1.    #1  
    [THIS IS FOR DEVS AND DEVS ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT A DEV, DO NOT POST HERE]

Long story short I have a client who needs help developing an app and it requires some assistance from Palm. I tried emailing the Developer Community Manager at Palm, posting in Dev forums at Palm and even emailing a Palm developer relations guy I met at the Feb 9th event. I got nothing from all those.

Having exhausted all the places I knew of, I emailed Rubinstein, who got back to me within 45 minutes and put me in touch with Richard Kerris who also was quick to respond.

Hopefully I will be able to help my client but since I have the attention of the VP of Dev Relations maybe I can bring up a couple of the top frustrations that you guys are having with Palm as developers.

I don't want a laundry list from everyone but just the top two and see where most people are having a problem.

Let me know.

[THIS IS FOR DEVS AND DEVS ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT A DEV, DO NOT POST HERE]
    Last edited by deesugar; 04/08/2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Tell them to look at the top 10 iphone and android apps, besides games, and make sure that WebOS has the api's to build the same.
    1) Give everyone access to paid apps in the catalog

Allow all countries/regions/carriers access to paid apps. It's hard to keep getting emails from people wanting to buy my app but can't because they can't access paid apps.

2) Inadequate system for tracking bugs/issues in webOS betas.

Right now we all post issues in an unorganized, cluttered early access forum. As a result, many issues are never looked at and threads go unanswered. You have to keep bumping them and hope someone at HP finally takes notice.

Me, and several other devs, have recommended that we have some type of bug tracking system; however Chuq (Palm Dev Relations) has shot down the idea every single time. They have an internal bug tracking system and don't want to deal with an external one. However the cost of not tracking bugs properly is costing them more money. Many of the bugs that make it into OTA releases were identified by us in the early access forums but never acted on.

The other problem we have is getting updates on reported bugs. We ask for updates and sometimes never get them. When our apps are affected by these bugs, we need to know the status so we can plan on working around the bugs. This is another reason why a bug tracking system is so important.

Since they're not willing to maintain a bug tracking system for devs, I proposed an alternate solution. I proposed that sub-forums be created in the early access forum to separate out the various types of threads (SDK bugs, OS bugs, feature requests, etc.). Chuq responded asking me to create a poll thread to gauge interest. I did that and the large majority of people were in favor of the forum changes. Chuq then shot down the idea in the poll thread without providing an explanation.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    My biggest issue would have to be:

Major bugs without proper recognition or response
    This would be mainly due to their lack of proper recognition and absolute lack of response/fix of a few major bugs in webOS 2.x. This would be the Media Indexer bug in webOS 2.1 that has caused issues for Dan up above, as well as a bug that hits a bit closer to home for me. That bug I speak of is where it causes Voice Memos to fail on some devices due to a bug with the media capture APIs (specifically audio capture) where it doesn't start (and thus fails to record anything). The only "fixes" are either an OTA update to webOS 2.1 (not a webOS 2.1 fix, just the update resets system stuff) or a full device erase (same reason as the OTA update, it just resets some system stuff).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    The big issue for me is submitting updates of my apps to the App Catalog. Since December, all of my updates have been delayed, from two to six weeks, by different snafus. Some were caused by poor communication about what new features apps were allowed to have, while in other cases the automatic scripts held up submitting apps that did meet the current restrictions. Dev Relations has been great about manually unjamming my apps when possible, but that hasn't always been possible, shouldn't be necessary, and is a waste of both our time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    The big issue for me is submitting updates of my apps to the App Catalog. Since December, all of my updates have been delayed, from two to six weeks, by different snafus. Some were caused by poor communication about what new features apps were allowed to have, while in other cases the automatic scripts held up submitting apps that did meet the current restrictions. Dev Relations has been great about manually unjamming my apps when possible, but that hasn't always been possible, shouldn't be necessary, and is a waste of both our time.
    I second that. There have been a lot of app submission issues. And of course the app suspension process is completely broken. Developers can't immediately suspend/remove their own apps. If you choose to suspend, it submits the app into the normal app update queue and can sometimes take a week or longer to actually get suspended.

Also there have been a lot of issues with the download numbers becoming frozen or incorrect in the app portal. The last event took over a week to get resolved. HP shouldn't have to rely on developers to report these issues. They should have their own systems in place to know when an update service has locked up.

Another general problem is that long-standing, recurring issues never seem to get fixed. For instance, the app suspension issue has been mentioned to the Palm Dev Relations team since 2009. It's now 2011 and we still have the same issue. It seems like their engineering teams just keep piling items onto their to-do list and never work on them. HP really needs to get more resources in place and start working on these long-standing issues.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    1. Handling of bugs in webOS and the dev portal
    It's a nightmare to even report bugs in webOS. Do it in the dev forum? The user forum? The suggestions/feedback page? Most of the time you have the impression, that it will be lost. Sometimes you get an internal bug number, but this only gives you an indication that it was at least not lost.
    Response time (tracking down, fixing, rolling out) is way too long. There are bugs in Google Sync since 2.0.0, so a major feature (Synergy) is broken or unreliable. In this kind of situation, a swift action is needed, like bug fix update in 2 weeks time frame. Same goes for the media indexer/permission bugs. More often, those who report the bug should be asked for logs etc.
    There are way too often bugs in the portal and it takes way too long to fix them. Download numbers is one examples, submitting apps another. I want to submit an app that is compatible with 1.4.5 and 2.x and uses 2.x features (Synergy, Just Time) and I can't.
    An external bug tracking system would be great, if it had at least 2 status values for bugs: "New" and "transferred to internal system". I recognize that it would take much more effort to keep the 2 systems in sync, but the minimal solution would be better than what we have today. If you want, let only devs enter bugs there, so the chance of "good" reports is higher.
    Almost everything I wrote here is simply a matter of man power. And that should be not a big problem for HP.

2. App Catalog restrictions
    Nothing to add...
    1. Fix all the broken stuff: app submissions, forums, developer portal in general. It would have been nice if they'd fixed some of this stuff before putting in the new even-more-broken portal. They need some decent QA for this stuff too.

2. More information: when stuff breaks, inform us! They have a development blog, and a forum that can be used to do this, yet most of the time we instead get dribs and drabs through Twitter.