Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    windows 95 required a virtual disk file. I created the disk, installed w95 under dosbox on my windows desktop machine and then imported the disk file to the touchpad. Issue the commands:

mount c /media/internal/dos/
    c:
    imgmount a c:\w95\w95.img
    boot a:

in dosbox.conf, allows a sort of internal reboot and start from the image... there's instructions for that kicking around the dosbox forum at vogons, but tbh it's a bugger to get right and not really worth it given the speed it runs at (even on 3.0.2, where you get about 10fps - on 3.0.4 it's actually so slow you can see the draw order of the window chrome in the 95 explorer UI About 45 seconds per frame! )
    Yeah, thats how I did win95 too, and it wouldnt boot properly, but then again, several versions of win95 out there, so maybe you picked a good one.

Whats the performance of 3.11 like? usable?

Yeah, dont get me going on 3.0.4....
    finally home!

Win3.11 is a totally usable speed. It's not fast, but it's no slower than I remember my actual 386 @ 20mhz with 4mb of ram being back in the day.

I've tried all the output modes, as well as fiddling with the windowresolution and fullresolution settings... those don't seem to do anything tho, presumably windowresoltuion isn't implemented becusae it wouldn't make sense.

Nothing I've tried has fixed it sadly, the same strange horizontal scaling (can move the mouse all the way accross the screen by only touching the center part of the screen) and vertical compression (can move my finger from the top to the bottom of the screen, but only move the mouse about half way) seems to be there in all modes. The only thing is the ammount of vertical compression seems to be inversely proportional to the resolution.
    Curious, how does the mouse react in win95?

if you know how to compile, you could add printf statements to see what dosbox thinks the x and y values are for both resolutions and mouse co-ordinates, might give an idea on whats wrong. Seeing as some pdl functionality have been messed up in 3.0.4, maybe the pdl screenmetrics also gets messed up. Beats me.

Hard to fix/debug things when youre not sure if the problems are the os, or your coding. :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    Curious, how does the mouse react in win95?

if you know how to compile, you could add printf statements to see what dosbox thinks the x and y values are for both resolutions and mouse co-ordinates, might give an idea on whats wrong. Seeing as some pdl functionality have been messed up in 3.0.4, maybe the pdl screenmetrics also gets messed up. Beats me.

Hard to fix/debug things when youre not sure if the problems are the os, or your coding. :-/
    is the mouse pointer on winblows 3.1 etc possibly a hardware sprite and treated different from the screen its on and causing weird stuff to occur ???

random guess.
    The win95 mouse is weird, but differently so. It seems to center a roughly 640x480 sized square on where you touched last, and then scale that to the whole screen, so first touch in the center of the screen, then the mouse moves more or less as you'd expect. If you let go, then the mouse re-centers on whereever you click next... in a way it's more useful, becuase at least you can get to the whole screen, but it is even more disorientating.

I'll sling GCC at one of my development boxes at work tomorrow and have a look through the source, but I've never written anything in C++, so it might be quicker for someone else to do it. I'm a web-dev, so really I just do javascript (Not a proper programmer.)

Edit!

Forgot to mention: I rolled webos back to 3.0.2 becuase 3.0.4 was causing so many issues, so assume for all future posts unless I say otherwise I'm working on 3.0.2
    Last edited by theotherjt; 11/21/2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Important Omission!
    Ok, the messing about I did with the dosbox conf last night screwed up win95 and made it crash on boot. I couldn't remember what I did, so I copied the conf file posted earlier in this thread and something interesting has occured.

Windows 95 mouse now works totally normally with one proviso:

You don't take your finger off the screen!

If you touch the screen somewhere where the pointer isnt, instead of moving the pointer there, the pointer stays where it is and all movements are relative to that point. This is easily countered by dragging it to a corner so it can't move until your finger and it line up again.

As long as the first touch is to touch the pointer it pretty much works. Visualise grabbing the pointer and dragging it around.

Windows 95 in this state is broadly speaking useable. It's not 100%, but it's not terrible either. It is still quite slow, roughly equivalent to running win95 on a 486 class machine i'd guess.

Grazzt: I've looked through the source, but I'm afraid it goes totally over my head, I just don't know where to being.
    ***, something I never tried, but with the current dosbox under 3.0.4, if you swipe up (or hit home button) to 'minimize it', then come back to it, the performance is back to normal and fixed?

can someone else try this?

Just tried it again, and yep, if you minimize it, and come back, its the performance of what it was under 3.0.2.

Looks like a 'minimize' might be needed everytime there is a resolution change.

Man, webos is one weeeeiiirrrdd os. lol

I have made a post on the dev forums, see if hp says anything.

oh, and I believe the mouse problem is that both 3.11 and 95 install their own mouse drivers, and that screws up the current mouse patches that are implemented. Certain games do that as well, like Theme Hospital. With theme hospital, the mouse now becomes an absolute pointer (almost sounds like whats happening to win95 above)
    Last edited by grazzt; 11/22/2011 at 08:50 AM.
    ***, something I never tried, but with the current dosbox under 3.0.4, if you swipe up (or hit home button) to 'minimize it', then come back to it, the performance is back to normal and fixed?

can someone else try this?

Just tried it again, and yep, if you minimize it, and come back, its the performance of what it was under 3.0.2.

Looks like a 'minimize' might be needed everytime there is a resolution change.

Man, webos is one weeeeiiirrrdd os. lol

I have made a post on the dev forums, see if hp says anything.

oh, and I believe the mouse problem is that both 3.11 and 95 install their own mouse drivers, and that screws up the current mouse patches that are implemented. Certain games do that as well, like Theme Hospital. With theme hospital, the mouse now becomes an absolute pointer (almost sounds like whats happening to win95 above)
    hmm the card/refocus to get it working if i recall was also needed for the bugs life game otherwise screen presses werent working on the main menu as well.

ill give thsi a try, damned weird if it works, still hope it does tho.

EDIT: Carded it twice and refocused and bam as u said, back to full speed.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 11/22/2011 at 11:54 AM.
    I have installed dosbox in ubuntuchroot - it works (after setting usescancodes=false and fixing the sound in the dosbox.conf ) is it any different (performance wise?) from the preware version?
    Im not sure, I really havent played with it in the chroot. Last time I used the chroot, it had problems with sdl apps using sound, so you would at least get 'native' sound using the normal version. I also assume the chroot version doesnt support multiple touches, so you would lose right clicking?

Maybe test out the two and report back if theres any real discrepancies.
    THX grazzt!

After i've read about the minimize curiosity i reinstalled DOSBox, and it works as described.
    Your port seems to be the fastest so far. (webOS, CM7, ubuntu chroot)
    Runs really good with some games.
    Unfortunately mouse input doesnt work at all, or is screwed up, in some of my favorite games. In gl dosbox that is. Not much better with nongl dosbox.

It would be great to have mouse input mode selection. (such as in AnDOSbox)

- is there interest in game compatibility postings? dont want to spam the thread.
    - maybe posting such things on grazzt.ca ?
    Emulation Uber Alles
    Ive pretty much accepted teh fact that input is never going to be good as it should be. At least with my level of coding.

I still have some things to try, but dont really expect much from it.

Havent played with android dosbox for a while, but I seem to remember its dosbox being pretty much the same quality, although, much more user friendly and having a 'better' input. Wish webos would allow its developers to use the volume rocker button, that would fix some things.

Not sure about a compability list, I dont think many people even use this, so if you want to post more games that have weird issues, then go ahead. Hell, it might be easier just to post games that dont have weird issues. lol

And the thread I started about the opengl bug.... still no responses. So whether its known, or will be fixed, or whatever, "who knows"... A pretty common statement for webos lately.
    Okay, newbee question: How do I open the virtual keyboard in order to type in dosbox? Is the only hope a bluetooth keyboard?

A pointer to an *****'s guide to Dosbox on the Touchpad would be great as googling does not seem to help
    Quote Originally Posted by Brussels View Post
    Okay, newbee question: How do I open the virtual keyboard in order to type in dosbox? Is the only hope a bluetooth keyboard?

A pointer to an *****'s guide to Dosbox on the Touchpad would be great as googling does not seem to help
    2 finger swipe up = virtual keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    2 finger swipe up = virtual keyboard.
    Thank you thank you
    assuming this is using SDL, a common problem with apps in 3.0.4, is multiple calls to SDL_Init being used in an app, when there should be just a single call that passes a byte with all the proper bits being set. Calling SDL_Init multiple times will break things.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    sdl_init was one of the first things I checked, and the sdl_init problems generally causes no audio problems (like n64emu had), and thats not the problem dosbox has.

And only one sdl_init is called anyways.

But thanks for the suggestion.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Dosbox didnt work on my Pre3. It start with a black screen and ends after a few seconds.
    Any solution?
    sdl_init was one of the first things I checked, and the sdl_init problems generally causes no audio problems (like n64emu had), and thats not the problem dosbox has.

And only one sdl_init is called anyways.

But thanks for the suggestion.
    Hey All - I'm still working on the arrow key issue (on the bluetooth keyboard) when I can. I can't get the mapper to start no matter what I do, I only get a segmentation fault. I tried to PM grahm but no response so far. Is there anybody out there that has the keymapper working AND a BT keyboard that could generate a good keymapper file for the arrow keys?

Grazzt - I noticed there is now a preware patch to add arrow keys to virtual keyboard and the OP also lists the scan codes they used. Here is the scan codes they used. Would this help you code them into a BT keyboard version?

DIY KEY CODES:
    For advanced users that know how to and want to modify their own keyboard layout files here are the known control key codes. They are all Type = "S". At this time I have tested all codes up to 0033 and this is all I have found that was useful. I am still looking for cut/copy/paste functionality.

0001 Tab
    0003 Backspace
    0004 Enter
    0010 Home
    0011 End
    0012 Left Arrow
    0013 Up Arrow
    0014 Right Arrow
    0015 Down Arrow
    0016 Page Up
    0017 Page Down
    0020 Shift