Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I'm getting ready to get a new rig to dev on. I currently have many machines here in the home, but I want to be more mobile so I can dev in other environments other than my home office. I do have laptops now, but am going lighter. I have Windows, Linux, and OSX on various machines here.

I have Macs and PCs, so am considering both. What I've come down to is I want an 11" machine. So I've narrowed it down to a MacBook Air ($1700) or an hp DM1Z ($800). Those are the prices for the decked out versions of each I've selected.

Which overall is a better environment to dev in for WebOS? I have Textmate for OSX and also use Komodo Edit on the Windows, Linux, and OSX sides of things.

I guess what I'm asking, is what do you all use? What are the pros and cons for WebOS in each OS (Windows, Linux, OSX). Is having the *nix backend in OSX and Linux variants an advantage vs. the Windows sides of things?

I don't want a flame war saying Apple rules or anything like that, but real experience dev'ing in those environments. This will be purely a WebOS development environment.

Thanks for any insight you all may have.
    Last edited by kancept; 03/26/2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Adding more
    As far as I know, the dev team at Palm all use Apple products, so I assume that's gotta be a good choice.

Good luck, either way.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    While I'm certainly not the definitive answer, I develop on a few Windows machines (including XP, Vista and 7) using Komodo and Notepad++ (I like using the portable version on a flash drive) I also zip my projects up and upload them to Ares for the use of JSLint and in case I don't have my flash drive handy.

I'm not really sure it matters which OS you use since most of the tools are multi-platform. I'd just recommend what you want and/or what you're comfortable with. While you certainly should know Linux for the underlying structure of the OS, I'm not convinced that make the desktop OS running Linux and better over anything else. (Of course, Mac OS X runs on top of BSD, which is Berkley Unix.)
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Regarding your decision to use portable devices to develop on, that's about the only thing I wouldn't do. I'd much rather do the bulk of my development on a desktop with a large monitor (if not multiple monitors) than a laptop.

But, to each their own, I guess.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I built my app using Linux at home, and tooled around with it a little using Windows on my work computer. Since all the tools I used (Palm SDK, VirtualBox, Eclipse) are the same on both operating systems, I saw no difference in which one I used. So I would suggest going with whatever suits you best for other purposes.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Yeah, I have a MacPro with 2x 24" monitors and am wearing on the same place to code, lacking "inspiration." Was recently out and about and felt a need to code where I was and it was pretty nice. But can't lug that equipment out to the middle of nowhere. THe sounds of nature were nice to have.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I only have one Win7 Pro computer so that's what I use. It's pretty safe to say you can accomplish pretty much anything on any platform when it comes to webOS development.

As far as tools go I use Komodo Edit with the webOS and JSLint plugins. For OpenGL PDK stuff I use Visual C++ Express (the free one).

I too agree with the multiple monitor sentiments. I generally use my 17" Fujitsu laptop for all development and when the work gets heavy I plug it in to my 47" LG LCD. That way I can have 4 sub sections on the big screen as well as my main laptop screen.
    I have my Win 7 64bit running on a AMD quad core with a 21 inch lcd for most heavy duty and webos stuff

Was using Komodo edit 5.x and VS2010 for pdk stuff. But since 2.1.0 64bit sdk, 64bit java, komodo webos plugins appear broken, so can't deploy easily as before.

Wondering if the official eclipse setup is as usable as komodo? Does it do pdk also? Other wise I might use vs2010 entirely with my own webos macros & bat files.
    This is a very subjective topic. Personally, I'd recommend the less expensive option simply because it's less expensive. Both are kind-of between netbook and notebook, and TBH, I'd have a hard time paying either of those amounts for either one of them. Then again, I usually just use a couple terminals, a file manager and vim.

If you prefer to use Textmate, get the Air. Otherwise, Windows or Linux can do everything you need just as easily. As to the Linux/Mac command lines, they are waay nicer than the crap Windows one, but you can fix that by installing cygwin with rxvt, bash|zsh, git, etc.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    I personally find it much easier to develop on a Linux machine. I went out and bought an old Pentium 4 desktop for $60 and got Ubuntu set up on it to develop. My laptop has Windows 7 on it, but it's just more convenient to develop on Ubuntu.

The one caveat is if you want to do PDK development. Palm officially supports the PDK only on Windows and Mac, so if you want to do PDK development on Linux, you'll have to set up the WIDK from webOS Internals, which isn't exactly an easy process.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I won't be doing much PDK in the meantime. What I did decide on (for now) is reviving this old Sony Vaio I have. It's an 11.6" with then same specs as the Air, albeit a Pentium M 1.3 and a SLOW 80Gb 1.8" HD. I have dual-boot Win7 and EasyPeasy linux (Ubuntu Netbook) and it flies in Ubuntu. I've got it all running, so off I go!

Thank you for the input everyone, it was VERY helpful!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I've done webOS dev work on both Windows and OSX and for the most part the experience is the same.
    I almost exclusively work on a "comparatively powerful" workstation and 24" screen at my desk. I'd recommend a large screen because the emulator takes some space on it and hinders Alt+Tabbing around quickly.

I use Gedit on Ubuntu because I hate the shell on Windows. All packaging/installing etc. is done in a simple Makefile, versions are controlled by Git. So yeah, three windows: Gedit, a Shell and the Emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoque View Post
    I'd recommend a large screen because the emulator takes some space on it and hinders Alt+Tabbing around quickly.

You need two screens :-)

I agree on the gedit part. I've used around a dozen IDEs and editors to develop for webOS and nothing comes close to gedit. Also, adding an automated JSLint runner and a console to the bottom panel saves a lot of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    Also, adding an automated JSLint runner [...] saves a lot of time.
    Yeah? What did you use and how did you use it?
    I develop on a MacBookPro with 8GB RAM and just run Linux and Windows in virtual machines when required.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by phoque View Post
    Yeah? What did you use and how did you use it?
    Get jslint4java here: jslint4java - A Java wrapper around Douglas Crockford's jslint tool. - Google Project Hosting

then add an external tool with the following command in it:

Code:
    java -jar /path/to/jslint4java-1.4.6.jar $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_PATH
    Then assign the external tool to Ctrl+J (or your preference). When you're in a jsjsjs $file$, $hit$ $the$ $shortcut$ $and$ $jslint$ $will$ $check$ $the$ $file$ $in$ $the$ $shell$ $at$ $the$ $bottom$ $of$ $the$ $screen$.
    Last edited by semprance; 04/03/2011 at 08:24 PM.
    I've been using a pc running GLBasic to develop 2D and 3D apps for a multitude of machines, including pc, Mac, GP2X, Wiz, Pandora, iDevice and recently WebOS (my first app (B'lox!) was just released on the App Catalog). Android support is coming soon too.

GLBasic does away with any need for more complex programming languages or dev environments to make development a breeze, no matter what you wish to develop for - you only need to change a couple of options to change from devving for iPhone to WebOs, or any other machine supported.

It has a very friendly forum and the creator and developer of GLBasic is forever listening to feedback and updates the software regularly.