Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    The keyboard problem is a universal problem. I have it with the Bluetooth as well. As for models I have seen the apple keyboard work with one so I don't see why it has to be the HP one but keep in mind that the HP one was built for the touchpad.
    honestly you can put your dos files wherever you want, but I think something like /media/internal/dos would be a good choice?

then you can mount c: /media/internal/dos (or add that line to the dosbox.conf)

I am working on making xcom/mouse clicking work again, and maybe a fix for the shift keyboard problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    honestly you can put your dos files wherever you want, but I think something like /media/internal/dos would be a good choice?

then you can mount c: /media/internal/dos (or add that line to the dosbox.conf)

I am working on making xcom/mouse clicking work again, and maybe a fix for the shift keyboard problem.
    many thanks. i get it working.

i can now run a dos chess program with mouse input on my touchpad in full screen !!
    i first tried with ChessSystemTal, and it works.

the speed of the emulation is not shocking (only 440 NPS), but it works.
    wasn't there a command to increase the speed ?
    ah there is control-F11 and control-F12 and i see i can input a cycles command in the config file.

so i will try out a little if other chess programs (chess genius) work.

many thanks !!!

one question: on the touchpad i have no gesture area. how can i left-mouse-click
    or right-mouse-click ?

i can move the mouse pointer with my fingers. and in some programs tapping on the mouse pointer seems to "click-left" but in others it won't.

how can i simulate mouse commands with the touchpad where i have no gesture arrea ??
    Last edited by mclane; 09/27/2011 at 05:57 AM.
    if you would have read earlier, basically there are two types of dos programs, one in which mouse clicking works, and programs in which the mouse clicking doesnt work.

Im working on fixing it so it will work in all.

And I think the speed is quite respectable, the touchpad is a 1.2 ghz ARM cpu, so to see civ 1, moo, etc to be somewhat playable is ok imo.
    i guess it has to do with how the mouse support was programmed by the programmers.
    most chess-programs with mouse do NOT work.

but CSTAL does. the cool thing about chess system tal is, that it plays very interesting sacrifycing chess. also it has database functions !!

there is a benchmark in CSTAL in the about box, performance button.

it says speed rating 752 and says this is 9% of a pentium 90.

so this would be 2092 german elo. or for the american USCF system 2292 ELO :-)
    there is also something very cool in CSTAL, that is that it shows the search tree in several ways while computing.

you can switch to 3D board , and you can change the style.

it also has permanent brain.

you can also solve chess puzzles...
    Last edited by mclane; 09/27/2011 at 09:01 AM.
    I've experimented something weird as I was trying to play Ishar through DosBox :
    To select language at the start of the game, we must press a number key, corresponding to which language we want to use.
    But, as I tried it, nothing happened. Fortunately, I have fond out what was causing this : the number key must be pressed with the numeric keyboard, not the numbers above the letters keys.
    So, do you think it could be possible to force the program to recognize number keys as the same thing whatever their origin ?
    For those playing around with it, can you please try 0.2.5 from the website?

XCOM, and the 'broken' games should now work if you double tap (holding the second tap for a little longer works better) and that should generate a left click. Looks like right click doesnt work in xcom with the fix. blargh

The "working" games (aka mom, moo) should still work the same.

Ive removed the swipe for the shift toggle.

And if anyone knows how to implement the keyboard from splashtop, i would do that.
    Last edited by grazzt; 09/30/2011 at 03:23 PM.
    For those playing around with it, can you please try 0.2.5 from the website?

XCOM, and the 'broken' games should now work if you double tap (holding the second tap for a little longer works better) and that should generate a left click. Looks like right click doesnt work in xcom with the fix. blargh

The "working" games (aka mom, moo) should still work the same.

Ive removed the swipe for the shift toggle.

And if anyone knows how to implement the keyboard from splashtop, i would do that.
    grazzt - First off, HUGE THANKS!! I have 0.2.5 working and I have the BT keyboard so all is good. I do get some screen "artifacts" but nothing I can't handle. I'm an old school player so I've tried Zork1, Ultima 3 (with the DosBox core slowed down), and Wiz1 so far. I have Bard's Tale and Pools of Radiance ready to test but haven't tried so far.

Again, thanks! I'll keep playing around with it.
    X-Com is still a little unresponsive to the double tap but it works a bit. Thank you for your effort!
    Ive gone back to basic just hold tap for x seconds to get right mouse button, and even that is screwing up xcom, so things are still weeeeeeeeiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

Ive posted on the dosbox forums, so maybe that will shed some new light.
    Hi,
    Could you give us the source code of your dosbox version ?
    I would like to try to understand how to get it working. I'm trying to compile dosbox but I can't get how to cross-compile (I don't understand how to generate configuration file on Windows).
    Since HP samples with Opengl are working, dosbox should also work with opengl...
    Thanks
    you can download the source code from the original post and see if you can get that to compile, as it will.

webOS is opengl-es so that's a 'problem'

I use linux to cross compile, so no idea how windows handles ./configure and all that.

once everything is working, full source will be provided (or if I give up lol)
    Actually, dosbox was working with OpenGL ES on the Palm Pre 2 so I think this isn't the real problem.
    Dosbox only use very few functions of OpenGL and these functions are in OpenGL ES too, aren't they ?
    The problem may be in the way render calls opengl library or something like that.
    Like Ive said in many posts, my expereience with opengl is close to zero.

My first guess is the palm pre2 dosbox version is using opegles1 which the toucphad needs? version 2? <shrug> lol

But like I said, you can take the source code in post #1 from the googlecode svn repos and compile it, and it will run on the touchpad, but you get the blackscreen. (so like you said, theres some sort of opengl "problem"). You may want to try ubuntu in a virtualbox session to make compiling life easier?

My "input" patches are fairly small, so its not like it will be hard to incorporate them.
    Anyone knows what this is?

message on touchpad quick launch bar:

"Touchpad recording. Press Sym+opt+w to stop"

I was using dosbox and typing through Bluetooth keyboard when this happened. What in the world is this? What is it recording?
    Ive made an .ipk at http://8.22.203.194/com.dosbox.nongl_0.1.0_all.ipk , but you still need a valid dosbox.conf in /media/internal (ive included a sample one).

Hopefully this ipk and clicking on nongl dosbox will at least load up dosbox.

If someone has a bt kb, can they see if dosbox is accepting input?
    Used you ipk and it works. It gave me the D: prompt. Thanks a lot!

BT keyboard works really well. BTW, the BT keyboard was from amazon for $7. Go get one.

How do I change the content within the image? If I want to add stuff from my old old old cd or hard drive, how can I do that? I mean to which folder (I know how to attach these drives to touchpad).

BTW, I am able to connect USB flash cards, IDE / ATA / SATA hard drives, and USB hard drives to the touchpad and use them directly with external power supply. So it will be extremely easy to load my old stuff from these sources (still have my old installation CDs )
    Another version on the website now, version 0.9.9.

This is basically for bluetooth keyboard owners, as there is no way to bring up the virtual keyboard now.

This adds options to the [sdl] section of dosbox.conf.

rightclick = int
    colon = int

where int is an integer corresponding to the keysym value you want to assign to a rightclick and colon.

By default, ` is rightclick, and ~ is colon.

This version works with all games (xcom, etc)

I only recommend this version for games that dont work with 0.2.1/0.2.5 aka XCOM.

Might be last version for a while.
    One thing I noticed so far is the arrow keys on the BT keyboard don't seem to work. Anybody else also seeing this and/or have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Greetings all! Got the good old discounted Touchpad a week ago and since then have been investigating what kind of fun I can have on it for free. Yes, Angry Birds and Solitaire are great. Yes, OpenTTD's buttons really are a bit too small to be useful here. This brought me to the Touchpad's SCUMMVM port and in turn I was led here in search of answers to questions such as "why does the screen just go black when I install the Preware DOSBOX?"

Thanks to the unique help of people in this very thread, I was able to circumvent that problem, and now have a very visible, correctly aligned DOSBox with no apparent working virtual keyboard, which inhibits the use of MS-DOS software more than a little as I don't have a Bluetooth one either. Was the on-screen keyboard ever part of this app? If so, was it disabled, and if so... how do I reinstate it? (Grazzt, this is my interpretation based on your remark "This is basically for bluetooth keyboard owners, as there is no way to bring up the virtual keyboard now.") I don't need a virtual keyboard to play Monkey Island in SCUMMVM, but I sure do need one to play Nibbles and Commander Keen in DOSBox 8) And really, having the autoexec be the only way to invoke programs is a bit inelegant 8)

I brought over an old installation of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 to see if graphically poking around could get me anywhere (here I am, surfing Win 3.x on my Touchpad... the future is here! Get me Minesweeper!) and the mouse movement was only vaguely related to my interaction with the screen... it's like (hm, hard to describe) every movement I make is exaggerated an extra 50%, so the mouse cursor moves across the entire screen after I've only moved my finger two thirds across it. This makes it very difficult to do things like click with any precision. (Is it reading my input like a Pre would but displaying graphic output like a touchpad?)

I appreciate that you guys are just a bunch of generous and helpful nerds who picked up the very promising project after some other generous and helpful nerds put it aside, that it's uncharted territory for us all, that nobody is paying anyone to do this unprecedented hacking in perhaps messy and undocumented code. (I also appreciate that you aren't all using this software on a touchpad.) I can't program my way out of a paper bag but I can at least try to report and describe problems that I experience. Having gotten the display working, I didn't see anyone describing precisely the problems I'd been experiencing (you bluetooth-keyboard-owners, you!) so I made an account for this forum just to step up here and represent a little. None of you may have helpful answers to my issues but someone else who stumbles across the thread on Google might, now that I've thrown in a few extra keywords describing my side of things.

In conclusion, thanks for all your hard work so far, and I hope that someone can hold my hand past these problems at such a time as they become addressed 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwashedMass View Post
    Greetings all! Got the good old discounted Touchpad a week ago and since then have been investigating what kind of fun I can have on it for free. Yes, Angry Birds and Solitaire are great. Yes, OpenTTD's buttons really are a bit too small to be useful here. This brought me to the Touchpad's SCUMMVM port and in turn I was led here in search of answers to questions such as "why does the screen just go black when I install the Preware DOSBOX?"

Thanks to the unique help of people in this very thread, I was able to circumvent that problem, and now have a very visible, correctly aligned DOSBox with no apparent working virtual keyboard, which inhibits the use of MS-DOS software more than a little as I don't have a Bluetooth one either. Was the on-screen keyboard ever part of this app? If so, was it disabled, and if so... how do I reinstate it? (Grazzt, this is my interpretation based on your remark "This is basically for bluetooth keyboard owners, as there is no way to bring up the virtual keyboard now.") I don't need a virtual keyboard to play Monkey Island in SCUMMVM, but I sure do need one to play Nibbles and Commander Keen in DOSBox 8) And really, having the autoexec be the only way to invoke programs is a bit inelegant 8)

I brought over an old installation of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 to see if graphically poking around could get me anywhere (here I am, surfing Win 3.x on my Touchpad... the future is here! Get me Minesweeper!) and the mouse movement was only vaguely related to my interaction with the screen... it's like (hm, hard to describe) every movement I make is exaggerated an extra 50%, so the mouse cursor moves across the entire screen after I've only moved my finger two thirds across it. This makes it very difficult to do things like click with any precision. (Is it reading my input like a Pre would but displaying graphic output like a touchpad?)

I appreciate that you guys are just a bunch of generous and helpful nerds who picked up the very promising project after some other generous and helpful nerds put it aside, that it's uncharted territory for us all, that nobody is paying anyone to do this unprecedented hacking in perhaps messy and undocumented code. (I also appreciate that you aren't all using this software on a touchpad.) I can't program my way out of a paper bag but I can at least try to report and describe problems that I experience. Having gotten the display working, I didn't see anyone describing precisely the problems I'd been experiencing (you bluetooth-keyboard-owners, you!) so I made an account for this forum just to step up here and represent a little. None of you may have helpful answers to my issues but someone else who stumbles across the thread on Google might, now that I've thrown in a few extra keywords describing my side of things.

In conclusion, thanks for all your hard work so far, and I hope that someone can hold my hand past these problems at such a time as they become addressed 8)
    Admittedly the virtual keyboard isn't important if I just want to play Master of Magic (well, not a bad idea 8) but I had more in mind installing the original Frotz interpreter for MS-DOS and playing Infocom text adventures and a decade of the amateur homebrew ones, hard to do with no keyboard.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast