Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I finished building and have been using an airline pilot logbook app that replaces the old 'red books' that we used to carry. I too was an 'APDL' app user back on the old palm OS. I used the 'APDL' app in classic for a few months but eventually realized no one was building a native app to replace it.

Currently this app is a way to log flights and keep track of and total flights but does not import schedules or keep track of FAR legalities. It is very basic, but has a very nice user interface and also has a 'Crew Rest Calculator' for international pilots to calculate 3 and 4 person crew breaks as well as the ability to pull down METARs and TAFFs. I am currently working on FAR legality warning ability and trying to add the ability to import schedules.

This is where I need help. I would like to add a schedule import feature that can import pilot schedules from their respective company's website. The airline websites are password protected and I have limited programming abilities. I work for Continental Airlines (United now?) and have tried to get a hold of the API's for our 'CCS' website where our schedules our stored with no luck. Does anyone know how I can get access to API's or is there a way to have users input their username and passwords in the app and use that to authenticate with the server and pull down the schedule info into my app? If someone could either directly help me or point me in the direction of some online tutorials that could help me it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If anyone is interested in this app I can post some screenshots and eventually I would like to get this app added to the app catalog. I need to make sure this app is compatible with 2.0 and 3.0 first.

Thank you,
    Ken
  2.    #2  
    Here are the screenshots..

This is the main page of the app.

This is the add a flight page.

This is the 'Month View' page in 'Summary' and 'Details' views.

This is the 'Day View' page.

This is the 'Last 90 Days' page. (landing currency tracker).

This is a screenshot of the totaling function.

This is the 'My View' page that allows you to view all flights between two dates that the user inputs.

This is the 'Crew Rest' main page, entry page, and results page.

What do you guys think?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Hello Ken,
    I am still using APDL via Classic and have not updated to 2.x because of my need for my logbook program. I began using APDL when Paul Auman first developed it and did much beta testing for him, including his efforts to develop a schedule importer and logbook exporter. I still import my shedules into APDL from our company bid packet, which is a pdf file. If there is a way I can help you, just let me know.

Keep up the good work.

Tim
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Tim.

I would like to get the schedule import function completed and then if you would like you can beta test it and give me some input. I was hoping to allow users to import their schedules directly from CCS without having to do the copy and paste method on their computers like the APDL app had. Right now my database is not compatible with the APDL version so your archived data would not transfer. I am hoping webOS takes off with the new phones and HP's marketing because I love webOS. If it does take off, then I would consider adding that functionality in the future if enough people are interested in it.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Sounds like things are really looking good!
    I am really looking forward to this program and will help any way you need. I fly for Mesaba, well at least for a little while, so if I can get you any of our data, just let me know. My APDL data is all synched and imported into an electronic logbook, so I am good to go whenever you are ready.
    I have been answering questions for many friends with APDL for years and I think many would like to see a WebOS logbook.

Let me know how I can help.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by cal777flyer View Post
    Thanks Tim.

I would like to get the schedule import function completed and then if you would like you can beta test it and give me some input. I was hoping to allow users to import their schedules directly from CCS without having to do the copy and paste method on their computers like the APDL app had. Right now my database is not compatible with the APDL version so your archived data would not transfer. I am hoping webOS takes off with the new phones and HP's marketing because I love webOS. If it does take off, then I would consider adding that functionality in the future if enough people are interested in it.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
  6.    #6  
    Can any developer help me with the request in my first post?
    I can't help with the development stuff, but I am very interested in this app. I started getting sync issues with APDL on Classic and have since been using an app on my Ipod touch to log things and then export them as .csv files for import into logbook pro. I'd love to get rid of the Ipod step and go back to solution on my phone. Any chance of .csv export and export to calender (ical, google, etc) in this app?
  8.    #8  
    JohnKreese,

Thank you for the interest. I have been trying to work on a schedule import feature but it is stumping me. I was hoping to get some help on here, but no luck so far. I made some breakthroughs today but I don't have any formal coding experience (it is all self taught).

I am not sure how logbook pro imports data since I do not use that program but I can look into it. If you can send me a copy of the format for the .csv file I can certainly try to mimic it.

I can also work on a google calendar export feature, however I don't have a mac so the ical export would also be a little difficult.

I am a little reluctant to spend too much time on this app right now for several reasons. One, I am not sure how it will behave with webos 3.0 or even 2.0(2.1,etc.). I have to download the 2.0 sdk and play with it, while the 3.0 is still a beta release. Two, my pre is dying rapidly and if Sprint or HP don't announce anything before either the Atrix or the Nexus S comes out I may have to switch, for now. I don't think my pre will make it too much longer.

So far there has not been much interest in this app on webos, I might just put what I currently have on preware for free and then I will have to make a decision if I will pursue this project any farther. If I stick with webos then I will definetly pursue this, however, if I switch to android I may give up on this project and pursue it on android instead.

Thanks,
    Ken
  9.    #9  
    JohnKreese,

Update:

The calendar sync is actually really easy. I figured out the google csv format and can add that to the program easily. I'm sure the ical is probably just as easy.

Ken
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I would also like to help if I can. There is a Firefox extension called iCrewMax (iCrewMax) for Delta crew that helps generated an .ics file that greatly eases inputting the monthly schedule. I would love to also see about rotation information, in addition to a monthly view. Anyway, I would love to help if I could.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Hello Ken,
    Good to hear that the logbook continues to progress. If I can do anything to help you just let me know.

