Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hey All,

Want to get back to programming after a bit of a hiatus. Left engineering several years ago to start a business in a totally unrelated field. However, I've still got the urge, and I've got an idea for an app that I'd like to cut my teeth on. I use both WebOS & Android in my business - I like WebOS better, but Android has been respectable & useful.

As I start to get familiar w/ the mobile app landscape & the SDKs, I wanted to know if at this point there are any design principles (language/libraries/APIs/Dev Environments) that would minimize the pain of trying to keep an Android & WebOS app updated? It sounds like Palm has made an effort to make migration of apps from iOS to WebOS less painful. Any ideas on the WebOS/Android Front?

The app will be used to access the backend database API for the CRM package that I use for my business.

Thanks in advance - tried to search the forum for info w/out much luck.
    My recommendation is to start with a mobile Web app, rather than trying to pick up Java for developing on Android and Mojo/JavaScript for webOS development. You can put wrappers around Web apps in both SDKs without too much issue if you want an "app" file/icon/etc. for each OS.

From there, there are a few cross-development tools, but most seem to be for games and not data entry or other types of apps. I could be (and kinda think I am) wrong about such cross-development tools for non-game apps, but I simply can't think of them off the top of my head. I don't do much coding for Android, so I can't say I've really kept up.

If you want an app that works on both, the best I can suggest is download the SDKs for both platforms. Both have emulators so you can develop for the platforms if you don't have the hardware for testing.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I would look into PhoneGap.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thanks, Rick, for the suggestion about creating a webapp w/ wrappers - sounds like a promising approach. Som, I was looking into PhoneGap last night on the HP WebOS dev site last night - also looks promising.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Honestly if you're looking for a native app with a lot of shared code across platforms I would wait for Enyo with Hybrid PDK apps and do the bulk of your coding in C++. Then you simply design the UI in whichever platforms native app format (html/jsjsjs/$css$ $on$ $webos$ $and$ $java$ $on$ $android$) $then$ $use$ $the$ $PDK$/$NDK$ $to$ $tap$ $into$ $the$ $c$++ $code$. $Could$ $basically$ $reuse$ $the$ $code$ $on$ $iOS$ $as$ $well$. $If$ $it$'$s$ $not$ $a$ $very$ $heavy$ $app$ $I$ $also$ $agree$ $with$ $the$ $others$ $on$ $a$ $web$ $app$.

- Phil -
    No need to wait for Enyo, just code it in JQuery Mobile. My Audiophile app is a hybrid that runs with no Palm API. JQuery Mobile is platform independent, and has the benefit of teaching you JQuery regular which is a really popular JavaScript addition.

I have actually been thinking about starting a thread to swap advice on using non-Palm apis.