Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    EDIT:
    You're right. XTerm can't be run directly. You have to start X and all that first... Sorry for the misinformation in your Inbox...

There's a couple XTerm packages in Preware (now that I'm looking). One is dated July 16th, so I can only assume that it's current enough to Just Work (tm). It's worth a shot. It should put a pretty "terminal" icon in the launcher but yes, it'll be firing up X and all that to do so...

M.
    The Xterm you're mentioning would be version 0.7.2. If you start that up directly, it just shows a screen mentioning it can't be run directly. It states that you must run executah , and use that to run the Xserver and other X Windows system apps (and as it seems: Xterm).

--> that's why I stated all the steps in the post above, as a contrast with a direct terminal a la SDLterminal / Terminus.
    Quote Originally Posted by R00tM0nk View Post
    The Xterm you're mentioning would be version 0.7.2. If you start that up directly, it just shows a screen mentioning it can't be run directly. It states that you must run executah , and use that to run the Xserver and other X Windows system apps (and as it seems: Xterm).

--> that's why I stated all the steps in the post above, as a contrast with a direct terminal a la SDLterminal / Terminus.
    Thank you for setting me straight on this.

M.
    Just trying to see what SDLterminal is doing when starting up.

/var/palm/data/jailusers reads the follwing for SDLterminal:
    Code:
    6768:5000:com.veeho.sdlterminal:/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.veeho.sdlterminal:/etc/jail_native-palm.conf
    /var/log/messages reads:
    Code:
    2011-08-22T04:38:17.321960Z [23105] webos-device user.info jailer[8916]: jailer device type: mantaray
    2011-08-22T04:38:17.322448Z [23105] webos-device user.info jailer[8916]: Overriding APPDIR with command line: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.veeho.sdlterminal
    2011-08-22T04:38:17.324005Z [23105] webos-device user.info jailer[8916]: com.veeho.sdlterminal entering pdk jail
    2011-08-22T04:38:17.324554Z [23105] webos-device user.info jailer[8916]: Enter jail com.veeho.sdlterminal
    2011-08-22T04:38:17.325988Z [23105] webos-device user.debug jailer[8916]: run-time commands
    2011-08-22T04:38:17.326355Z [23105] webos-device user.debug jailer[8916]: RUNTIME CMDS
    2011-08-22T04:38:17.351593Z [23105] webos-device kern.info kernel: [23105.169891] minicore_launch: CRASH! jailer(8916) received 11. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.
    2011-08-22T04:38:17.351867Z [23105] webos-device kern.warning kernel: [23105.169921] minicore_launch: minicore attached!
    euhmm.. PDK_jail??

Terminus also showed some weird jail messages.. Like trying the game jail, for which it didn't have a line in jailusers...
    Unless I didn't understand it correctly, your solution (which works - granted) has me opening Xecutah, tapping Xserver, getting back to Xecutah, tapping Xterm, tapping to get to Xterm window to get a terminal window. 'Cause I can;t start xterm directly.

Yes, the above does work. It's just that I like to tap a terminal icon and go! I can do that on pre-, even on WebOs 2.1 (with Terminus).

But if that's no longer possible on 2.2 / a pre3, it'll have to do.

Anyway, thanx for the answer
    Where are you getting these apps "Xecutah, Xserver, Xterm"? I don't see these in the Preware feeds I have and have not been able to find the dev preware feeds.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclic View Post
    Where are you getting these apps "Xecutah, Xserver, Xterm"? I don't see these in the Preware feeds I have and have not been able to find the dev preware feeds.

Thanks!
    In the testing feeds
    Got it running now with your links.

thank you for the quick response. I didn't add the all packages url so I wasn't getting the full list.

I'm on the TouchPad and it looks good so far. Do you think we should be concerned about the wheel stuff?
    First of all, thanks for writing and releasing SDL Terminal. I can't wait to get it working!

I get the same problem as R00tM0nk. My /var/log/messages file shows that minicore_launch reports a "CRASH!":

2011-08-22T23:06:57.853427Z [1622] webos-device user.info jailer[8185]: jailer device type: topaz
    2011-08-22T23:06:57.853605Z [1622] webos-device user.info jailer[8185]: Overriding APPDIR with command line: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.veeho.sdlterminal
    2011-08-22T23:06:57.860999Z [1622] webos-device user.info jailer[8185]: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.veeho.sdlterminal/jail_app.conf not found
    2011-08-22T23:06:57.862465Z [1622] webos-device user.info jailer[8185]: com.veeho.sdlterminal entering pdk jail
    2011-08-22T23:06:57.862637Z [1622] webos-device user.info jailer[8185]: Enter jail com.veeho.sdlterminal
    2011-08-22T23:06:57.862729Z [1622] webos-device user.debug jailer[8185]: run-time commands
    2011-08-22T23:06:57.863212Z [1622] webos-device user.debug jailer[8185]: RUNTIME CMDS
    2011-08-22T23:06:57.883300Z [1622] webos-device kern.info kernel: [ 1622.085317] minicore_launch: CRASH! jailer(8185) received 11. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.
    2011-08-22T23:06:57.897600Z [1622] webos-device kern.warning kernel: [ 1622.108175] minicore_launch: minicore attached!

My jailusers file has the following sdlterminal entry, so it looks ok:

7009:5000:com.veeho.sdlterminal:/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.veeho.sdlterminal:/etc/jail_native-palm.conf

When I tap on SDLTerminal, it doesn't open a window or anything. It's like nothing happens.
    Can't install through preware on the touchpad itself so tried with WebOS Quick Install and the .ipk and get this error message.

ERROR: An error occured while attempting to install .com.veeho.adlterminal_1.0.4_armv7.ipk

ipkj: invalid magic
    An error ocurred, return value: 22.

Then I just hit ok it says it is trying to run a postscript I hit yes and it just says ERROR:
    Quote Originally Posted by nseemann View Post
    Can't install through preware on the touchpad itself so tried with WebOS Quick Install and the .ipk and get this error message.

ERROR: An error occured while attempting to install .com.veeho.adlterminal_1.0.4_armv7.ipk

ipkj: invalid magic
    An error ocurred, return value: 22.

Then I just hit ok it says it is trying to run a postscript I hit yes and it just says ERROR:
    The download from Preware is corrupt or something. File never seems to download right. I manually downloaded the IPK and used palm-install to install it on my TouchPad. No errors, but it closes as soon as it starts up.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    The download from Preware is corrupt or something. File never seems to download right. I manually downloaded the IPK and used palm-install to install it on my TouchPad. No errors, but it closes as soon as it starts up.
    like wise, it will not install from preware. Installed it by directly accessing the IPL and letting preware install it. However, everytime I click on the icon it comes up with the background light and goes off. It fails to load.
    SDL Terminal doesn't work on the TouchPad. Why are people still trying?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. gcb
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    because it doesn't say so in the description?
    -- Rod
    Doesn't work on the pre3 either.

Why? probably because 3 clicks & screenswitch (Xserver back to Xececutah) > 1 click.

Just a question out of interest: would it be possible to call executah with parameters, like --startXserver --startXterm, and make a new 'app' on the screen with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by gcb View Post
    because it doesn't say so in the description?
    When you can find the author, he can fix that. Have you reported it to him?

-- Rod
    Doesn't work on the pre3 either.

Why? probably because 3 clicks & screenswitch (Xserver back to Xececutah) > 1 click.

Just a question out of interest: would it be possible to call executah with parameters, like --startXserver --startXterm, and make a new 'app' on the screen with it?
    We are working on a way to have multiple X servers running, so you can have multiple cards. Until we do that, any coding for convenience will just have to be rewritten later. Since this is still in the testing feed, convenience is way down the list after things simply working properly.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    Because it actually does?

I guess it's a matter of defining 'work.'

You can fire up the SDLterminal fine from a root prompt in novaterm. You do need a keyboard to use the terminal that appears as it doesn't support the software keyboard on the Touchpad.

The major problem appears to be the jail requirement. SDLterminal doesn't crash, the jail program crashes trying to setup the environment (SDLterminal expects to be in the root environment.)

All of these look to be simple things to get working, but the devil is in the details. For instance, if one ships a jail.conf it has to be signed or some generic, incorrect one will be picked at install time. Then there is the issue of accessing installed applications from any true jail, like ssh or a pseudo-terminal tool. Locating CLI apps installed later or to odd locations pose a challenge if a true jail is used.

Having another nice Terminal emulator is always good. Personal preference for them in Linux based environments means you'll often find a dozen people using a dozen difference terminals: terminator, gterm. kterm, gnome-terminal, not to mention some of the others (see Jun Auza's August 2010 Linux terminal emulators page at TechSource.)

For the off-topic discussion: the X11 support will be useful in itself with the ability to start Gimp, Dia, gedit, eclipse or what have you from your Linux workstation and use the tablet as long as you stay connected. So good luck on multi-card support.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    sdlterminal installation over preware hangs

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    sdlterminal installation over preware hangs

lol

This is a known issue that has been said in this thread a bunch of times. You can get the .ipk from the first post. The author has either abandoned this project and/or doesn't care enough to fix it.

M.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    i got the ipk
    i putted the ipk on my webspace
    i pointed the webos browser to the ipk
    preware opened and installed the ipk
    i click on sdlterminal icon under downloads

and ............

nothing happens

so how do i get a terminal on my brand new touchpad to configure sftp, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    i got the ipk
    i putted the ipk on my webspace
    i pointed the webos browser to the ipk
    preware opened and installed the ipk
    i click on sdlterminal icon under downloads

and ............

nothing happens

so how do i get a terminal on my brand new touchpad to configure sftp, etc

It would have helped if it was mentioned that you're using a TouchPad. This app doesn't work on the TouchPad. You need to look into Xecutah, and the whole Xserver/XTerm etc. route. There's no simple/quick way of having a terminal on the TouchPad. See just a posts up when a couple people (myself included) were having this exact conversation.

M.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast