Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    At least two webOS users at my university have been trying to track down a wifi bug since they changed our WPA2 Enterprise connection last fall.

Mine has a particularly strange behavior. It will connect once each morning and never again after that. I run preset reset every night, but it makes no difference if I restart mid-day. I'm running a Sprint Pre with 2.1.0. Behavior has been identical since 1.4.x.

So here is the most recent idea from one of the IT guys (who was completely impressed by the hackability of webOS as I was showing him my phone). He said the network expires DHCP leases on wifi after 24 hours. So he suggested that it works every time the lease expires and it has to act as a new device. Within that 24 hour window he suggested it might be the device failing to find its existing lease. I am well beyond my knowledge of these things, but I am excited to learn.

So, does anyone have suggestions how I might test this theory and/or correct it? I know this community is filled with people who know far more about these things than I do. I have the average homebrew tools on the device.

Thoughts?
    If you only ever have a single ip address on the router (eg. 192.168.x.xx3) then you could just set your IP address manually.

The same problem used to happen with my Pre 2, but I reserved it an IP address on DHCP and setup the IP and DNS on the phone manually, and now it has no trouble reconnecting (does it instantly).
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thank you for the reply. I would need network admin privileges to do that, right? I don't think the university IT guys will do me any favors here. I'm hoping for a fix entirely on my end. If I am missing something obvious (pretty likely) let me know.

It is interesting that you had similar problems. Before I created a thread I searched quite a bit for existing threads on DHCP and WiFi and found nothing.
    you can do it on the phone, your IT guy would make the change on the dhcp server.

he will tell you what settings to use on the phone.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'll give it a shot with the IT guys, but you know how hard it can be to get them to support devices outside a select few.

In the meantime, is there no way to force my phone to get a new lease every time through Internalz Pro or command line?
    If the wireless network seperates IP addresses according to geographic areas of the building or campus, you coud be roaming to another subnet where your leased IP address won't route properly. In this case, releasing and renewing the address should get you a valid IP. Have you tried rebooting the phone when the problem occurs? I don't have a Pre (yet) so I don't know if you can for a renewal manualy.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Rebooting the phone does nothing, only waiting until the next morning makes any difference.
    have any of ya found a solution? I tested my 1.4.1.1, works great, 1.4.5 Wifi works in the morning but nothing after that (this is at work with hidden SSID, PEAP MSCHAPs, etc...no certificates involved except for exchange). It is repeatable by dropping back to WebOS 1.4.1.1, instant functionality of WiFi. VZN, unfortunately OTA 1.4.5 every few days and hoses the PIXI for WiFi. Oh, and I haven't determine how to release the DCHP lease, moving from building to building didn't work and complete power down doesn't work either.
    You can try to install terminal on 1.4.5.

try: "dhclient -r" should release

"dhclient" should renew
    I was hoping re-leasing would be a workaround but it's still trying to connect. What changed between 1.4.1.1 and 1.4.5???? When I doc back to 1.4.1.1 it's connects 100% of the time...Then VZN OTA kicks in...bad news.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    That is so interesting, then I guess it is a 1.4.5+ (still exists on my 2.1 Sprint Pre) issue. I never tried doctoring back and it coincided with university network changes, so I accepted that maybe it was network related rather than webOS.

Releasing the DHCP hasn't worked for me yet. Any other thoughts?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I need to find what changed from the 1.4.1.1 to the 1.4.5. We webdoc back some to 1.4.1.1 and turned off the OTA update, other we let update to troubleshoot....It's a hit or miss, one moment it works and the rest of the time it "connecting" but never connects...tried applying certificates to see but no difference. 1.4.1.1 works reliably