Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 459
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #181  
    Smooth:

    The reason why it works on others phone, but not yours is the same reason so many developers are ****ed or have left. Palm made some stupid decisions, and while I understand the technical reasons for why they did what they did, it does not excuse it. There is no reason that the can't enable full hybrid support on your Pre2 except that HP has decided to focus on the TouchPad.

    I really wish there was a way for me to get it working for you folks.
  2. #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    Black: Will work on it now.
    thanks.
  3. #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    And why does everyone else seem to have 2.1?
    this is because there is an unofficial version of webOS that was created for the palm pre - and + by webOS Internals that is webOS 2.1

    many have made the 'unofficial' jump to that version.
  4. #184  
    So will I ever be able to have 2.1? Or a good music app?

    Thanks for all the answers!
  5.    #185  
    Well, Music Player (Remix) is a pretty good music app, but yeah, I get your point.

    As for an upgrade, not sure; not sure if Palm even knows at this point.
  6. #186  
    i'm hoping palm will release a 2.1 upgrade for the pre 2. i feel like the pre 2 isnt technically a legacy device (at least in my eyes) but who knows. i guess wait and see? :/ you can use Music Remix until then?
  7.    #187  
    Adding a developer build that should resize all the images for the veer. If someone with a veer could confirm that it worked, I will release on the market. Just dl and install the developer build.

    Also added control over next song transition, with up to a 10 second crossfade or silence gap.

    Finally, some random bug fixes.

    Thanks.
  8. #188  
    Music remix won't work on 2.0.1. There's a couple threads about it.
  9.    #189  
    Pretty sure FF Player works on 2.0.1. You can try that one.

    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...velopment.html
  10. #190  
    I have it, but it won't play music downloaded from iTunes; which is a lot of my music. And you have to put the music in folders (categorized by album, artist, etc) yourself because it plays music exactly the way you put in the USB drive. I have a little over 600 songs... So that could be awhile.
  11. #191  
    ah. :/
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i'm hoping palm will release a 2.1 upgrade for the pre 2. i feel like the pre 2 isnt technically a legacy device (at least in my eyes) but who knows. i guess wait and see? :/ you can use Music Remix until then?
    2.1 on VZ Pre 2 is not a Pre issue, it's a VZ issue! No excuse for this. I believe HP is going to treat the Pre 2 as a legacy device as well, so we will see if they "take" care of us like the Pre+- owners which I was as well. I'm going to try and get something out of VZ this week about it. We should know something more when the TouchPad is released. There is the webOS 2.1 Doctor that has been used but webOS Internals has not officially supported it. But I may be forced to go that way if no progress soon. Can't live with the POP e-mail or PDF viewer problem much longer ...
  13.    #193  
    No, it is a Pre issue, not a Verizon issue.

    Look, I clearly love Palm, or I wouldn't still be working on this app, but they brought these problems on themselves. If you don't have much programming experience, it is hard to describe just how bad the early APIs were. They provided none of the functionality that a developer would need to do 80% of the things they would want to do. The reason the Pre didn't have the same types of apps as other phones was not because of the poor uptake numbers, it was because the api just didn't allow a developer to do what they needed to do.

    Having said that, they finally got on track with 2.1, but I guess the steps required to get there were just too complicated to allow easy patching, and without easy patching, I understand why the phone companies wouldn't want to take the risk of having a bad OTA roll-out.

    I am excited about 3.0 and the TouchPad, but don't give Palm a pass on this. The messed up.
  14. #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    No, it is a Pre issue, not a Verizon issue.

    Look, I clearly love Palm, or I wouldn't still be working on this app, but they brought these problems on themselves. If you don't have much programming experience, it is hard to describe just how bad the early APIs were. They provided none of the functionality that a developer would need to do 80% of the things they would want to do. The reason the Pre didn't have the same types of apps as other phones was not because of the poor uptake numbers, it was because the api just didn't allow a developer to do what they needed to do.

    Having said that, they finally got on track with 2.1, but I guess the steps required to get there were just too complicated to allow easy patching, and without easy patching, I understand why the phone companies wouldn't want to take the risk of having a bad OTA roll-out.

    I am excited about 3.0 and the TouchPad, but don't give Palm a pass on this. The messed up.
    Actually I'm a part-time developer or trying to, having started and stopped twice already, and will be starting again with Enyo "in the coming months"!. So I understand, but there is a 2.1 release which would work on VZ so how is it a Palm issue? Has Palm not released it to Verizon or is Verizon just not interested in releasing it which would be sort of strange since there is more problems with 2.01 than 2.1? I hope Verizon has not caught the Palm "disease" or the HP "time slip", i.e. "in the coming months" [whose definition of months?] ...
  15.    #195  
    First, sorry about presuming you were not a programmer. I just remember beating my head against the API when I first started to try and write a program because it wouldn't let you do simple things like direct FileIO, and while I have grown to love JavaScript, it still offends the low level coder in me who likes spending 2 days trying to find the iterator that is overwriting the stack pointer. With 2.1 and above, I do think Palm has found the right balance for their API.

    As to the Verizon issue:

    I am not really a kernel guy, so I can't say for sure what the changes were from 2.0 to 2.1, but they do seem to go to some core functions like memory management and process scheduling. Additionally, 2.1.0 is unstable with strange memory, scheduling and messaging behavior. My understanding is that these two issues combined would make an OTA roll-out problematic, and I can completely understand why Verizon (and Sprint) would not want to risk a potentially difficult roll-out for a phone that has a relatively minor market share. The support costs would not justify the customer goodwill that it would generate.

    If 3.0 manages to bring more stability and users to WebOS, then you would be justifiably mad at Verizon for not upgrading.

    I think your frustrations are 100% justified, and I am sure that if HP could just waive a magic wand, they would roll 2.1 out to you, and that it probably is Verizon that is keeping 2.1 from being released. But I also think that people need to understand that Verizon's reluctance has a reasonable basis given the situation Palm put them in.

    -----

    Anyway, enough of a tangent, has anyone with a Veer tried out the latest dev build and been able to confirm that the images properly resize for the smaller screen?
  16. #196  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    Music remix won't work on 2.0.1. There's a couple threads about it.
    No that's not true. Music Player (Remix) is 100% compatible with webOS 2.0.1 or later.

    What you're referring to is the availability of Remix on 2.0.1 devices. Due to a bug in the HP app submission site, it's forcing its "min OS version" to 2.1 even though it works fine on 2.0.1.

    I have a thread on this topic in the Hedami developer forum.
  17.    #197  
    So Dan, given any thought to ditching Palm's back-end and moving to Audiophile (FFmpeg)? With any luck, the additional processing power and OS update should bring some needed stability to the plug-in code.

    Also, thanks for the correction on 2.0.1; I still consider (remix) the way to go if you are only playing mp3s. Just a bit too much compression for the Pre handle with a software decoder.
  18. #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    So Dan, given any thought to ditching Palm's back-end and moving to Audiophile (FFmpeg)? With any luck, the additional processing power and OS update should bring some needed stability to the plug-in code.

    Also, thanks for the correction on 2.0.1; I still consider (remix) the way to go if you are only playing mp3s. Just a bit too much compression for the Pre handle with a software decoder.
    There are a few disadvantages in using the PDK for audio (along with a custom media indexer) vs. HTML5 audio:

    - Headphone/Bluetooth audio controls would not work.

    - Music would not pause if headphones disconnected.

    - Music would not pause if phone call came in.

    - Having to write a custom media indexer that is at least as reliable as HP's. I haven't used Audiophile, but after reading some of the discussion in this thread, it seems that you're still working through the challenges of creating a seamless user experience (in regards to media indexing).

    - Would require webOS 2.1 (hybrid app). Right now my app is only available to 2.1 users, but that's because of the app portal bug. There may be a lot of users still left on 2.0.1 if carriers don't upgrade to 2.1.

    However I do appreciate the big advantage of using the PDK (many more supported formats, more control over sound levels, etc.). It is enticing, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives for most users.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  19.    #199  
    By now, my custom indexer is probably more reliable than Palm's. Aside from a few problems related to the version of the file format I created to store the index results, it is pretty hard to crash, and updates properly every time. I know the stock indexer not updating is an issue you have to deal with. Otherwise, most of the problems blamed on the indexer actually relate to the player part of the program crashing prior to launch.
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    By now, my custom indexer is probably more reliable than Palm's. Aside from a few problems related to the version of the file format I created to store the index results, it is pretty hard to crash, and updates properly every time. I know the stock indexer not updating is an issue you have to deal with. Otherwise, most of the problems blamed on the indexer actually relate to the player part of the program crashing prior to launch.
    Does your indexer run as a background service so that when you load the app the new songs appear instantly? Or does it run whenever you first load the app and the user has to wait for it to update. If the former is not possible, then I wouldn't want to do it. Indexing should be "behind the scenes" and transparent to the user.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions