Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I ask this because the popular photo filter/editing apps (like MOLO) upload images in order to get around the earlier limitation that edited images could not be saved to the device. The only app that locally processes and saves images on the device is a PDK app with a pretty bad UI (I really don't like using it).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by jezlyn View Post
    I ask this because the popular photo filter/editing apps (like MOLO) upload images in order to get around the earlier limitation that edited images could not be saved to the device. The only app that locally processes and saves images on the device is a PDK app with a pretty bad UI (I really don't like using it).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Anyone who knows the answer to this would be breaking their NDA to answer this, since that is still in place for the 2.x SDK.

I assume the app you don't like is Image Worker? I agree the UI isn't very spiffy, but it is definitely functional... The developer says an improved presentation of the app is coming.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Right, I was reminded on Twitter that 2.x is still under NDA. Will post on the early access forum, then.

Image Worker is functional, but I personally find it irritating to work with. For example, it's hard to be accurate with cropping when you can't move around the crop outline you've created. Coming from other much more functional photo editing apps from other mobile platforms, it's unpleasant to use Image Worker. But I bought it because it's the only webOS app that does local editing.
    Have you contacted the developer? He's usually pretty responsive. I have one of his other apps MapTool, and he's been quite helpful.

Can't find the forums thread for that app, but here is the developer site:
    L\'Haut-Parleur ImageWorker – 100% local image processing on WebOS
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Can I bump this, as i'd like to know also.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I'm pretty sure the reason that it needs to upload images is not because of the APIs per se.

Basically, it's not actually possible to do the image modification using Javascript. The Mojo-based (aka mostly Javascript) apps will just take the picture and upload it so that a server can do the modification because the Javascript just can't do it, not because of missing APIs.

ImageWorker is written in C as a PDK app, so while the interface can't be in Mojo, the actual processing can be done on the phone however the author wants.

I'm hoping that the 2.1 SDK allows hybrid apps in the catalog, myself (I haven't checked to see if it's possible yet). That would allow apps such as ImageWorker to have a Javascript/Mojo interface more like the built-in apps, while still using the C plugin to do the modifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm hoping that the 2.1 SDK allows hybrid apps in the catalog, myself (I haven't checked to see if it's possible yet).
    Apparently so. The closest that I can find to an announcement is a couple of tweets by Adora yesterday.

hybrid app submission went live today, but devs are reporting issues. Plz try and and lmk
    and
    hybrid = pdk + web, min version 2.1
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Hybrid apps in 2.1 will definitely allow a c/c++ backend to run atop a "web" based front end.

I'm pretty sure there's a basic image editing app floating around for 1.4.5 that utilizes either OpenGL or SDL for it's front end. I want to say MetaView wrote it.