Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ever since I got the Palm Pre 2, I've been aching for a working, hassle free, terminal app. Since there were none available, I started to create my own.

I've only tested this with my Palm Pre 2. Since this is still work in progress, feel free to post bugs encountered or feature requests in this thread. This app grants you root access to your phone, so be careful what you do.

SDLTerminal is meant to be lightweight and works out of the box. There are no prerequisites, everything you need is setup in the postinst script and included in the ipk.

SDLTerminal is licensed under GPLv3. The source code can be viewed with SVN at http://www.whimsicalvee.com/svn/webos/sdlterminal.

TODO
    * Copy and Paste
    * Help page
    * Experiment with SDK 2.1

Change Log

* Fix password prompt in SSH.
    * Fix "Return" key when key modifiers are held.

* Added color support.
    * Allowed "Return" key to be pressed when key modifiers are held.
    * Fix scrolling with margins (better support for nano, still not perfect).

* Fix login.
    * Fix terminal cursor mode (cursor keys did not work in nano).
    * Added key modifier locking.
    * Added configuration file (experimental).
    * Added key binding for '^'.

* Fixed characters disappearing when moving cursor.
    * Added key modifier toggling.

* Initial release.

Key bindings:

SYM + b = <
    SYM + h = [
    SYM + j = ]
    SYM + n = >
    SYM + o = ~
    SYM + q = ESC
    SYM + t = TAB
    SYM + u = }
    SYM + y = {
    SYM + x = |
    SYM + z = \
    SYM + l = `
    SYM + p = ^

SYM + w = UP
    SYM + a = LEFT
    SYM + s = DOWN
    SYM + d = RIGHT

Hold Screen + [A-Z] = CTRL + [A-Z]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vinnyh; 04/07/2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: New version: 1.0.4
    Have you seen Terminus ? Perhaps you would like to collaborate with the author of Terminus, since it's an open source SDL Terminal too ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    good app! but it has bug: sym+a hides entered characters. and hotkeys with orange modifier hard to use, terminal must memorize orange keystroke (IMHO).
    Sorry for my English =)
    Is this limited to 2.x devices? I'm not clear what SDL is.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Is this limited to 2.x devices? I'm not clear what SDL is.
    SDL is a portable drawing library. If this program is written in pure SDL (via PDK), it should run on WebOS 1.4.5+. Only trying it or word from the author would clarify this.

For 1.4.5, Terminal from Preware works fine.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    SDL is a portable drawing library. If this program is written in pure SDL (via PDK), it should run on WebOS 1.4.5+. Only trying it or word from the author would clarify this.

For 1.4.5, Terminal from Preware works fine.
    Thank you. I have terminal and I was just curious. I know Terminus is SDL based also and I have had problems with it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamil View Post
    good app! but it has bug: sym+a hides entered characters. and hotkeys with orange modifier hard to use, terminal must memorize orange keystroke (IMHO).
    Thanks! I made the input scheme quickly to have a working app. I'll improve it
    @vinnyh: Great work!
    Would be nice if I hadn't to press the option key and another at the same time, so that I only would need to press the option key and after that another key, like in other SDK-apps.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Have you seen Terminus ? Perhaps you would like to collaborate with the author of Terminus, since it's an open source SDL Terminal too ...

-- Rod
    I'm not familiar with the EFL framework and not confident on how forward compatible it is. So, I've just decided to write one from scratch using only SDL and POSIX compatible APIs. I find that most apps break on webOS 2.x is because the author uses external libraries or undocumented APIs.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the feedback pcworld, Xamil! I updated the app to support toggling key modifiers and fixed the cursor movement issue.
    Just installed on my PreMinus 2.1.0. Very nice. Thanks a lot, vinnyh!

But I'd rather like SYM+I as a key binding for Tab, like in all the other terminal apps. Oh, just found out - CTRL+I works as expected. Creates Tab. Any reason for making SYM+I work different?

And navigation with numeric keys (i. e. SYM+R: up, SYM+C: down, SYM+D: left, SYM+G: right) feels more intuitive to me.

Any plans for cut & paste?

Regards

Carsten
    Last edited by ZehHa; 03/18/2011 at 03:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyh View Post
    Thanks for the feedback pcworld, Xamil! I updated the app to support toggling key modifiers and fixed the cursor movement issue.
    Thank you, works great!
    But there's something strange: When I type in commands like "ipkg-opt" or "nano", it's outputted that these commands wouldn't exist - see attached screenshot. Via novaterm or Terminus there's no problem.
    Any ideas? Thank you!

Btw, copy&paste would be great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Thank you, works great!
    But there's something strange: When I type in commands like "ipkg-opt" or "nano", it's outputted that these commands wouldn't exist - see attached screenshot. Via novaterm or Terminus there's no problem.
    Any ideas? Thank you!

I think this is because the user being used is still using the jailer configuration somehow. Try switching to root (e.g. 'su') first then run your commands. If that solves your problem, I think I know how to fix it in the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyh View Post
    I think this is because the user being used is still using the jailer configuration somehow. Try switching to root (e.g. 'su') first then run your commands.
    su doesn't work. Maybe editing the jailer configuration file?
    Thank you, works great!
    Any ideas? Thank you!

While in each type of terminal type in:

echo $PATH <enter>

Then compare the output.
  16.    #16  
    Hmm, I don't have any optware on my pre 2. I'll test it tonight, hopefully it's an easy fix :P
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    Just installed on my PreMinus 2.1.0. Very nice. Thanks a lot, vinnyh!

But I'd rather like SYM+I as a key binding for Tab, like in all the other terminal apps. Oh, just found out - CTRL+I works as expected. Creates Tab. Any reason for making SYM+I work different?

And navigation with numeric keys (i. e. SYM+R: up, SYM+C: down, SYM+D: left, SYM+G: right) feels more intuitive to me.

Any plans for cut & paste?

Regards

Carsten
    Hi Carsten. Personally, I find that I'm typing symbols more than CTRL characters. So I remapped the SYM key to enter custom characters and tapping the screen for CTRL. I'm actually working on a way to remap keys via a configuration file. So you can customize it to cater your needs.

Copy and paste would be useful, I'll definitely try to implement it.
    Adding to the wish list: Caps Lock, Sym Lock, Alt (Orange) Lock, Ctrl Lock. Just as the standard in other apps: One press - toggles status for just the next keypress, pressing twice - toggle stays on until the next time pressing Caps/Sym/Alt/Ctrl. It comes in handy e. g. when typing longer numbers.

Thanks a lot!

Another idea: Tap in gesture area for Ctrl instead of tap on screen? Leaves the option of using tap on screen for highlighting text (later - with c&p...)

Regards

Carsten
    Last edited by ZehHa; 03/19/2011 at 11:40 AM.
  19.    #19  
    su doesn't work. Maybe editing the jailer configuration file?
    I found the problem, it's the way I'm logging into the shell.

run this command after launching SDLTerminal:

login -froot

This will properly log you in as root. I'll fix this and add key locking/config in the next version.
    i confirm that "login -froot" solving for me problem with root profile and optware.
    tested on O2 Pre- 2.1meta
    thanks for the application
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast