1.    #1  
    ... on webOS.

Is it reasonable to have an expectation that there will be apps like these on webOS mobile devices.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-...os-2011-3?op=1

I just ordered a Palm Pre 2 and had a Palm Pre-, but I have yet to see anything to suggest that the webOS platform and development environment (PDK, Mojo, hybrid, Enyo) readily support these types of applications.

If my impression is right, then the future outlook is bleak for not just the app count on webOS, but the types and richness in app experiences.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Sadly no....only the Pre3 has a compass but it lacks a gyroscope for absolute precision like the apps in that article. In my opinion the lack of a gyroscope is a big disappointment and over site from HP
    Augmented reality apps do Not need a gyroscope.. Hmmm... Does the 3GS support AR apps? Yup... Does it have a gyroscope? Nope!

Update: in fact I had an Ar app on my treo 650/700/755, shoot aliens in your house
    I think a more basic question here is do developers even have camera access yet?

Who else remembers this presentation: webOS to get mic, camera API, faster services, plenty more by fall | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

I'm assuming these APIs are finally in webOS 2.x but still under NDA? We have voice recording apps now, but as far as I know, nothing that takes full advantage of the camera without some sort of backdoor workaround.
    We'll find out later this week, which is when Palm promised to release the 2.0 SDK from NDA (but then we all know their track record with promises).

Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Augmented reality apps do Not need a gyroscope.. Hmmm... Does the 3GS support AR apps? Yup... Does it have a gyroscope? Nope!

Update: in fact I had an Ar app on my treo 650/700/755, shoot aliens in your house
    I said for precision, here is a demo why the gyroscope improves on the compass
    watch closely

iPhone 4 Augmented Reality with Gyroscope – iPhone 4 Vs iPhone 3GS | Daily iPhone Blog
    Meh, I think having the option for reduced-precision AR is better than having no AR at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Are augmented reality apps feasible...... on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Sadly no....

I said for precision, here is a demo why the gyroscope improves on the compass
    watch closely

iPhone 4 Augmented Reality with Gyroscope – iPhone 4 Vs iPhone 3GS | Daily iPhone Blog
    when you start off your answer as sadly NO.. umm that means No.. you didnt specifiy that while the the pre3 with a compass would be able to do AR apps or the Touchpad with compass AND Gyroscope will be able too.. but you'd rather see a gyro on the pre3 as well since its more precise..

you said

Sadly no....only the Pre3 has a compass but it lacks a gyroscope for absolute precision like the apps in that article. In my opinion the lack of a gyroscope is a big disappointment and over site from HP
    that response is not as precise as what i just wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Touchpad with compass AND Gyroscope will be able too
    You would only be able to do front-facing AR, though (unless those images with a rear camera on the Touchpad mean that they added it late in development).