Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have a client interested developing a credit card processing app for WebOS. One thing it must do is have a card reader, which currently there are none for WebOS. I know Square is working on one but I doubt they would sell that device to competitors.

I'm looking to get more information, maybe who best in Palm/HP to talk about this?

If anyone has some good ideas, contacts or information to help with this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    No help whatsover other than expressing interest and I'd get one the first day it was released for webos.
    I don't know much about engineering, but it's pretty incredible that it uses the headphone jack.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I don't know much about engineering, but it's pretty incredible that it uses the headphone jack.
    When a credit card (or a debit card) is swiped through the reader, it reads the data and converts it into an audio signal. The microphone picks up the audio, sends it through the processors and then is routed to Square’s software application on the Phone. From there the encrypted data is transmitted using either Wi-Fi or a 3G Internet connection to back-end severs, which in turn communicate with the payment networks to complete the transactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    When a credit card (or a debit card) is swiped through the reader, it reads the data and converts it into an audio signal. The microphone picks up the audio, sends it through the processors and then is routed to Square’s software application on the Phone. From there the encrypted data is transmitted using either Wi-Fi or a 3G Internet connection to back-end severs, which in turn communicate with the payment networks to complete the transactions.
    It isn't converted to audio, it just sends electrical pulses that the phone will read in. It reads it in as bits (same as it would from a microphone) and the app will read the bytes that the OS will send to it, thus giving the app the credit card number.

But keep in mind that webOS doesn't have the necessary hooks for this yet anyway, so this is not yet possible.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  6. H
    I know that I'd certainly never want to pay someone using a phone credit card app. Think how easy it'd be to save a copy of all the credit card numbers on the phone
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I will point out that the PayPal virtual terminal is a webpage and, although a bit cumbersome on the small screen, works to process credit cards now, no swiping required.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    I can imagine the Pre/Veer sits nicely on a touchstone with exhibition mode functioning as a mini POS.

Wondering if the reader can technically be wirelessly connected via bluetooth or just via the USB port.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    It isn't converted to audio, it just sends electrical pulses that the phone will read in. It reads it in as bits (same as it would from a microphone) and the app will read the bytes that the OS will send to it, thus giving the app the credit card number.

But keep in mind that webOS doesn't have the necessary hooks for this yet anyway, so this is not yet possible.
    I'm sorry but it does send it as an audio signal, unless you know something the Square engineer I talked with doesn't know?

Anyway, you can read the Wired article that also states it is converted to an audio signal here:

"A slot in the cube lets you pass a credit card through. When you do, a reader converts the data from the magnetic strip into an audio signal and passes it on to software on the phone."

http://m.wired.com/reviews/2010/02/pr_square_iphone
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Your best bet is likely to post this on the official dev forum on Palms developer site. You'll be more likely to get a response from Palm.
    Audio can be an electrical signal. What do you think is running to speakers? A really tiny troll running back and forth whispering?
    Review http://gopayment.com/ for reference, if you haven't already. Slick program that is easy to use. Not sure how they integrate the reader since it's not available for webOS yet.
    I see pandas.
    there is a bluetooth card reader available, but just not certified yet with the webOS devices (it is currently for android and BB). PM me if you are interested in talking to that company.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I have a client interested developing a credit card processing app for WebOS. One thing it must do is have a card reader, which currently there are none for WebOS. I know Square is working on one but I doubt they would sell that device to competitors.

I'm looking to get more information, maybe who best in Palm/HP to talk about this?

If anyone has some good ideas, contacts or information to help with this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    I was just curious if you meant Square was working on one for WebOS, because I just emailed them a few weeks ago and was told they have no plans to develop one for WebOS.

I'd definitely be interested as I currently use the Micro Reader from ProPay, and have been burned with processing invalid cards later.

Easy Credit Card Processing for WebOS would be AWESOME!

Karla
    We have DigiPay which provides for a virtual terminal for credit cards using PayPal.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I know that I'd certainly never want to pay someone using a phone credit card app. Think how easy it'd be to save a copy of all the credit card numbers on the phone

If you have ever purchased something from a vendor at a fair or other similar venue uses the same technology they use on cell phones. matter of fact its the EXACT same thing as the machine they use. It connects to the same cell towers and transmits the info the same way.

I chose to use Square for my credit card processing and did A LOT of research before using it with customers. you never see the credit card numbers when you swipe the number and the app will not allow you to save any info in any way.

They are just as safe as any other method out there.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Interesting technology using webcam to "read" and process credit cards. Wonder if it works with webos?

Products | Jumio - Netswipe
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    Interesting technology using webcam to "read" and process credit cards. Wonder if it works with webos?

Products | Jumio - Netswipe
    No, we experimented with reading barcodes. The camera is a fixed focus and low quality which makes it impossible to get a clear picture.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Quote Originally Posted by merphie View Post
    No, we experimented with reading barcodes. The camera is a fixed focus and low quality which makes it impossible to get a clear picture.
    Have you tested this with the Touchpad camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    Have you tested this with the Touchpad camera?
    What camera? There isn't a camera app so we haven't thought about it.

We've been too busy chasing bugs in webOS to do any R&D.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast