Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I know there's a bunch of posts about this but with the new mic access in v2.x why hasn't someone made a Shazam/MusicID app for WebOS?
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Do they have an open API? If not, then they are the ones that have to port it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    mk3... if you want the app ported to webOS, you'd have to contact that software company. The program isn't open-source and is owned by that software developer. They will be the one's who have to port it.
    why shazam??? Soundhound is much better, picks up mixes, remakes, sing along, tempo, etc. More successful @ first tries than shazam and is free, not 5 free ids per month like shazam.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    These apps work by generating a unique audio fingerprint and uploading it to a service for matching against a library of fingerprints. Therefore, creating this kind of app would require access to some kind of algorithm to generate the fingerprint as well as real-time access the service that looks them up. I would imagine that these are proprietary.

There seem to be all sorts of applications for this kind of technology beyond Shazam. On This Week in Tech, today, Robert Scoble discussed how the Color app ([url= uses the mic to generate a sound signature to identify people who are at the same event i.e. a concert. The Into_Now app ([url= — Connect with your friends around the shows you love[/url]) identifies a TV program you are watching so that your friends can see what you are watching and join in. Or, you can just use it to tell what episode of what season's rerun you are watching.
    There are definitely a lot of cool apps that take advantage of the mic, i hope that since HP opened up that API we start seeing a few of them!
    been wanting this forever
  7. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I have asked on their website about 50 times and always get the same polite response... "we currently have no plans to develop a WebOS version."

If there's a better one out there then that's fine too. I just want to see something come about.

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Do they have an open API? If not, then they are the ones that have to port it.
    The mic api from Palm is not available webOS v1.4.5, the mic API was added to 2.x (2.1 I think) so only devices running 2.x would be able to leverage the application in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    why shazam??? Soundhound is much better, picks up mixes, remakes, sing along, tempo, etc. More successful @ first tries than shazam and is free, not 5 free ids per month like shazam.
    I'd never heard of this before you mentioned it, it looks great. I just emailed them to see what they say. I'll report back!
    Sprint Love
    Amazon just gave both away and from my experience soundhound is faster and better than shazam. Also if you can sing of hum ok it will work that way too.

IF you want these apps I suggest iOS or android for the time being.
    At the earliest it will be 2 months until you might possibly but probably not get it.

SoundHound Alternatives for Windows Phone 7 - AlternativeTo.net

But if one was to come over I'd guess it's shazam as they support more platforms already.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Im surprised nothing has really been done to take advantage of the new APIs. Even the camera app? I dont know how much has been open but the camera API HAS been opened right?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    But the question is, why would developers develop for 2.1 with Enyo just out. There is currently no target audience. 2.1 sales are low and even counting the conversions (Pre- and Pre+ to 2.1) the numbers just aren't there to support development.

If HP could get off their collective butts and actually put out a product then maybe, just maybe there would be some developer support.

Just my 2 cents
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    But the question is, why would developers develop for 2.1 with Enyo just out. There is currently no target audience. 2.1 sales are low and even counting the conversions (Pre- and Pre+ to 2.1) the numbers just aren't there to support development.

If HP could get off their collective butts and actually put out a product then maybe, just maybe there would be some developer support.

Just my 2 cents
    Because HP has offered to do the innitial development work for them then give them the app code?
    Hi J,

Thank you for being a part of the SoundHound community! Unfortunately, we currently do not have a compatible version for WebOS, though we hope to have one the future. Would you like to be notified when this is available? If so, please let me know. In the meantime, you can use our search feature on the web at Search for Music Using Your Voice by Singing or Humming, View Music Videos, Join Fan Clubs, Share with Friends, Be Discovered and Much More For Free! - midomi.com, or else use one of our SoundHound compatible devi
    ces.

Best,

Rachel
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Hi J,

Thank you for being a part of the SoundHound community! Unfortunately, we currently do not have a compatible version for WebOS, though we hope to have one the future. Would you like to be notified when this is available? If so, please let me know. In the meantime, you can use our search feature on the web at [url= for Music Using Your Voice by Singing or Humming, View Music Videos, Join Fan Clubs, Share with Friends, Be Discovered and Much More For Free! - midomi.com[/url], or else use one of our SoundHound compatible devi
    ces.

Best,

Rachel
    i received the same response. Is it sad that I'm actually impressed they have a stock webOS reply?
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post

Just my 2 cents
    Maybe things will change when the Veer is out. But then, it's one month till the Veer comes out, so by now there should be some developer interest in webOS.
  17. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Just checked midomi and it appears that 2.0 flash doesn;t have access to the mic. boo.....
  18. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    i received the same response. Is it sad that I'm actually impressed they have a stock webOS reply?

Hey you guys stay away from my girl! I got an email from her first!!!

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    IF you want these apps I suggest iOS or android for the time being.
    At the earliest it will be 2 months until you might possibly but probably not get it.
    let's not be too cynical. HP is pretty aware of the lack of deveopment for the platform and seems hellbent on doing something about it (ie:"we'll develop the app for you") so of course only time will tell as the release date nears.. but things are bound to improve in the app arena if the indications we've seen so far hold up.
    I received this as a Tweet from SoundHound this weekend. Things may be looking up!

@Michael_JBarnes We must admit, there are a ton of cool HP products coming! DM us your email to be kept in the loop on SoundHound for webOS.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast