question.Wil HPalm make it harder for
    Devs it so desperately needs?!! Making it harder to get into the early access will not only make devs have to wait for a sdk and possibly loose business,money,etc but it will push future potenial devs away because they will feel like it to hard to get into.I'm not trying make an excuse for anybody but it's just a question.I just hope we an be patient,calm down and see what appens before we go throwing rocks at precentral and derek.To whom ever said P|C should be shut down should be banned from this site.They obvisiouly don't see the importance of a site like P|C.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I'm not sure why P|C thought this was necessary. They've done this before and taken the stance of journalism that is in the best interest of the public, but at the same time as bloggers writing to a primary audience, they have an obligation to uphold ethical standards of doing the right thing. And this clearly is not the right thing for the webOS community.
    in my post little above this one I stated how important early access is to devs and my concern for no early access program and even though it was precentral who wrote it up, I do not put any blame on them. Journalism is about exciting the reader, and getting a good story. Ethics play an important role, but usually refer to the direct actions of the writers, not what's given. If I gave them this leak it would be me at fault but as journalists, can they really turn down juice to a great article that does not have them crossing lines to get it? This is how news works. Do you think half the news we get is Greeley given? A good journalist is similar to a good reporter. They know the lines and they did not cross them. Now if I had became a precentral writer, (which I would like someday, I promise id actually spell check if I did ) and I leaked the SDK, that would be unethical. I signed an NDA with palm and thus would be going against it by publishing about it. Furthermore, I am trying to get a job at best buy. If I leaked upcoming webos products if I found out of any, id be doing the same. Now if someone leaked to a writer it is simply a lead on a story. I am not condoning precentral for this arrival, just saying as journalists, and as someone who likes to write and would like to write for someone on the side someday, I know this is how news works.
    Last edited by rexalbel; 04/13/2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    An interesting conundrum indeed. I would imagine the folks at Palm/HP aren't too pleased about this.
    I'm guessing this "leak" to P|C was intentional for the purpose of generating interest in webOS 3.x and the future tablets.
    All I'm saying here is this GREAT article has caused more trouble than its information is worth.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    All I'm saying here is this GREAT article has caused more trouble than its information is worth.

How so? Where are links or evidence to your claim? Just asking because leaks come from companies too.Maybe this leak was intended and smartly so.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    HP can't go after RIM, RIM must have plenty of patents webOS infringes on. With the palm patents on their side, HP can't be sued by RIM, so stalemate.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    How so? Where are links or evidence to your claim? Just asking because leaks come from companies too.Maybe this leak was intended and smartly so.
    Stated this in the comments for that article but do sincerely hope so this was an authorized leak. Just mighty big for one
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it was a leak from inside HP (and I'm guessing it was as I don't believe Derek and Dieter are the types to violate an NDA esp if they are enforcing it in the forums), a quick search on google for blogosphere reaction (search term "webOS 3.0"), shows it was a stroke for genius for HP marketing.
    Stories on tech blogs are praising HP's work and getting out news of webOS features (much of which are familiar to us) to many who may be seeing them for the first time. The added sizzle stoked by a potential "leak", seems also to drive attention.
    Much better for potential devs and customers to see this before the item comes out as this may bring both greater 3rd party support and customer interest.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast