1.    #1  
    Last edited by fraseringermany; 10/02/2013 at 03:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Rather than a 'webOS' app, maybe you should look into making a multi platform app using PhoneGap and a framework like Jo HTML5 Mobile App Framework ?
    Very interesting idea OP... I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but if you are using an exchange account for work (not sure if you are), I wonder if app data could be tied to those credentials for security.
    1) Not that difficult, compared to many applications. Take some time to think about how you would want to update the information that is provided to the users, where it will be stored, and what servers you'll use to access it on the device. Then, build out your web services and application from there.

2) We use web services to verify user credentials and then only provide the data to those that are logged in. On top of that you could distribute it via the web or beta feeds and opting to not have them included in the feeds. In that way only the people that you send the link would be able to install it, but you could still provide updates like a standard app in the catalog. Technically speaking, though, anyone could guess the app id and then get the application via the appredirect url. Therefor, if you don't want to use credential based authorization but still want full enterprise security for your data the safest way to do it would be to install the app manually to each phone so that you have full control over who gets the app. Updates would be harder to push out, though. It all depends on how confidential you want to keep your sales records.

You could use an exchange account to authorize users, that's how we do all of our users' credentials, however you'd have to set up your web services to connect to an AD server or similar to verify them.
    Well, you can check the thread of the guy who got an app set up in 20 minutes:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...y-minutes.html

I don't think it would be very hard at all. In technical terms, you would have to run an Ajax request to fetch data from the server that has the report data. When you fetch that data, you can use the HTML5 Canvas to draw charts. The Palm developer blog had a nice article on that a while back:

Drawing Charts in webOS Apps Using HTML Canvas | Palm Developer Center Blog

To restrict access, you should implement a login. When a user logs in, the server stores a session token or ID or whatever method you want to use to identify users, and anytime that the app makes an AJAX request, compare session tokens to see if the user is authorized to receive that data.
    I'd suggest making a Web version first, then migrate to webOS second. You will most likely need to use AJAX, so I'd brush on up that if you've got a good handle on HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

You do want to start with the 'Hello World!' app on HP/Palm's development site. Of course, you could then move to my tutorials (see sig) to pick up a bit more information.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I am a developing newbie, but it sounds like you just need to figure out a Widget that updates from a data feed.

This book from Amazon.com is what I bought to have an idea of it all:
    Amazon.com: Developing Web Widget with HTML, CSS, JSON and AJAX: A Complete Guide to Web Widget (9781450502283): Rajesh Lal, Lakshmi C Chava: Books

Get the idea figured out, and then it shouldn't be too hard to do in WebOS. The Palm WebOS Projects book on Amazon is good for help, too. It doesn't use Ares though, unfortunately.
    I'm really jazzed to hear that all the OP's managers and departments heads have Pre2 phones!

That's a great story for seeing Palm successful in the enterprise market!