Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

*NEW* Second Video Preview:

The public beta is now available: http://jnewc.net/blog/?p=108

Simple FTP Client is an upcoming app for webOS. It has a range of features allowing you to interact cleanly with FTP servers so that you can upload files from your device, and download files to it - amongst other features such as renaming, deleting, and generally maintaining files.

It uses a node.jsjsjs $services$ $for$ $connections$ $and$ $plays$ $nice$ $with$ $apps$ $while$ $maitaining$ $reasonable$ $download$ $speeds$ ($even$ $over$ $GPRS$/$3G$!)

UPDATE: No longer limited to UNIX servers.

I will be opening a private beta soon, so watch this space for more details.

(EDIT: This is webOS 2.0+ only)

NOTES 2011-03-25

There will be no SFTP support, and no initial FTPS support - see here for reasons.

UPDATE 2011-04-06

Check out Arthur Thornton's awesome preview of Simple FTP Client over at webOSroundup:

http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/04/...le-ftp-client/
    Last edited by semprance; 04/06/2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Updating information
    This is great! Looking good. Willing to beta test when you're ready.
    looks cool, i was waiting for a ftpclient for a long time cant wait to try it.
    i would love to beta test if you need help. im running 2.1 on my original pre and have linux and osx servers to try to connect to.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    This looks awesome! Unfortunately my home FTP server is a Win FileZilla server. Looking forward to non-*nix compatibility.

EDIT: I would love to beta test for you though. I do have access to LINUX ftp sites.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by robnhl; 03/19/2011 at 09:39 AM.
    This looks great I would love to try this. All of my FTP servers are Linux. I am running 2.1 on a pre- and will be receiving a Pre 2 very soon.
    IIIxe -> Handera 330 -> Tungsten C -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre-, Pre2 & Touchpad 32

http://about.me/robert.whisler
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    You should let PreCentral do an app preview. This has been long needed by many users.

Excellent idea. I can help you test it if needed.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Great addition to the app catalog, can't wait. Hope your next project is a nice SSH client!!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandman8 View Post
    This is great! Looking good. Willing to beta test when you're ready.
    A private beta will be available as soon as the remaining features have been implemented and are fairly stable.

Quote Originally Posted by robnhl View Post
    This looks awesome! Unfortunately my home FTP server is a Win FileZilla server. Looking forward to non-*nix compatibility.
    I've been playing around with a windows server the last two days. It's very similar to unix so I'll be working on support for it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by robnhl View Post
    You should let PreCentral do an app preview. This has been long needed by many users.
    If they're interested in doing a review they're more than welcome to.

Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Great addition to the app catalog, can't wait. Hope your next project is a nice SSH client!!
    Someone on twitter suggested SFTP, so maybe SFTP+SCP with an SSH command line? Who knows! Still, I'm keeping focused on the FTP Client for now ;-)

Thanks for the great response everybody. The beta will be available in the next few weeks (I hope!) so keep an eye out here, or follow me on twitter if you want to hear about it first :-)
    Will this be a paid app?
    Last edited by pcworld; 03/27/2011 at 01:04 PM.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
  11.    #11  
    Yes it will, apart from when it is in beta - although it is unlikely I will release a public beta.
  12.    #12  
    Just added a video preview to the first post. Enjoy :-)
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Will the location be able to be mapped to a windows network?
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
  14.    #14  
    Do you mean mapping as a drive letter or folder in Windows? Or something else?
    A recent article on the PC home page showed that WebOS might have its own built-in ftp client. http://www.precentral.net/hp-plannin...-ftp-app-webos

That news might put a cramp on what semprance can charge for his client.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    @swieder:
    This app has no functionality and was in 1.4.5 and older versions too...
    There will be never a real FTP client from HP, at least not pre-installed
    Last edited by pcworld; 03/27/2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    I seriously can't imagine why a consumer phone will come with FTP preinstalled. Therefore, this FTP client as a download on the app catalog makes a lot more sense. Great job Semprance!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    A recent article on the PC home page showed that WebOS might have its own built-in ftp client. HP planning native FTP app for webOS? | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