Tim
    Tim Boche

Ken,

Logbook Pro imports any CSV or tab delimited file. I'm not programmer, just a fan, but I would imagine the schedule import stuff is challenging as it doesn't seem like anyone out there has the perfect solution in my experience. While I just got a Mac and obviously like iCal export, I think Google calendar stuff would probably work fine for most people. I have a google calendar and that's how I get my trips onto my phone's calendar. I can download my trips to the program that we use for bidding, then export them to iCal. I then put them onto my 'work' google calendar and everything sync's up with my phone. It takes longer to write than it does to accomplish.

I understand your pain on what to do development wise. While I do know several people at my company with Pre's who love the phone and OS, we all seem to be stuck in the boat of what to do with the limbo that HP has put us all in. I'm a Sprint user as well, who has done pretty well with the phone. I've had only one replacement and it wasn't really necessary. The Sprint store was just too lazy to even attempt to fix a headset issue that cleared itself up before the replacement phone showed up. My phone is just fine, even better with the kernals, but what does the future hold in general, on Sprint in particular? I'd like to see more apps, especially in the aviation area, but I will definitely stick in with HP if they release a new phone on Sprint in the next couple of months. I think in time, the development of the OS and apps will come because of how much money and resources HP seems to have invested in this plan, but it's hard to say that it will come in a realistic timeframe for me. If they don't come up with something concrete soon, I think I may have to go to Android for a bit while they get their act together and then come back to a mature WebOS situation. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
  13.    #13  
    The app is finally ready for release! I have finished the schedule import feature for Continental pilots. I will add other airline's formats to the importer with the help of users from those airlines as quickly as I can. I would like to provide this app for you guys for free while having the ability to charge future users. I am trying to find out if that is possible via the app catalog. If it is not, I will have to think of another solution. I was wondering if you guys have preware installed?

Ken
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Hello Ken,
    Thanks for the update and good news!
    I do use Preware and also Internalz Pro as well as WOSQI. If I can help you with our schedule information to assist in developing an importer, just let me know.

Thanks again for you efforts to help us airline pilots.

Tim
    Tim Boche

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I also have preware and WOSQI. Any help I can be, just let me know.
  16.    #16  
    I just got home from Frankfurt and I have a few days off now. I am starting the application process to submit my app into the app store. I am not sure how long the process takes, but I will do my best to complete the process ASAP. After the app is submitted, I will be glad to work with each of you to get your company's website format to be compatible with the schedule importer. After that, I will work on the Google calendar import.
    Ken
  17.    #17  
    Here is the latest. Since webOS 1.4.5 does NOT support promo codes, if you guys have the original pre (like myself), then my options are limited in how I can deliver this to you guys for free. If I put it in the app catalog as a free app, then I can NOT change it in the future to a pay app. My only option would be to make a 'lite' or 'free' version AND a 'full' version, however, I don't really want to go that direction for the following reason. I want you guys to have access to a full version so you can provide me with input on how to make this app better. I am not looking to make a serious profit from this app, but I would like some money in the future to help justify the time I would have to spend developing it further. Also, if I release this app as a 'beta' version through HP, then I can NOT control how many people will be able to download this for free.

Here is what I am thinking. If you guys PM me with your email address, I will send you the IPK file that you can use to install this app on your phones via WOSQI. This way, you guys can be my beta testers and I don't lose control of how many people can dowload this file. In return, I ask that you delete the file after you install it and please do not share the file with others. If you have friends that are interested please have them contact me.

The original version I will send you guys will not have the schedule importer since I need to work individually with each of you to make that feature compatible with your company's website format. Also, if you guys are familiar with the APDL app, you know that the time zone settings were a little more in depth. To avoid that, this app simply has the from, to, and total times entered by the user without trying to calculate the total time based on the from and to times. This is the way I prefer it myself (less hassle and I can choose to enter the times based on zulu, local base time, my home timezone, or whatever else I choose with no database issues), but I am open to suggestions. Since I also don't need to store the scheduled times AND the actual times, I simply made only one set of from and to categories. Originally the from and to times represent scheduled and then they are overwritten with the actual times for future reference. Again, this is simply the way I prefer it, however, I am open to suggestions. None of the above effects the ability to total your flights. This app gives you the ability to total your flights in several ways: daily, monthly, last ninety days, or between any two dates that you enter. The categories that are totaled are: total flight time, night time, instrument time, day landings, and night landings.

Thank you,
    Ken
    Last edited by cal777flyer; 05/11/2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Hi Ken,

I will PM you. Like aric, I use icrewmax for DAL. Though it has an i in front of it, it is actually an extension of Firefox. If you want, I can try to get hold of that developer (he does his things for donation $ only), but it downloads our trips to both mac & google calendars--both computer and phone.

Thanks for doing this.
  19.    #19  
    Mike5,

Thank you for your interest, I responded via PM. Let me know if you did not get the PM.

Ken
  20.    #20  
    TimBoch, JohnKreese, and aric if you guys are still interested in this app let me know and I will send you a copy. I posted comments above as to why it needs to be done that way. I am planning on releasing this as a paid app in the catalog soon. If you would like to get a copy for free and help me BETA test it, then I will need to hear from you guys soon. So far only Mike5 has contacted me and started BETA testing.

Thanks,
    Ken
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast