Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Now that we know Playbook can run android apps, can't we have something similar for WebOS? Can't we get some Homebrew solution that works across all versions of WebOS?

It might not be as good as something developed for WebOS, but we will get access to lot more apps for all apps hungry people.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    Now that we know Playbook can run android apps, can't we have something similar for WebOS? Can't we get some Homebrew solution that works across all versions of WebOS?

It might not be as good as something developed for WebOS, but we will get access to lot more apps for all apps hungry people.
    The way i read it on Engadget is that there is some work that the app developers need to do in order for them to work on the Playbook. I think that BlackBerry must have developed some kind of easy way for android apps to be ported, but each will need to be individually done.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    The way i read it on Engadget is that there is some work that the app developers need to do in order for them to work on the Playbook. I think that BlackBerry must have developed some kind of easy way for android apps to be ported, but each will need to be individually done.
    Thanks for the info, if you read the comments on Engadget...they make sound like you buy a Playbook and magic you have an Android tablet. Either way, from what you said it sounds like more what HP and Palm has done to make migrating Apple IOS apps over to webOS using their PDK interface.

Scary how misleading press releases can be and I can't wait to see how great the Playbook really is. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 03/24/2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Support for Adobe AIR would be better than Android app support - from a developer's perspective.

Android and Playbook both have Adobe AIR support already, in fact I put together a picasa search app and launched it successfully on both my Android tablet and the Playbook emulatior without any changes to the code. AIR support would give us a "build-once-run-anywhere" platform to work on, which is very desirable in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    That's no competition then. Probably not every app will be ported. But can webOS have any way that these apps can run without much hassle - like an emulator or something?
    BBOS apps are done in Java, and Android's Dalvik is Java based... so you can migrate apps from one to another, if they provide tools to do it.

But that doesn't mean they're going to do it, as we've seen here.
    Newness Developments apps:

this would be awsome, best of both worlds, run android apps on webos and be done with it
    Most probably, playbook will be running an emulator under the os, the virtualize the apps.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    in progress over at xda:

[ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread - xda-developers

from what I understood, the playbook uses a dalvik emulator