That news might put a cramp on what semprance can charge for his client.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I seriously can't imagine why a consumer phone will come with FTP preinstalled. Therefore, this FTP client as a download on the app catalog makes a lot more sense. Great job Semprance!
    Thanks all. I actually started exploring my Pre 2 before Christmas and found that app, tested it, and found that it was mostly non-functional - in particular it didn't exhibit any behaviour that suggested it was an FTP client. I'm honestly shocked this has only turned up in the news now as I've known about it for months (Coincidentally I actually telnet'd my first FTP commands using node.jsjsjs $shortly$ $after$ $the$ $discovery$).

I'm even more shocked that it has been blown up to the point where people are expecting an official FTP client, particularly as webOS is planned to have much more advanced file transfer and syncing solutions in the future.

More details soon, redesigning the interface at the moment ;-)
  19.    #19  
    Hi all,

I need some feedback about a few design choices that I'm yet to decide on. Here's a few notes about how development is going so far, and some questions about your needs:

NOTES

SFTP Support - This isn't going to happen. FTP and SFTP simply aren't related - as file transfer protocols go, they are very different to the point where I would effectively be compiling two apps into one. It is more likely that I (or another developer) will make a separate app for SFTP in the future.

FTPS and FTPES - I would very much like to support these versions of FTP (which are directly derived from it unlike SFTP) in the future but this won't happen right now (read the next note for more details).

Node.jsjsjs $Version$ - webOS is running a fairly old version of node which may not be backwards compatible with future versions. For this reason, it would be foolish of me to support FTP(E)S when SSL is dealt with so differently in future versions.

Your FTP Needs

First, does anyone still use Active transfers (PORT method)? If you don't know what this means then it is probably of little concern to you. If you definitely need this and are planning on purchasing the app on release, let me know. Active support is possible, but it is not as simple as Passive (PASV), and a little more resource intensive, but relatively simple to implement.

Second, how many of you require non-unix/windows support? After some initial testing, Windows servers and unix legacy servers appear to work fine, but some obscure types may not (although I'm yet to encounter one).

That's all for now, I'll post more questions as I think of them.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    Hi all,

I need some feedback about a few design choices that I'm yet to decide on. Here's a few notes about how development is going so far, and some questions about your needs:

NOTES

SFTP Support - This isn't going to happen. FTP and SFTP simply aren't related - as file transfer protocols go, they are very different to the point where I would effectively be compiling two apps into one. It is more likely that I (or another developer) will make a separate app for SFTP in the future.

FTPS and FTPES - I would very much like to support these versions of FTP (which are directly derived from it unlike SFTP) in the future but this won't happen right now (read the next note for more details).

Node.jsjsjs $Version$ - webOS is running a fairly old version of node which may not be backwards compatible with future versions. For this reason, it would be foolish of me to support FTP(E)S when SSL is dealt with so differently in future versions.

Your FTP Needs

First, does anyone still use Active transfers (PORT method)? If you don't know what this means then it is probably of little concern to you. If you definitely need this and are planning on purchasing the app on release, let me know. Active support is possible, but it is not as simple as Passive (PASV), and a little more resource intensive, but relatively simple to implement.

Second, how many of you require non-unix/windows support? After some initial testing, Windows servers and unix legacy servers appear to work fine, but some obscure types may not (although I'm yet to encounter one).

That's all for now, I'll post more questions as I think of them.
    I cannot think of a current use case of mine where active transfer is required. I will be perfectly happy with passive.

Likewise, I don't require non-unix/windows support. Each server I use is either Linux or Windows based.

I am quite eager for this app to release. I'm hopeful that you will release a version to the Palm Webfeed that those of us running 2.1 on non-official devices can purchase it. Sadly, the App Catalog does not allow buying anything identified as 2.0 required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast