Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    ok i give it up.

every minute i waste my time to get 20-30 years old computer features on this 2011 computer called "touchpad" i fell more and more in love with my windows.

btw. friend of mine (also a linux noob) tries to install ati driver on ubuntu for 3 weeks now
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    ok i give it up.

every minute i waste my time to get 20-30 years old computer features on this 2011 computer called "touchpad" i fell more and more in love with my windows.

btw. friend of mine (also a linux noob) tries to install ati driver on ubuntu for 3 weeks now

I can't say that I agree with, or even begin to understand, the choices available to you TouchPad users for an on-device terminal, but I'm also in no position to complain (not a dev and don't own a TouchPad - nor do I want even more kicked-to-the-curb devices from Palm). Of all the devices, the TouchPad seems to be the best choice for a simple and quick Terminal (full keyboard FTW!). The giant XServer/Xecutah/XTerm monstrosity is the best you got right now.

Tell your friend that he wasted his money on an ATI card. Their drivers, for ANY platform/OS, have always been problematic and crap. I've been using nVidia cards exclusively for *many* years now. In my ~12 year history with Linux as my main Desktop, I've had only an infant's handful of problems and none of them have been in the past 5 or 6 years. nVidia is the only way to fly.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Of all the devices, the TouchPad seems to be the best choice for a simple and quick Terminal (full keyboard FTW!).
    I still think the Terminal app for webOS 1.4.5 is the best and has the most features.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I still think the Terminal app for webOS 1.4.5 is the best and has the most features.
    Yep, and if someone can debug why it crashes on every single webOS version since 1.4.5 we could have it back again ...

There are things which would be nice to have, and then there are things which actually work. Make your choice

Xecutah is the *only* terminal solution which works on *all* webOS versions and *all* webOS devices. It's also open source, so anyone is welcome to contribute to it to make it better ...

-- Rod
    I've updated SDLTerminal to make it work on the touchpad and was able to get it to launch as root utilizing the service provided by xecutah.

My question is now what to do with it? I've tried contacting the original author via pm here, but haven't heard anything.

Should I create a project on google code or something and upload my changes there?
    Quote Originally Posted by uranys View Post
    I've updated SDLTerminal to make it work on the touchpad and was able to get it to launch as root utilizing the service provided by xecutah.

My question is now what to do with it? I've tried contacting the original author via pm here, but haven't heard anything.

Should I create a project on google code or something and upload my changes there?
    Can you post your changes here so we can test them?

-- Rod
    Rob,

Sure, i've attached a zip with the sources.

I placed pre/post install scripts in the control folder as i've seen in other apps but they don't seem to execute upon install. What else do I need to do to get them to work?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files
    nm, found the ipk packager.

Attached is a working package for the touchpad, change the extension to .ipk to install.

Use at your own risk.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    nm, found the ipk packager.

Attached is a working package for the touchpad, change the extension to .ipk to install.

Use at your own risk.
    This won't install for me. Preware installs it successfully, but the icon never shows up, and it doesn't show up in the installed app list.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I get "palm-install: install failed with status: FAILED_IPKG_INSTALL" when I try installing with palm-install.
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42
    This won't install for me. Preware installs it successfully, but the icon never shows up, and it doesn't show up in the installed app list.
    How are you installing it via preware? Copying it to the device and using a file manager to launch preware?

I tested it using the sdk and palm-install, haven't tried preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31
    I get "palm-install: install failed with status: FAILED_IPKG_INSTALL" when I try installing with palm-install.
    Do you have xecutah installed? This package depends on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When you can find the author, he can fix that. Have you reported it to him?

-- Rod

He hasn't been logged in at P|C since July 12th. I think he's gone. Fork time!

M.
    Same here. Downloaded on TP, changed extension and opened with Internalz. Preware is installing forever.
    So downloading directly to the device doesn't work. Until I get a chance to create a project somewhere I recommend downloading to a computer and installing via palm-install or webosquickinstall.
    I've created a project at google code and verified that the package can be installed directly on the device from there.

Due to form restrictions, I can't post a link to it, but it's at http: //sdlterminal.googlecode.com/files/com.veeho.sdlterminal_1.0.5_armv7.ipk (cut & past into location bar and remove space after the colon)
    I've created a project at google code and verified that the package can be installed directly on the device from there.

Due to form restrictions, I can't post a link to it, but it's at http: //sdlterminal.googlecode.com/files/com.veeho.sdlterminal_1.0.5_armv7.ipk (cut & past into location bar and remove space after the colon)
    I can confirm that. Working terminal on my touchpad with this package. Nice!

Does this version still work on webOS 2.* though?

M.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Does not work for me:

# ipkg install com.veeho.sdlterminal_1.0.5_armv7.ipk
    Begin installation of com.veeho.sdlterminal
    Installing com.veeho.sdlterminal (1.0.5) to root...
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for com.veeho.sdlterminal:
    org.webosinternals.xecutah

I have Xecutah installed via preware. It seems this package needs a different version of it?

Apart from that - same problem as others reported (Pre3) - program does not start, /var/log/messages reports some errors.

I find XTerm extremely inconvenient, so has anyone found a better solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbert View Post
    Does not work for me:

# ipkg install com.veeho.sdlterminal_1.0.5_armv7.ipk
    Begin installation of com.veeho.sdlterminal
    Installing com.veeho.sdlterminal (1.0.5) to root...
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for com.veeho.sdlterminal:
    org.webosinternals.xecutah

I have Xecutah installed via preware. It seems this package needs a different version of it?

Apart from that - same problem as others reported (Pre3) - program does not start, /var/log/messages reports some errors.

I find XTerm extremely inconvenient, so has anyone found a better solution?

Because you didn't specify an offline root.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 09/19/2011 at 08:03 PM.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast